Using a lot of gas... is this normal?

ctrim

Hello all, we are new to a used 2015 Heartland Oakmont. It is being used for full time living, we turn the furnace off during the day while at work and back on at night, but it is 30 or so at night here. So, we are using propane for the furnace, hot water and cooking. We are going through a 7 gal tank every 3 to 4 days. Does that seem like way too much or normal? Thank you!

jmarnell

We've been out in pretty cold weather since Sunday afternoon. Now on Wednesday morning we've used most of 1 of our 2 tanks. So your usage could be normal. A lot depends on how warm you keep your thermostat setting and how much hot water and cooking you do. For us, we have pets so we run the furnace 24 hours a day, but we run our hot water heater primarily on electric while in the RV park.

LBR

I would call it normal for using the furnace in constantly cold temps....it is the largest consumer of propane compared to water heaters, stove, oven, and refrigerators when in cold country.

ctrim

We've been out in pretty cold weather since Sunday afternoon. Now on Wednesday morning we've used most of 1 of our 2 tanks. So your usage could be normal. A lot depends on how warm you keep your thermostat setting and how much hot water and cooking you do. For us, we have pets so we run the furnace 24 hours a day, but we run our hot water heater primarily on electric while in the RV park.
I need to figure out how to turn the water heater to electric... have not figured that out yet.

ctrim

I would call it normal for using the furnace in constantly cold temps....it is the largest consumer of propane compared to water heaters, stove, oven, and refrigerators when in cold country.
Thank you! It sounds like this is about normal usage, just seemed like a lot :)

chaplady

Sounds normal put insulation up over windows that will help like the summer sun screen for cars help block cold. Also i brought adapter and hose to use a 100 lbs cylinder and a portable infered heater. Still need furnace to run so water lines dont freeze up but helps take chill off couch area of trailer

ctrim

Sounds normal put insulation up over windows that will help like the summer sun screen for cars help block cold. Also i brought adapter and hose to use a 100 lbs cylinder and a portable infered heater. Still need furnace to run so water lines dont freeze up but helps take chill off couch area of trailer
That is a great idea, thank you so much!

centerline

thats pretty normal usage in cold temps........... rv's arent insulated as well as houses are, so the heat loss can be almost as fast as you pump it in.....

one thing that helps a lot if you have shore power, is to use space heaters.... one at the rear and one forward, with the furnace running at times to circulate the air will save you a lot of propane....

daily use of the water heater, fridge and stove, combined, doesnt use as much propane as the furnace does in an hour of run time..... the furnace is a hungry beast.

Routemaster

We do need to find a way to harness the heat out of the exhaust that is hotter than what comes out of the registrars!! We use about 9 gals a week at the moment.

centerline

We do need to find a way to harness the heat out of the exhaust that is hotter than what comes out of the registrars!! We use about 9 gals a week at the moment.
that is exactly how its done.... the gas is burnt inside the furnace unit, and the exhaust fumes exit the furnace unit..... during its way to the exit, it passes around the heat exchanger, which absorbs as much heat as it can before the exhaust gets pushed out the pipe..... then, this "scavenged" heat gets pumped into the living space....

a more efficient furnace can scavenge more heat quicker from the same amount of fuel that gets consumed, and usually there are ways to make the system thats currently installed more efficient..... just by stopping up any leaks in the ducting, in the rv unit itself, and possibly re-routing the duct tubes to create the shortest and least restrictive airflow.... and there very definitley ARE leaks and inefficiencies going on in every rv heating/cooling system, with some being much worse than others....

I need to figure out how to turn the water heater to electric... have not figured that out yet.
If you have the lippert One Control digital control monitor , you turn off the gas water heater with 1 toggle on the DEVICES screen
and turn on elec water heat on/off toggle on the HOME screen.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk