U Turn Question

lwmcguir

The folks noting the 3 or 4 axles rigs regarding tight turns are absolutely right. You run the risk of bending the hangers, cracking frames, and changing the axle alignment on the multiple axle configurations. You certainly want to pull up and back up a couple of times to un-stress the tires and metal parts after you are in place.

bigredtruck

We did it once at a campground and I sure didn't like the look of the tires, suspension etc. We try not to do it unless necessary now.

porthole

Retired
Lou,

With your truck I doubt you will get close enough to the cab without backing. The GM's just don't have the turning radius.

When I picked up my truck I did try it out with the u-turn stuff, and the 90 degree turn. There is no way I would have been able to make a 90 without the slider. Look at the pictures I posted.

After my first "turn around" in a parking lot, which I did just to try it, I decided I will try and avoid those maneuvers if possible. It really torques up the axles and tires. I would guess that the center line of the front tire to the rear tire was at least 6-8 apart from the "scrubbing".

If you want to practice, which I suggest you do, find a gravel parking lot. That is where I played around with the tight turn stuff (at Mor/Ryde).

The gravel allows the tires to slip and stay more in line.