Unusal wearing of just the inside of the tire

teddy5408

I am wondering if anyone has ever experienced a tire wearing on the inside of the left rear axle on a Sundance Ultra Light? I have a 26RB trailer that wears the inside of the tire, and only on the left side of the axle.

danemayer

Hi Teddy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I once had a single tire wearing hard on the outside edge. Turned out to be a bent axle - probably from a bad bridge joint on I-10.

jbeletti

Teddy - I have a 2020 Sundance 262RB travel trailer and I had unusual wear on the inside of the left rear tire. I kept an eye on it and over a few hundred miles, it got worse. I put the spare on and over time, it too wore oddly.

Then I noticed the right tire of the rear axle starting to wear oddly. Long story short, my rear axle had lost its camber (de-arched). A replacement axle was the fix.

Take a look at both axles for camber. You should see a slight upward arch near the center of the axle tubes. Then look straight on at the RV from the rear. Do all 4 tires look like they are vertical?

My rear axle tires were squatty - the top of the tires were slightly tipped inward and the bottom of the tires bowed outward slightly.
IMG_7460.jpg

teddy5408

Hi Teddy,

I once had a single tire wearing hard on the outside edge. Turned out to be a bent axle - probably from a bad bridge joint on I-10.

Thank you for your comment. I have the dealer ordering an axle. My theory is that the black water and gray water tanks filled as I used them and traveled across the country... from Maine to New Mexico... we stopped at rest areas and truck stops along the way and didn't dump for a couple of days... and as the weight increased we began to see wear on the tire. After dumping the black and gray waters, I was able to protect the wearing of the tire. I had to purchase another tire because of the excessive wear on the "spare". The original tire was removed for a spare after 3100 original miles. That was concerning! Thanks again for the reply.

teddy5408

Hi Teddy,

Thanks for the message... I also had some rough roads... the thing that causes concern is the 3100 miles and the wear on only one tire... the left rear axle. I replaced the tire with the spare and had the wheels balanced and had the mechanic rotate the original tire so the inside, worn area, would be on the outside of the rim. I pulled the unit another six hundred miles on the "new" tire without issue. I left Denver without dumping the black and gray, (we were at a campground and used the facilities there mostly)... the dump valve was slightly frozen and I didn't see an issue of not forcing it and traveled to Salina, Kansas before dumping. It was too late... the tire was worn on the inside almost down to the point of showing the cords of the tire. I purchased an new tire; put it on the ground and kept the gray and black water emptied; I was able to travel back to Maine without issue. I did have about 5 gallons or less in each of the tanks, gray and black, when I arrived in Maine. That's the whole story... and why I asked the question. My thought is that the weight in the tanks caused the wear. Any thoughts?

danemayer

Time to go to a truck stop and spend $10 on a CAT Scale to find your actual weight, loaded for travel. Let the operator know you'll take 2 readings.

Pull your truck and trailer onto the scales, with truck on one scale and trailer on the other. Get the weight. Pull off and unhitch so you can get the 2nd weighing with truck only.

The difference between the 2 weights is your Gross Actual Vehicle Weight (GAVW). Compare that to the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) on the plaque located on the front, off-door-side of your trailer.

If your actual weight is close to GVWR, then towing without dumping the tanks is probably overloading the axle.

And as Jim suggested, take a look at the camber of the axles as loaded for travel.

teddy5408

Time to go to a truck stop and spend $10 on a CAT Scale to find your actual weight, loaded for travel. Let the operator know you'll take 2 readings.

Pull your truck and trailer onto the scales, with truck on one scale and trailer on the other. Get the weight. Pull off and unhitch so you can get the 2nd weighing with truck only.

The difference between the 2 weights is your Gross Actual Vehicle Weight (GAVW). Compare that to the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) on the plaque located on the front, off-door-side of your trailer.

If your actual weight is close to GVWR, then towing without dumping the tanks is probably overloading the axle.

And as Jim suggested, take a look at the camber of the axles as loaded for travel.

Excellent idea! I will certainly do that! Thanks for the help, and the reply! I have bedded the unit down for the winter... and I will have to wait until spring to do as you suggest! Thank you again!

mlpeloquin

My Big Horn had wear on the inside of two tires. I took it into a truck trailer alignment shop and they confirmed it was a bent axle. Most likely do to the wonderful roads. I had them realign the axle at a cost of $356.00. Ran true for another year and a half until another trip across the country. I did not wait for the wear to show up much. I took it back and they confirmed it was out again, but not as bad. They realigned it again at a cost of $280.00. Unless you want to put a higher rated axle on, just have them realigned.

Getting your trailer weight is important. The best is to have a scale on each tire so you know that you are not over weight on one side, but not for the entire axle. I had mine done at Goshen national rally and the Los Vegas national rally. Both times the weight was within spec. I have done a search for trailer wheel position weighing. Leale's RV repair in San Jose, CA for $89.00. The RVSEF or Escapees RV Club Smart Weigh Program does this. You will have to do a good search on "Trailer Wheel Position Weighing". I also search local independent RV repair business in my area for services that they preform. That is how I found Leale's near me.

Found this on a quick search:

RV Safety & Education Foundation (RVSEF) https://rvsafety.com/schedule

Weigh To Go, LLC https://weightogollc.com/

SNOKING

If one does not add additional fresh water, how does carry water in the grey and black tanks over load the trailer?

danemayer

If one does not add additional fresh water, how does carry water in the grey and black tanks over load the trailer?

If the trailer is overloaded because of stuff that's being carried, it could be at or even above GVWR before any water is put in any tank. The way to find out is to get weighed.