Uh oh - I went and done it... F550 and Chariot RV hauler bed

seamo

Bob and Christina Seaman
congrats, Jim on your new baby. Bring it to Houston so we can see it.
Christina Seaman

jbeletti

Thanks Christina. I am flying to the Houston and Myrtle Beach rallies as I can't get another week off work for each of these. Should have baby pictures by these fall rallies though.

Please email me an update on that other matter you guys are working through.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I noticed you bought through Peck. They sure are great people to deal with. We bought a pick up from them several years ago (In Hampshire) and it was the best dealer we've ever used. Enjoy!

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Jim, you probably need to start buying some new shirts cause you know your chest size is going to be two sizes larger when you drive that new puppy home.:) Congrats, Ken & Kathy

kognito

Jim Beletti said:
The chassis has a 4.88 geared rear axle. If I wanted a 2007, I had to take the last one they had. The incentives were great on the 2007 chassis cab. Nothing near that was being offered on the 2008. But they had a lot of 2008s on hand.

IMHO, you did well Jim. When I got mine I searched and searched for a 2007 (Charoit was closed for the 4th of July when I was shopping for my truck)

From what I was reading on other forums, the 6.0 4.88 combo is getting much better mileage than the 6.4 4.88 combo.

I have only towed about 200 miles so far, and I got just under 10 MPG, but I'm still breaking everything in. Our trailer isn't full loaded yet, we move into it next month. So the 10MPG was only with about 16K weight, I'm sure I'll loose some when we get closer to 18K in the trailer.

Classy Chassis has a few 2007 F550 2X4's if anyone else wants to jump on the end of year specials. Tuscany and Utility Bodywerks (and now Chariot) only have 2008's

Doug

jbeletti

Doug - thanks. Also glad to hear that the PSD 6.0 with 4.88s should work well.

Ray - Went really well with Tom Peck Ford. I had no allegiance with any dealer and just went with who Chariot found that would do the deal I wanted. Bob Wright, their Fleet guy was great. I was also pleased with the trade value I received for my RAM. Now I really have to baby the RAM until the new truck comes in. Two more trips with the RAM and with the Mt. Rushmore.

I posted a small blurb about it in the For Sale forum and will add to it in the next couple weeks, but if anyone knows anyone who has an interest in an original platform Landmark Mt. Rushmore that is well maintained and pretty well appointed, send them my way.

Jim

vrugt

BigBlue, get a macerator pump! Pump yourself out into a (temp.) watertank on your TV. It certainly makes life a little bit easier.

BigBlue

BigBlue
vrugt
I have a macerator pump. The problem was with the campground. They didn't want any more water in their septic system because the campground was flooded. After our tank was filled I went to the office and they let me dump. They just wanted to control how much water was going into the sytem.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hey Jim,
I was just looking at your pictures again and was wondering if the lights in the bed are LED lights or incandescent? It would look really cool with LEDs

Mark

jbeletti

Mark,

I paid for the LED upgrade. They all have a chromed bezel too. A couple in the photo need the bezel added but it will be done. Note too that I had the Line-X taken 6" up the inside of the bed area. Standard was floor only. Didn't make sense to me. Toss something in back and as soon as it moves around, you have scratched and gouged paint.

Jim

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I see what you mean about the liner. Good idea. I think I would have been back and forth on whether or not to just go ahead and take the liner all the way up the side wall of the bed.

Glad to hear you will have LEDs and those chrome trim rings will look great.

Mark

sidney dreyfus

New Truck

Jim,
Good luck with the new truck! Nice going. Something great to look forward to and should be a lot of fun to drive.

jbeletti

Beast II has arrived!

Well, got a call from the Tom Peck Ford out in Huntley, IL - Beast II has arrived.

Planning to go pick it up tonight. Heading outside now to wash up the Ram. Gonna miss that truck. Maybe.....

Jim

jbeletti

Sorry DE, no Ram droppings.

Beast II is home. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them up when I get time.

I noticed the engine seems to chatter pretty loudly. I expect it will quiet down some as it gets broken in. It had 35 miles on it when I picked it up.

Suppose it's time for me to start evaluating extended warranties. Get one, don't get one. Get this one, get that one. Lot's to research. I didn't have one for the Ram. Good thing too as it required no uncovered R&Rs except batteries. But I killed them, not Dodge. Doubt batteries would have been covered anyway - so glad I saved the cost of an extended warranty on the Ram.

Now with the Ford, with the price I just paid for this beast, I'd hope I'll be keeping it for a good while. Since it no longer needs to be my daily driver (I now drive Nancy's 9 year old Toyota), I figure we'll put about 10,000 miles on the truck per year on average.

Here's the Ford coverages on this truck (2007 F550):
Bumper to Bumper - 3 year / 36,000 miles
Powertrain: 5 year / 60,000 miles
Safety Restraint System: 5 year / 60,000 miles
Corrosion (perf. only): 5 year / unlimited miles
6.0L Powerstroke Engine: 5 year / 100,000 miles

So, questions for y'all:

1. What's your thoughts on taking an extended warranty on a truck like this that I plan to keep for at least 5 to 7 years? I realize it's paying up front for repairs you may need down the road. I sense diesel repairs can be $$$.

2. What about The Protector system (paint, corrosion, interior and sound shield)? Anyone feel these are worth doing? The A package with all that stuff can be had with discounts at about $900. This truck has a fair amount of rusty components underneath already. Probably not the ones that get coated under this plan though. Sound dampening sounds like a nice idea. I suppose they do a heavy undercoating on the cab for that. I'll bet $500 in Dynamat under the carpet and in the doors would help too :eek:

Jim

K

Ken Washington

Hi Jim,
I for one do not go for extended warranties! If you put 30,000 miles on it the first three years, I believe that most problems will show up in that time! You are one that takes very good care of your vehicles so I would keep the money and hope for the best!

Ken

jimtoo

Hi Jim,
Congratulations on the new tow vehicle. I hope you have many miles of trouble free service. You ask for opinions of extended warranties, here is mine. I put in 34 years of service as parts and service manager of a GM dealership. I have done it all from sweeping floors to working on the vehicles and working with trying to get paid from these extended warranty companies. If you keep good records and stay in contact with you dealer, staying in good relations, you will most likely never need an extended warranty from an outside provider. Almost all manufacturers will go the extra mile to keep a customer happy if that customer has been faithful. Almost all aftermarket warranty companies that I have ever had anything to do with always tried their best to get out of paying for anything and usually succeeded. Usually for the least little thing, like the problem was caused by something not covered by the warranty.

So,,,, in my opinion... you waste your money with an aftermarket extended warranty. If the manufacture will give or sell one, that is a different story, they usually will cover everything. The manufacture likes happy customers.

Jim