Update on 2011 Ford F450

ScubaSteve

Full Timer
I have hit 4,100 miles on my F450. Since 2,000 of that was towing, I had to get some Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) before an oil change. An indication comes pops up at 1/2 DEF tank. Later, a DEF low warning comes on and counts down miles remaining. It started at either 600 or 800 miles, I can't remember. We got it down to 403 miles remaining when we finally filled it up. At a lower mileage, the truck will be limited to 55mph (I think at 300 miles remaining, not sure), and when empty, only engine idle allowed. I have heard that you can get DEF at truck stops and I'll verify that on an upcoming trip. I have an extra gallon now. Unfortunately, Ford dealers and service departments are still lacking in knowledge about the new engines. It was painful trying to find someone who knew what DEF was. The guy that finally had a clue said that this was the second truck he's put DEF in. The first was a F350 dually that had been hauling trailers and was about 5,000 miles.

For mileage, getting 14mpg city which is what I was getting in my 2008 F250 6.4l. I still haven't made it back on the highway without towing, so I'll have an update later. Driving home from the dealer I was getting 17mpg highway. With the Cyclone 3950 I'm getting 9.0-8.5 mpg at 65-70mph and at 60mph I'm getting 9.8 mpg. With my cargo trailer I'm getting 10.5 at 70mph which is quite a jump over the 08 F250 where I was getting 9.0.

I still love the truck and my front end replacement is finally in stock, now I just have to find time to make the 500 mile trip to get it installed //heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I met a guy that owns a 2011 F350 and he got his DEF at the local convenience store. Auto parts stores will probably carry it too.

ScubaSteve

Full Timer
I think it depends on where you're at. There has not been any at convenience stores in the area here. Autozone had less of a clue than the local Ford dealership. I'm definitely going to keep my eye out as I stop to fill up from now on.

ScubaSteve

Full Timer
Just went on a quick weekend trip to the Little Red River in Arkansas. Averaged just about 9.2 mpg. The roads are a little smaller requiring stops through towns and a lot of up and down once in the Ozarks.

ricatic

I have 6800 miles on my truck now. 3000 plus with the Big Horn behind it. I have added about 5 gallons so far and the info center still shows OK. I have looked for the DEF at most truck stops I have gotten fuel at. Loves. Pilot, Petrol and Flying J all have it. It was $12 at Flying J and up to $15 at the Pilot. I did get a free DEF refill at the Ford dealer. It is part of the Welcome Package you get in the mail. I carry a spare 2.5 gallons in the trailer just in case. I am so pleased with this new truck. Ford has hit a grand slam with this power train combo. It is no wonder that the Kentucky Assembly Plant is running at full capacity. I read somewhere they are building 4000 diesels a month.

Regards

kidkaboom1

Hi Steve,

I was wondering what kind of hitch you are using and are you experiencing "chucking". I just bought the 2011 450 & 2011 3950 love them both, but I'm new and using B&W Companion, just seeing how you may have yours setup. Thanks

Tom of Ypsi

For those people looking at the Dodges because it has been rumored they wll not need the DEF that is false. We were at Utility Bodywerks outside of Elkhart, In the other day and there was a brand new 5500 Dodge chassis with the DEF filler hose on it. Surprised me and the people at the shop.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
The latest news from FORD, More POWER!

In the past, if you wanted more horsepower in your pickup, you had to go and buy a new truck. Now Ford is offering an upgrade in power to Super Duty owners through a software flash.Even if someone bought a Super Duty with a 6.7-liter Powerstroke V-8 turbocharged diesel earlier in the year, Ford is offering to let them bring it in to get an upgrade that will bring it up to 800 foot-pounds of torque and 400 horsepower -- and even a bit more fuel economy. Ford says that's best in class, an improvement of 10 horsepower and 65 foot-pounds of torque.
All the upgrade takes is a a half-hour at the dealership. Trucks in dealer inventory will also get the upgrade and Ford says the upgrade will go into trucks on the production line this week.
The upgrade program will begin by Aug. 31 and continue for the next 12 months. The 2011 Super Duty diesel pickups in dealer inventory also will receive the upgrade.
"We want to take care of our loyal, F-Series Super Duty pickup owners," said Barb Samardzich, Ford's vice president of powertrain engineering. Ford quotes a dealer, Marc Cross, co-owner of Jordan Ford in San Antonio, as saying the program will be a hit with his truck buyers:
"Simply put, I love it," said Cross, who has been with the dealership since 1987 and a co-owner since 2003. "Not just the increased power, which is fantastic, but the fact that I can call my loyal customers who bought the 2011 Super Duty diesel pickups at the outset and let them enjoy this upgrade, too.

This latest initiative complements ongoing customer service related to the introduction of the new Power Stroke. 2011 Super Duty diesel pickup customers also can return to their dealers for one no-charge DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) top-off. DEF is used in the aftertreatment system to help reduce emissions. It generally is topped off during oil-change service intervals, depending on customer use.

"For customers who haven't yet taken advantage of this free offer for a DEF top-off, the software upgrade might be the perfect time to come in and have both services at once, free of charge," said Doug Scott, Truck Group Marketing Manager.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sounds like a good deal to me. An Ford isn't using Federal Bail-out money either.

jayc

Legendary Member
Tom,
Something I learned from a Dodge dealer was that the cab and chassis trucks are required to use the DEF, not the pickups.

shelsay

Diesel Engineer--

Can you tell us where your info on the update came from? We'd like to follow-up with our local dealer on our new truck.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
A Ford executive stated that the power flash update wasn't included in the original 450's because they wasnted to make sure all was ok with the new diesel first. Not a good statement to make since it could be interpretted as meaning there may now be problems with the new flash upgrade installed or they aren't sure if there will be.

ricatic

I am sure enjoying my new truck. I follow the new 6.7 diesel on several boards. The new flash was announced late last week. As was mentioned earlier, the new programming will be installed no charge for all sold trucks. This will commence around the end of the month. Letters will be sent to all registered owners detailing the procedure. In regards to the owners of F450 chassis/cab trucks, I am unsure if the flash will be included . The programming is different as is the turbocharger. The chassis/cabs are derated due to Ford not having control over the finished product, particularly emissions. In all my research I have not heard of any comments attributed to a Ford executive about reliability issues resulting in a derating of power. Ford was hinting about more power being available from day one. They knew their early introduction of power numbers would be trumped by a competitors later release. They have hinted already there is more available if needed to stay on top. It is laughable that we, the buying public, buy into these power wars. All 3 manufacturers build capable towing machines that currently have more power today than Class 8 tractors had not that long ago. Lets go camping

Regards

Last edited:

ricatic

Nothing to excuse. The new programming being discussed here is for the 2011 6.7 Ford manufactured diesel engine that debuted last spring. Ford has had some reprogramming available for the 6.4 for quite some time. If your truck is still running the original programming they certainly have some help available for you. Your dealer will have to read the information off the data port to tell you for sure. If you have less than 100000 miles on your truck, there should be no charge under your 5 years/100000 mile emissions warranty. Do not let them charge you a deductible.

Regards

Bighurt

Ford will only reflash the 6.4L PCM if the outlined fix for a thrown code say to do that. Just like the bad radiator can't be replaced till yours is actually bad...

Last edited:

ricatic

I have to admit my expertise resides in the 6.0 engine and is developing daily with the new 6.7 diesel. I have little experience with the 6.4 that is not anecdotal. The warranty procedures should be the same. According to the postings I have seen there was reprogramming done to all the early 2008 6.4's for mileage and DPF issues. hose should have been done to the OP's truck. My suggestion was for him to make sure all TSB provided flashes were done to his truck.

Regards

ScubaSteve

Full Timer
I had a 6.4l and I doubt there will be any flash update that will improve your mileage to compete with the 6.7l. If they do have an update anything would be an improvement. The 6.4l couldn't even compete with the EGR cooler problem plagued 6.0l. I was got about 15% reduction in mileage from my 05 6.0 to the 08 6.4l. Both were F250 can't remember the differentials. Mileage with the 6.7l F450 is in the same neighborhood as the 05 6.0l or possibly slightly less, but still higher than the 6.4l.

On a separate note, I just installed Timbren SES yesterday. I wanted to get it installed before we hit the road in a couple weeks for a nice 2000 mile trip! Curious to see how it rides under load. Pictures and info on the install are on our blog. Looking forward to hitting a few new campgrounds :D