User Cooper's Blowout - 2006-October

jbeletti

Cooper/Chuck,

Try this: jcautopart@worldnet.att.net / 253-922-1234

My guess is that they won't work either.

Another route is through Tredit. Try them at their Elkhart number on their website. I beleive they supply most of Heartland's tires/wheels

And finally, if Tredit is no help, give Scott Tuttle at call (574-262-5992) at Heartland. He should be able to point you in the right direction.

morganm12

George
Blowout (LOAD BOSS tire)

These are pics of my blowout and damage in Jun this year. Less than 2000 miles and speeds of 60 mph + or - 5. This damage was repaired by LSI in Elkhart. The first bill was $1100 and paid for by my $500 deductable Ins. Heartland paid $350 of my deductable. LSI had a problem matching my wheels and tires so it was resubmitted to my Ins and was approved to replace all four tires and wheels. The replacement tires were MISSION RADIAL S/T for trailer service only. The LOAD BOSS bias tread separated. I didn't keep the alligator that came off and done the damage pictured below so Heartland didn't even try for warranty replacement or to recover any cost from the tire company.

Attachments

• Flat Tire 1.jpg
    Flat Tire 1.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Flat Tire 3.jpg
    Flat Tire 3.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

osims

bsims
I have decided to buy new tires for the 3055 so now the question. The tires i have now are 235/80/16E, when i called the michelin dealer i was told they do not make 80 only 85 or 75 which is probably not a problem but he also said these tires are not made with G rating only E rating, is that what most are using.

jpmorgan37

osims;

If you decide to buy G rated tires, make sure your rims are G rated or rated for 110 psi. If they are rated for 80 psi, go with the E rated tires.

John

ct0218

Those are 17" Mastercraft tires, load range E. I believe your OEM tires were LR E also, but are 16". I'm not sure of the actual load rating because it is an odd size, probably around 3000# per tire. Not familiar with them though. If I was going to buy replacement tires in that size I would buy something that is as tough as you can get, and that would be the Michelin XPS rib--never heard anyone complain about them. There are other good tires also, and premium tires are costly (but a lot cheaper than a repair).

tdharley

I emailed them and they said they could get them in a 16" tire.

Somewe in the back of my mind I tought I read on a forum somewhere that these were an "off" brand of a major tire company.

I could be wrong though

ct0218

I found that Mastercraft is owned by Cooper, and they also own Kenda and a few others. Other than that, I don't know much about them. I have never owned any Cooper products.

phranc

I put Coopers on My last trailer ( a Jayco) and had nary a problem.. They were NOT ST tires but were LT.. ... 'E' rated...16 in

ct0218

Go for them! At least they're made here, and you can talk to someone in the US if you have a problem. I'm soon replacing my Trail America chinese tires with Goodyear G614 RST tires, the same ones Jim B put on a couple of months ago. I don't want to experience what Cooper just went through.

Cooper

I have ordered the G614 my problem is finding a new set of wheels at the correct rating. 16x7'',6.5 bolt pattern, 8 lug, 110PSI and 3750 load range. I would like a different design than the OEM ones (made in China).
So far ALCOA wheels look like the best at $250.00 per. but I do not like the design it looks to much like the OEM ones.

ct0218

I don't know if Heartland is still using Trail America tires or not, but it is doubtful that the damage would ever be covered by the tire manufacturer if you can't get in touch with them. The website is incomplete, and that is another bad sign. I've searched and cannot locate anything on JCA Corp.

Cooper

Coopers Blowout Pic

Here are the pic that show my blowout. It does not look like $4200.00 worth of damage in the pic, but there is a lot of damage under the trailer.
I will pick up my G614 today, but I have not found wheels yet. Finding wheels rated 3750 lbs and 110 PSI is hard. I started to buy my tires at NTB ($ 269.22)but they wanted an extra $29.00 for road hazard and they pro rate them if damaged. So I bought them at Discount Tire for $260.00 and the road hazard is included and the tire is fully covered until 2/32 no pro rates.

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
K

Ken Washington

Cooper,
Thanks for the pictures. I know that this is not a good experience to go though! I hope that I do not have this happen as it will be the last straw and you will see mine up for sale. Too much money is being paid for these units to have some of the problems that we are seeing on this forum! Hope your repair will look nice and you will be back on the camping trail soon.

Ken

J

Jim_1899

Wow I had have been driving on the highway with good conditions at between 70 to 77mph. Pulling the trailer has been very smooth. On two lane highways I go very slow. I will have to check to see what type of tire my 06 Bighorn has and check the air before I leave tommorrow for Mark Twain State Park.

Tires can be a problem I guess everyone remembers the Ford Exployer. So far I have been blessed since I have never had a blowout, just my tires wearout pretty fast. I have 33,000 miles on my 05 Ford F350.

Reading about the blow outs make realize that driving slower is safer and to keep checking my air pressure each time I get fuel.