Using the RV Generator to power your home

danemayer

I set up something similar to what Jim outlined. But because the RV wasn't parked close enough to the house, instead of using the RV generator, I purchased a Firmin 10,000 watt dual fuel generator that uses either gas or propane. It's portable so when needed it can be rolled out of the garage onto the back patio. There it's connected to a propane outlet (served by our 500 gallon tank), and connected to an RV SmartPlug. Our utility power and the connection from the SmartPlug come together in a manual transfer switch the output of which feeds the main breaker panel for the house.

To use it during an extended power outage, I turn off all the breakers in the main panel. Then flip the manual transfer switch to the generator side. Then plug in the generator and start it. Then back to the breaker panel where individual breakers are turned on.

This arrangement provides power to the propane boiler control system, that in turn heats the house and the indirect water heater. Of course it also powers lights and outlets. There's enough power to use at least one burner on the range (probably more).

The generator output of 10,000 watts drops to about 8,000 on propane, and perhaps down to about 6,500 watts due to altitude of 7400 ASL.

Although a rare occasion, our town has in the past had outages that lasted 5 days due to extreme snowfall. The last occasion was about 15 years ago when 5 feet of snow fell in 1 day. At that point, you're stuck. No way to get out. No power. No heat. No hot water. Have to drain the water system to avoid freeze damage. In the 4 years since setting up this solution, we haven't had to use it except for annual tests. But we're prepared. Some might say over prepared.

I also thought about using the RV as a backup home in an emergency. But getting a propane outlet to the RV would be challenging and water would have been a problem.

porthole

Retired
In the 4 years since setting up this solution, we haven't had to use it except for annual tests. B

Sounds like it worked quite well.
When I bought my first snow blower after a terrible winter it sat unused for 4 years, I thought it was a great return on my investment.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It’s only a “waste” until you need it the first time. I like having backup systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk