Using LT Tires to Replace ST

GOTTOYS

I don't know that anyone makes an LT tire in a 235/80/16 size. I replaced that size ST tire on mine with an LT235/85/16E. The difference in size amounts to a gain of less than one inch in overall diameter and less than one half inch in radius. They fit nicely on my BC with no clearance problems....Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm currently running Transforce HT's on my truck. Love em so far. The price you mentioned is within a couple bucks of what I paid last year. Some folks look down on Firestone because of the fiasco a few years back. I wasn't too concerned about recently made tires though.

TireHobby

I don't know that anyone makes an LT tire in a 235/80/16 size. I replaced that size ST tire on mine with an LT235/85/16E. The difference in size amounts to a gain of less than one inch in overall diameter and less than one half inch in radius. They fit nicely on my BC with no clearance problems....Don

And they have as much as 478# less load carrying capacity EACH.

TireHobby

Duramax1

If you will go to the Maxxis home page and do some research on their Light Truck tires you will find the LT235/85R16E in their HT-750 Bravo series. However their best 16" truck tire for trailer service might be the UE-168 Commercial tire in size 225/75R16 LRE rated at 3195# at 80 psi.

TireHobby

Please note that the Sundance 2900MK is equipped with 235/80R16 tires.

You are referring to some other tire than that which comes on the Sundance

TireHobby

Please note that the Sundance 2900MK is equipped with 235/80R16 tires.

You are referring to some other tire than that which comes on the Sundance

The answer was for post #18. Maxxis does in fact produce LT235/85R16 tires.

The 235/80R16 tires - as you refer to them - are only made with the ST design. As such they carry a much higher load capacity than any other tire design near their actual size.

TireHobby

noobee

I took my ST tires off just after I bought my trailer and replaced them with LTs. Sold the old ones to some farmer for his manure spreader. It won't be long now before the self styled tire expert that goes by the name "Tire Hobby" on this forum, and several other names on other forums, will be in here to post some pointless "facts" to try and refute this decision. I did a ton of research on the subject and in my opinion I couldn't find a reason not to swap them out. They're working out just fine. JMHO...Don

You expressed your opinion BUT why did you have to shoot-down others before they expressed their's... kind of CLASS-LESS!

CC

SilverRhino

A couple of years back I posted an article that I had found on comparing ST & LT tires.....It helped me understand the difference. See Trailer Tires Explained if you are interested.

caissiel

I also read somewhere in my research that the ST tires have some chemical in the rubber to make them more sun resistant. The down side of the sun retardent makes the rubber on ST tires weaker.
We have to replace tires when cracks show up, so I would rather have a good tire than one that will bust after 2 years and never last long enough to see the sun for 5 years.

lwmcguir

The answer was for post #18. Maxxis does in fact produce LT235/85R16 tires.

The 235/80R16 tires - as you refer to them - are only made with the ST design. As such they carry a much higher load capacity than any other tire design near their actual size.

TireHobby

We have Chinese made 235/80/16E ST on several new trailers such as round bale haulers. They came from the factory with them and we load them to around 4000 pounds per tire. Havent blown one yet but keep the speed down to 55 or so. the oldest are now 5 years old so we have seen very good service. However when they go we will go back with all all steel Goodyears.

Duramax1

I also have a Sundance 2900MK as does FloridaRandy, and plan to replace, after 2 1/2 years of travelling approximately 17,000 miles, the ST235/80/16 Mission tires.

I have been reading these posts with a great deal of interest but I remain concerned about going to an LT tire if it is a different size from that which is presently on the trailer.

I would feel more confident in making a switch if other owners of a Sundance 2900MK reported that the switch in size worked successfully for them. But none of those reporting a successful switch own a Sundance and I am leary of relying upon the experience of others who have a Big Horn or Big Country trailer.

If I was convinced that the Michelin tire would work, I would purchase it. But in the abscence of reports from Sundance owners, I will go with the Maxxis ST tire.

FloridaRandy.... I will follow your decision with interest as I think that you and I have the same interest and concerns about switching sizes in going to an LT tire.

lwmcguir

We use all steel tires for any applications including the camper that we think are severe or where we just don't want to have a blown tire on the road. This is a more expensive choice at first but has paid off in the long run. Most of them are Goodyear but the others have performed well also. We run the name plate air pressure in everyone of them as well. If you are wanted to get the best then pick an all steel in your favorite brand.

Netem

Heres the problem that Big Horn and Big Country owners don't get on the Sundance. The Sundance comes standard with 15 inch wheels and when you up grade to 16's the tires are very close together so the 235 85 16's that have some of the best tires would be too close together in my opinion. That leaves us with the 235 80 16 or as Randy is looking at 245 75 16. When I went through this I felt the 245 75s had too wide of tread to clear the plastic fenders on my trailer. Take a look at the tread on a truck with 245s then look at the narrow tread on the trailer tires. I went with the Maxxis 235 80 16s on my Sundance. In the end everyone has to make their own decision and this was mine.

lwmcguir

This has been a bit interesting to say the least. Having purchased and ran thousands of tires we have always found that you want to purchase the best tire you can for the application at hand. I think all the research and comments on this forum pretty well sums it up. Put on the largest capacity tire you can safely fit on your application and head down the road. While on the road keep it inflated to the name plate pressure and monitor the tires as well. A lot of great information and anyone that read it all should know quite a bit more about tire ratings.

TireHobby

Heres the problem that Big Horn and Big Country owners don't get on the Sundance. The Sundance comes standard with 15 inch wheels and when you up grade to 16's the tires are very close together so the 235 85 16's that have some of the best tires would be too close together in my opinion. That leaves us with the 235 80 16 or as Randy is looking at 245 75 16. When I went through this I felt the 245 75s had too wide of tread to clear the plastic fenders on my trailer. Take a look at the tread on a truck with 245s then look at the narrow tread on the trailer tires. I went with the Maxxis 235 80 16s on my Sundance. In the end everyone has to make their own decision and this was mine.

The archive area of the Heartland home page is not working so I could not check the specs on your 2008 model. The new models specs are all being depicted with 16” tires.

I know this is water over the dam in your case but may be beneficial information for others in your situation. Many RV trailer owners with 15” wheels find it very difficult to find 16” wheel/tires to upgrade to that will fit into their trailers wheelwells. Because the Maxxis tires are almost always referred to as trailer tires (ST) other tires in their line-up are overlooked. In the reference provided below you will find a 16” commercial grade tire with a load capacity of 3190# and a 29.3” diameter.

http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/Light-Truck-SUV/UE-168N-Bravo-Series.aspx

TireHobby