Using Inverter to Maximize 30amp Hookups

jimandjean

As I was reading up on Xantrex 1000 in my 4200 a notion occurred to me to check. I wanted to see if the refrigerator breaker was wired in before or after the inverter.

For my coach it's before. This means that when I have limited shore amps (20 or 30) and want to avoid the residential fridge startup cycle from overloading the shore power breaker on the post, i can run the fridge with the breaker off. Any surge is absorbed by the batteries and the charger will catch things up more evenly.

Just tested this, and it works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

The Residential Refrigerator Guide has a block diagram of the wiring that makes it all pretty clear.

Yes, if you flip the 120V breaker OFF, and the Inverter is ON, the transfer switch will cut over to the inverter output running from the batteries. Same as if you had disconnected the shore power cord.

Oregon_Camper

I guess that would work, but you're requiring your coach to do a lot more stuff, for the same result.

You are having AC power to go Converter....converter then sends DC power to batteries....batteries then send DC power to Inverter....Inverter converts back to AC...then AC sent to refrigerator.

Or...you just have AC come to circuit breaker and straight to refrigerator.

Are you having problems with your refrigerator causing the circuit to pop at the campground box? Do you have an EMS installed? If not, you should consider adding one.

jimandjean

I guess that would work, but you're requiring your coach to do a lot more stuff, for the same result.

You are having AC power to go Converter....converter then sends DC power to batteries....batteries then send DC power to Inverter....Inverter converts back to AC...then AC sent to refrigerator.

Or...you just have AC come to circuit breaker and straight to refrigerator.

Are you having problems with your refrigerator causing the circuit to pop at the campground box? Do you have an EMS installed? If not, you should consider adding one.

No generally I'm fine. But we're heading to a state park in a few months with only 30 amp capacity. That often stretches us pretty thin.

danemayer

No generally I'm fine. But we're heading to a state park in a few months with only 30 amp capacity. That often stretches us pretty thin.

I think the point is that because of the inefficiencies of the power converter and the inverter, you'll end up using more power rather than less. While the refrigerator won't appear to be using any 120V AC power, it actually will get it through the Power Converter.

No free lunch.

porthole

Retired

As long as the xantrex is up to the task, your concept is valid and would probably minimize any brownouts from affecting the fridge (coach induced brownouts).

Which State park are you going to?

jimandjean

As long as the xantrex is up to the task, your concept is valid and would probably minimize any brownouts from affecting the fridge (coach induced brownouts).

Which State park are you going to?

Dreher - SC. Out on the lake.