Uh oh - I went and done it... F550 and Chariot RV hauler bed

billd

Jim,

For extended warranties I would only go with one from Ford (since that is what you bought). My parents had bought a 3rd party one and they went out of business and there was no recourse on getting their money back. Fords warranty is pretty good depending on the level you get. If you do some shopping online you can get the top of the line warranty for a pretty good price. Biggest thing is it is a gamble, you are betting around $3,000 that you are going to have repair issues, and Ford is hoping you wont. An example is the transmission is about a $4,000 repair bill out of warranty at a dealer. Under the extended one you pay your deductable if you chose one.

I dont like the paint protection products, a good detailing once a quater is cheaper in the long run for me.

Sound deading is a good idea.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill

kognito

Jim,

With the ford extended plan, you must purchase it before you have 12,000 miles. I learned this the hard way with my F350, I thought I could extend the factory warranty when we got close to the end of the 3year 36,000 but then found out you have to do it before 12,000 miles.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Congratulations on your new ride Jim.
I bet you'll really enjoy that when you start camping again.

As for extended warranties, I go back and forth on these. Although with my current truck, which is my first ever diesel truck I did buy an extended warranty 7 years, 100,000 miles. While I know it is a crap shoot whether or not I get my money out of it I feel better that most high dollar things will be covered. As it happens I recently needed a new wheel bearing which also incorporates the speed sensor needed for ABS brakes. This was a pretty expensive repair if it was not covered under warranty. The bearing itself was in excess of $450.00 and I can only imagine the labor was a least 1.5 hours+ at some outrageous hourly rate.

Another school of thought is to not buy the extended warranty and instead set money aside monthly in a separate account that would have been spent on the warranty itself. In essence creating your own insurance policy. This sounds like a good idea but I for one do not always have the discipline to do something like this.

Have fun with the new awesome toy,

Mark

BluegrassMan

HEY Jim congtats! on your new truck,the example looks great in the signature. I've started "Blinging" up my truck. I now have the chrome door handle covers on, Line-X done, hitch is in, rear Mud-flaps are ordered, Bugshield in chrome is ordered, not much out there for the 08' Super Duty's yet. I hope you have good success with your new "baby".

As far as extended warranties go, I'm getting the Ford ESP 6yr/75K-$100 deductable online for $1515. My local dealer was higher.

jimtoo

I think I'm right, but why buy an extended warranty that covers 6yrs-75,000 miles, when the factory warranty is 5 yrs- 100,000 miles.. Please check to be sure.

jbeletti

Jim,

You make a good point.

I am just discussing ideas and exploring options.

Note that the 5 year / 60,000 miles warranty is Power Train only - which is probably pretty inclusive.

Thereafter, to 100,000 miles unless I have hit 5 years already, it's certain covered engine components only.

Maybe I'll get the best truck ever produced and be a happy man for a long time.

Thanks Jim and everyone for all the great input.

Jim

BluegrassMan

Guys:

I really don't want to spend any more for the truck, Lord knows it was enough to start with, BUT, if you look at the things COVERED in the bumper to bumper 3/36, then think about just one of the big ticket items, you'll be money ahead. the 6/75, doubles the original warranty time.

You know the companies are always changing their product(making it cheaper)and most of the time it doesn't last as long. I hear that Ford went to a "cheaper" wheel bearing set up in the front 4 wheel drives. It's a "sealed" bearing that CAN'T be serviced like normal, it is removed and replaced totally, at a cost of $900 per side.

Lets face it, you spend $60+K for a truck, whats $1-2K for some peace of mind way down the road. On my Dodge I bought the basic 6/75 plan for $1000, My radiator sprung a leak about 4yrs old, the radiator alone with out labor was over $600. Then at 72K miles, it started shifting funny (only when pulling my 5ver) it took a new valve body in the tranny, I don't know how much that would have cost. I more than covered my butt on that one. With labor rates in the $70-$80+ in my area, it doesn't take long to eat up the $1500 or more for the ESP. This is just my opinion based on the past, I never buy ext. warranties on DVD players,washers,dryers etc. I know it's another way to make big $$$ for Sears etc.

happyrover

New Wheels

WOW Jim, that is one fine looking piece of machinery. Congratulations.
Just completed a 23 states, 18,000 mile trip with our new Landmark Grand Canyon and 2007 Dodge Ram 1 ton 4x4 quad cab Big Horn pac brake set of wheels. Had no problems whatsoever towing up the steepest grades or going down the same. Totally happy with truck and 5er. In all the travels, saw only 1 Landmark on the road. This full timing is really great. Once again, congratulations on the new wheels. Tell the bride we said howdy.

jbeletti

Mel my friend! I have been thinking about you and Nina. You don't write, you don't call ;)

So happy to hear you guys are out there enjoying life full-time on the road. Guess who I am here in Houston with?

A lot of fine folks including some of your full-timing buddies you met in Goshen. Bob and Christina (seamo) are here with their Landmark pulled by Big Momma and Tom and Judy (Tom of Ypsi) are here with their Landmark.

And just two weeks back, I spent the weekend with more of your full-timing friends from the Goshen rally - Joseph and Gene (jcd8822) and Kathy and Connie (kathcon) among others from the 2006 and/or 2007 Goshen rallies.

Fun times - wish you could be here at Rayford Crossing north of Houston in Spring, TX.

Take care,

Jim and Nancy (yorkiemom)

PS: Nancy says hi as well

gawelsh

Hey, was anyone caught up in the terrible storms in Elkhart County a couple of nights ago ? On the evening news, we saw the GulfStream factory which really took a hit.....scary stuff, hope no one was riding it out in their RV !

nhunter

I bought extended warranty for my 04 but not for the 06. In Canada you can buy the extended warranty up until 60000km(36000mi). If you buy the extended warranty your $100 deductable for engine repair over 36000m is waived. I think they have most of the bugs worked out and should have no problems.