Upgrade or New truck ?

DMaxRocks

I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD without any of the exhaust brake options . . .

If you know how to ride the tranny . . . going downhill in the Rocky Mountains ain't no issue!

While I wish I did have the exhaust brake option . . . I will have it when I purchase my next new truck.

Until then . . . I do know how to drive the Rocky Mountains . . . !

Is your truck gas vs. diesel? The exhaust brake is a must for diesel vehicles pulling heavy in the mountains. I'm not even sure if you can put an exhaust brake on a gas engine.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Is your truck gas vs. diesel? The exhaust brake is a must for diesel vehicles pulling heavy in the mountains. I'm not even sure if you can put an exhaust brake on a gas engine.

It is a 2015 Chevy 2500HD gasser with the Vortec V8 and the 4.10 rear end.

It is my daily driver so I didn't want a diesel for that.

ProwlerInSantaFe-IMAG0216.jpg TruckAtGrandCanyon-IMG_3537.jpg

SNOKING

Compared to compression braking of a gas engine, diesels engines more or least free wheel down hills. Also the I-6 Cummins does this more than the two V-8 diesels for some reason. Thus the exhaust brake is more or less a requirement.

Loved the Bank EB on my 2001.5 RAM, and still learning to use the one on my 2015. The Banks brake was more predicable, coming on quicker and working better at lower RPMs. The 3.42 gears in the 2015 vs th 4.10's in the 2001.5 might be in play.

Chris

JohnD

All I know is this . . .

Even though I have the gas engine, having the 4.10 rear end is awesome!

My 2015 Chevy 2500HD gasser with the 4.10 rear end is a trailer hauling beast!

And so far none of the big Colorado mountain passes haven't slowed down this truck!

ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

Notice the Ford F150 in the background with the hood up . . . and it isn't even a camper trailer in tow!

We'll be going over this pass again one week from today on our way to Blue Mesa (Gunnison), Colorado!

Photo in my sig line is where we are going next week.

JohnD

I thought they were RAM'n it? How does F350 get into this? Chris

I don't know . . . but about a month ago I saw a Ford F-350 SRW crew cab long bed pull out of the local Ford dealership (Omeara Ford in Northglenn) and it was the ugliest truck I've ever seen!

I've never seen one that looked like that so I assumed it was a new 2017!

Doesn't matter what it can pull . . . I'd never buy it because of the way it looked!

Like I said . . . it was butt ugly!

IronJ

I don't know . . . but about a month ago I saw a Ford F-350 SRW crew cab long bed pull out of the local Ford dealership (Omeara Ford in Northglenn) and it was the ugliest truck I've ever seen!

I've never seen one that looked like that so I assumed it was a new 2017!

Doesn't matter what it can pull . . . I'd never buy it because of the way it looked!

Like I said . . . it was butt ugly!
If I only had a nickel for every curmudgeon that said that about the new front and dually fenders (Myself first and foremost!!) When the 6.7 hit the lots , and now owns one, I could have paid for my last new 6.7...lol...no but really

I gotta say I DO NOT like the new dually fenders and the front end does resemble a chevy...does that mean I wouldent buy one?..remains yet to be seen.....

None the less, when it comes to heavy towing and finesse......that there ford is a beast...looks are objective/subjective

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

JohnD

All I'm saying is this . . .

I saw one . . . and judging on looks . . . it was ugly and I wouldn't buy one,