Upgraded Kitchen light fixture to LED

Garypowell

We use the kitchen light fixture a lot. Both when working in the kitchen and when watching TV it provides back lighting. I have been converting the normal bulbs to LED in the rig but could not find a suitable replacement for the wedge bulb in the kitchen fixture. I figured the next best thing would to simply change out the lamp holder inside the fixture.

I have been purchasing all my LED’s from China (www.ledlightbulb.net). Usually the price beats anything else I have found with the only disadvantage that it takes about 4 – 6 weeks to arrive. When I ask a question I normally get an answer the next day.

I decided on the G10 base since there were a good variety of lamps available. I chose a 5 watt light which from my understanding of how it was rated is about 3 times the light I was getting from the standard wedge based bulb. And visually it looks about 3 times brighter too…..really lights up nicely.

I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves but…..Like a wordless workshop.

1. The only difficulty I had was that the porcelain base was too large for the nut (that held the shade on) to fit over. It took me about ½ hour of grinding each but I finally reduced the size so the nut would fit over the new lamp holder. On one of the lamp holders it was still a very tight fit so I put the lamp fixture in the freezer and heated up the nut with hot water to help with the fit.

2. It might not be clear that the wedge lamp holder was bolted to the frame of the fixture. Once the bolt was removed and wires cut I used the same bolt to fasten the new lamp holder to the frame of the light. The frame had to be bent 90 degrees so the light would shine down.

1. Fixture Removed.JPG2. Original Wedge Light.JPG3. Shade Removed.JPG4. Wedge Socket removed.JPG5. New Lampholder wired.JPG6. Wiring from Back side.JPG7. Ready for Lamp Shade.JPG8. Shade Installed.JPG9. Testing.JPG10. Finished.JPG11. Overall look.JPG