Universal Docking Center Plumbing Upgrades

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Good job Chris. I have a PEX Crimping tool. Don't have a cutter. How about showing us a couple of pictures of the tools you used.

Also where did you begin your work. Many of the water hoses that run away from the UDC are difficult to move. It is almost like they are in a bind between tanks and other parts. As you said don't take it all apart at once.

Thanks
BC

wyleyrabbit

Hi Bobcat,

The trailer is at the dealership for the next couple of days, and I think my PVC/PEX tool is in there. I think everything else is here. We're just going out for dinner, but I can take some tool pics tomorrow.

Chris

sgtbigb

Well I am on my second shake down trip and I have tried to stop a water leak from the city water fill. I have tighten whie plastic three prong nut as tight i could. Need some ideal what I should do next. I am thinking about removing the three prong nut and wrapping some white plumber tape around the tread. I am open to all ideals. If I can not fix I going have cut my outing and take back to the dealer. Any help would be appreciated.

jnbhobe

Gene; try changing the rubber washer or the hose you are useing, or maybe useing two washers. Jon

sgtbigb

Well I beleive found the problem. the leak was behind the cold water hand shower outlet, not thr fresh water inlet. I back the three prong nut all the way out and notice that it was not screw in all the way and somewhat crooked. I put plumber tape around the tread and srewed it back. So far so good!

jnbhobe

Good deal Gene; It was just playing a little Hide & Seek with you, LOL. Glad everything is better now. JON

John T Bettencourt

This is so sad as I read all the replies to these issues. We paid tons of money for these trailers and have to rebuild them. It is just not right Thanks for letting me vent, John

aatauses

sgtbigb---another place to look is the pressure relief valve----they are made pf plastic (not brass like other rigs) and they crack very easily or the small rubber nut inside comes off---this has happened to me about 5 times in the last year. Just take off your complete inlet pieces and the pressure relief valve will be right there, just waiting to be changed!!!
al

wyleyrabbit

sgtbigb---another place to look is the pressure relief valve----they are made pf plastic (not brass like other rigs) and they crack very easily or the small rubber nut inside comes off---this has happened to me about 5 times in the last year. Just take off your complete inlet pieces and the pressure relief valve will be right there, just waiting to be changed!!!
al

aatauses,

I don't remember seeing any pressure relief valves behind the UDC. Do you have one back there?

Chris

wyleyrabbit

2010-04 Canon 590I&#8.JPG2010-04 Canon 590I&#8.JPG2010-04 Canon 590I&#8.JPG2010-04 Canon 590I&#8.JPG2010-04 Canon 590I&#8.JPG

As requested, here are pictures of the tools I used to complete the job. I didn't bother taking photos of my pliers or crescent wrenches, they're nothing special.

Here are pictures of the wire cutters, the PEX cutter, the PEX crimp tool open and closed, and the essential teflon thread tape.

Cutting old crimp rings off is a tricky endeavour. It requires strong hands and a ton of twisting back and forth to get the stronger-than-you'd-think stainless steel to fatigue enough to break. Wear leather work gloves too, as the broken crimp rings are very sharp.

Cheers,
Chris

2010augusta

There are check valves built into the city fill and black water flush as well as the out let of the water heater.

aatauses

The pressure relief valve I am talking about is the one where your incoming water goes. It is right behind the small screen as you twist on your incoming hose. If you look behind the udc usually that is where I find the leak and then go to the front of the udc and take off the large piece (that includes this and the fresh water fill) and then you can easily?? change the pressure relief valve.
a
Thanks, I think it is called a check valve rather than pressure relief.l

SmokeyBare

One method of a repair to the Inlet Water Check Valve. Attach a Garden Hose Shut off Valve. They usually are a Ball Valve type. Screw it on the fitting and then attach the City Water to that valve. When you use the Water tank with the on board water pump, just close that valve to prevent the water from flowing out the Inlet Port.

Good Luck,

Marv

SilverRhino

View attachment 7765View attachment 7766View attachment 7767View attachment 7768View attachment 7769

As requested, here are pictures of the tools I used to complete the job. I didn't bother taking photos of my pliers or crescent wrenches, they're nothing special.

Here are pictures of the wire cutters, the PEX cutter, the PEX crimp tool open and closed, and the essential teflon thread tape.

Cutting old crimp rings off is a tricky endeavour. It requires strong hands and a ton of twisting back and forth to get the stronger-than-you'd-think stainless steel to fatigue enough to break. Wear leather work gloves too, as the broken crimp rings are very sharp.

Cheers,
Chris

Easy way to get the PEX bands off and not harm the fittings is to use a Dremel moto tool with a metal cutting disc. If you have the right angle head attachment it makes it even easier.

wdk450

Re:
Cutting off the old crimp rings. Do you think that a Dremel tool with a cutoff disk (sometimes used for cutting off protruding nails) would be better than the wire cutters for this?

wyleyrabbit

Re:
Cutting off the old crimp rings. Do you think that a Dremel tool with a cutoff disk (sometimes used for cutting off protruding nails) would be better than the wire cutters for this?

Not sure. I have a dremel but didn't consider using it for this. My concern with those cutoff disks is that sometimes they break and pieces fly everywhere. Additionally, there's more to removing an old crimp ring than just cutting in to the raised "pinch". If you're going to try the dremel, then make sure to wear work gloves and good eye protection.

My $0.02.

Chris