Two spare or not two spare - that is the question ...

BigGuy82

I've been involved in a recent thread about changing spare tires utilizing Level Ups and I got to thinking (I hate when that happens - it scares me).

I don't think I've ever noticed an RV with two spares. Not that I was looking, but I just don't recollect ever seeing this. It also occurred to me that the possibility of getting a double flat is pretty high - you hit the same obstacle in the road or the second tire blows because of the additional stress placed on it when the first one went or you replace a flat and drive 50 miles and coincidentally it happens again, etc. Being as RV tires are not something you can walk into a local tire store and purchase off the rack, I'm curious to know if many of you carry a second spare. The rack under my Bighorn is certainly big enough and the extra weight is not an issue for us. I don't know if the rack is strong enough to hold two although I'm sure Heartland could advise. Would I have enough leverage to lift the rack back up with two tires on it? Any other concerns?

Seems to me to be cheap insurance. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Jim.Allison

I've been involved in a recent thread about changing spare tires utilizing Level Ups and I got to thinking (I hate when that happens - it scares me).

I don't think I've ever noticed an RV with two spares. Not that I was looking, but I just don't recollect ever seeing this. It also occurred to me that the possibility of getting a double flat is pretty high - you hit the same obstacle in the road or the second tire blows because of the additional stress placed on it when the first one went or you replace a flat and drive 50 miles and coincidentally it happens again, etc. Being as RV tires are not something you can walk into a local tire store and purchase off the rack, I'm curious to know if many of you carry a second spare. The rack under my Bighorn is certainly big enough and the extra weight is not an issue for us. I don't know if the rack is strong enough to hold two although I'm sure Heartland could advise. Would I have enough leverage to lift the rack back up with two tires on it? Any other concerns?

Seems to me to be cheap insurance. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

I have read stories on this site that confirm that one tire will blowout and its tandem will blow shortly after. That's not even considering hitting road debris or something of that nature.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I carried an extra, second, spare during our 2015 road trip to Alaska. Didn't need it. It was for my peace of mind. Would I do it again, for that trip?? Yes. Do I carry a second spare now? No.
It's an individual choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

I carried an extra, second, spare during our 2015 road trip to Alaska. Didn't need it. It was for my peace of mind. Would I do it again, for that trip?? Yes. Do I carry a second spare now? No.
It's an individual choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you carry it? In the same rack as the facory spare?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My 2 cents
I thought of it to but that rack is just to flimsy for me. If you had 2 tires on it you better put a winch system to pick it up and slide it back into place.
Out here in California we are never to far from a 24 hour tire shop or truck stop if it came to that.
I guess if you were traveling long distance in very rural areas with no services for many miles I would definitely add 1 more under there some how.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rxbristol

When I had another 5th wheel and experienced a couple of blowouts, I carried a second spare in the bed of the truck. Now that I know more about tires and use lowboy 18 ply types, I only have the one spare.

BigGuy82

When I had another 5th wheel and experienced a couple of blowouts, I carried a second spare in the bed of the truck. Now that I know more about tires and use lowboy 18 ply types, I only have the one spare.

Is there such an animal as a 16" lowboy tire or did you somehow covert to 17.5"? Also, back of the truck sounds like the easiest solution ... I have a long bed. I like to keep the bed clear but it's an easy solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rxbristol

Is there such an animal as a 16" lowboy tire or did you somehow covert to 17.5"? Also, back of the truck sounds like the easiest solution ... I have a long bed. I like to keep the bed clear but it's an easy solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They need a 17.5" rim. 235/75R17.5 Load Range J 18 Ply Rated Continental HTL2 Eco from TrailersTiresandWheels.com

Abear79

If I didnt have 2 I would have been in trouble. To make a bad situation worse, I had blow max on my coach. My 2 blowouts were within 150 miles and the 2nd one happened at 5am.

BigGuy82

They need a 17.5" rim. 235/75R17.5 Load Range J 18 Ply Rated Continental HTL2 Eco from TrailersTiresandWheels.com
Well, I checked them out. Good news - they sound perfect. Bad news - $2k+.

Disc brakes first, then probably these (or these when the factory boots wear out)

Thanks for the info.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Man those tires would feel like the old steel and wood wagon wheels on a 16K lbs RV.
I have a 18,000 Landmark with 4 H-rated tires with a total load capacity of 19200 lbs.
My trailer only weighs 14500 lbs on the axles so I'm well within my comfort zone with H rated tires.
Don't go over board and beat your trailer to death.

brianlajoie

I am already concerned about someone stealing my GY spare. I would be looking for some way to lock the tires (maybe together) down if I had 2 of them.

BigGuy82

Just ordered a seond spare tire/wheel combo. Figured better safe than sorry. For under $300, very cheap insurance. I'll store it in the truck box.

rxbristol

I have a 18,000 Landmark with 4 H-rated tires with a total load capacity of 19200 lbs.
My trailer only weighs 14500 lbs on the axles so I'm well within my comfort zone with H rated tires.

Good general rated tires at about 75% of capacity.

Piperflyer

I was given a spare tire and wheel from a Big Country. I just keep it in the bed of my truck laying down. Hopefully I won't need either spare

BigGuy82

Good general rated tires at about 75% of capacity.

Not the point. I'm hugely within the weight limit but that is not the only thing that causes tires to blow. Defective manufacturing and road hazards are also huge causes. And, even if you are within weight ratings, the failure of a tire causes much higher stress on the remaining boots, so depending on how fast you catch it and get off the road, there is a possibility of a second, immediate failure. Also, you could have a failure, change it, get 100 miles down the road and bam - another nail in the road. I can attest to that - it happened to me in a car.

So weight ratings were the last thing on my mind when I asked this question. Safety on long trips was.

- - - Updated - - -

I am already concerned about someone stealing my GY spare. I would be looking for some way to lock the tires (maybe together) down if I had 2 of them.

Agree. I'll be making a steel cable with a padlock to secure it in the truck. If they really want it, at least they'll need to work for it.