Utah 5

rickandjoyce

Hello, We are planning a trip to the Utah 5. The thought is to start in Moab and work our way to Zion. I would love any info on the route to take from Moab and campground info. Is it way too busy in June? I'm told there is one road in Zion we can not take our rig on. I understand Zion has a shuttle to take through the park. Also, how much time do we need to do everything justice but not spend a month? Any help at all would be greatly appeciated.
Thanks,
Rick and Joyce

MTPockets

We have done that exact trip a couple different times. If you want the absolute best scenery anywhere, and a drive you'll never forget;
From Moab go South on 191 through Blanding, then West on 95. That drive is Awsome... At Hanksville take 24 which will take you through Capitol Reef Nat'l Park. At Torrey, take route 12, voted a few years ago as one of the most scenic roads in the world! Route 12 goes right by the entrance to Bryce Canyon. Where 12 ends at 89 you can head South to Zion. A trip you'll never regret. We pulled our Big Horn twice on this route,no problem. I will say, we do know there are some a bit quesy about route 12 with several inclines and tight turns, but I would not hesitate to do it over and over...
PS, we enjoyed the trip mentioned much more than Zion or Bryce.... don't miss them if you've never been there, but for us, the highlight is the route to get there.

mlpeloquin

You have got to spend at least a day in each park. Even more if you like to hike. Zion does have an open air buss that travels the length of the canon. Many of the younger crowd walked it and if it is hot bring plenty water. The road into Zion goes through a tunnel and it must be done in the center of the road by the tourist buses. So do not try to bring your fifth wheel into Zion. Do make reservations now. We had to stay at a not so good park and drive because we did not. We did this trip in mid May to mid June just after going to Yellowstone.

dlw930

You have got to spend at least a day in each park. Even more if you like to hike. Zion does have an open air buss that travels the length of the canon. Many of the younger crowd walked it and if it is hot bring plenty water. The road into Zion goes through a tunnel and it must be done in the center of the road by the tourist buses. So do not try to bring your fifth wheel into Zion. Do make reservations now. We had to stay at a not so good park and drive because we did not. We did this trip in mid May to mid June just after going to Yellowstone.

When we went to Zion last fall, we entered the park from the south/west without our rig. We were told by a ranger at the park gate that we would have to pay a fee in order to use the tunnel in our DRW pickup (over width) so we parked at the Visitor Center and took the park's tour bus through the park. FYI, there's an RV parking lot at the Zion Canyon visitor center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadJunkie

Zion National Park tunnel information. There is a NPS campground at the South entrance, essentially in the town of Springdale. Another campground option is the Zion River Resort, a very nice place located a few miles from Springdale/Zion.

kdubinwa

We have done that exact trip a couple different times. If you want the absolute best scenery anywhere, and a drive you'll never forget;
From Moab go South on 191 through Blanding, then West on 95. That drive is Awsome... At Hanksville take 24 which will take you through Capitol Reef Nat'l Park. At Torrey, take route 12, voted a few years ago as one of the most scenic roads in the world! Route 12 goes right by the entrance to Bryce Canyon. Where 12 ends at 89 you can head South to Zion. A trip you'll never regret. We pulled our Big Horn twice on this route,no problem. I will say, we do know there are some a bit quesy about route 12 with several inclines and tight turns, but I would not hesitate to do it over and over...
PS, we enjoyed the trip mentioned much more than Zion or Bryce.... don't miss them if you've never been there, but for us, the highlight is the route to get there.

Thanks for the suggestion on this drive. We will be driving our Bighorn from Moab to Bryce in two weeks and will follow your trail. Looks to be about 7 hours total. I already noticed that diesel fuel locations are few, but sufficient. Looking forward to it.

winterton

There is a RV park/resort on the east side of Zion called Ponderosa. The site are not that great but the staff will take you to a back entrance to the park where after a short walk, you are on the top of the canyon. The buses and people look like little ants down below but hiking along the rim was breathtaking.