Utah & Northern Arizona in May/June

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
My wife and I are planning to take in the Grand Canyon area the mid May to early June time frame. Are we driving into an oven? I checked the average temps in the areas and they get to the 90's in June. We had hoped to get away in April but alas, we couldn't do so. Any campgrounds the you suggest? Thanks, Doug.

fishn2dmax

You'll be fine. Yes, it does begin to warm up between April and June in that area. We stay in St. George, Utah on a regular basis and the temps in May will range from 70-90 during the day. I highly recommend you take the time to visit Zions N.P. in addition to the Grand Canyon and the many other National and State parks in the area ( God's Country). There are many campgrounds in the area for the snowbirds, so finding one with a vacany should'nt be a problem as the Snow Bird Canadians are usually heading North this time of year. Another place we like to stay while in St. George is at the Snow Canyon ( Utah State park reservation suggested) located just North of St. George, Utah.

jpmorgan37

Don't overlook the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We have been to both and really loved the North Rim. It is beautiful and not nearly as commercial as the South Rim.

John

osageman

My wife and I are planning to take in the Grand Canyon area the mid May to early June time frame. Are we driving into an oven? I checked the average temps in the areas and they get to the 90's in June. We had hoped to get away in April but alas, we couldn't do so. Any campgrounds the you suggest? Thanks, Doug.
Doug and Lynne,
Grand canyon huh!!! North or South rim? If you go in from the north, there is Jacob's Lake at the junction of 89 and 67. Hwy 67 is the only road in or out of the north rim. It takes you across the Kaibab plateau. WOW what a sight. As far as the weather is concerned, you should be fine. The canyon sits at about 5000+ feet and the weather should still be bearable in the day and very cool at night. I stayed last July at Jacobs Lake, but did not have my 5er with me. I stayed at the lodge since I was on a solo motorcycle trip. Don't know anything about the RV park. Kanab, UT. is not too far away, but don't have any recommendations about RV places. It gets real hot in Kanab , since you drop down in altitude. All I can say is ENJOY!!!!!!!! Later. Osageman (Wild Bill).

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Canyon Village

Doug & Lynne.....

Sharol and I had planned to stay in Canyon Village at Trailer Village Campground. We weren't able to make the trip last fall unfortunately, but may do it later this year. Here is the URL:

http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/Trailer-Village-705.html

It looked good to us and the rates were decent with services near by including I believe free bus service which saves fuel and getting around. Like JP said, also you might look at also staying near the north rim.

Enjoy the trip....

Delaine and Lindy

The weather in that area should be fine during that time frame. Just stay out of Phoenix during June thru Aug. We have been in that area of Utah and AZ several times. If you have time go to Bryce Canyon area in Utah. We were in all those States spent about 6 months and lived in Az for 6 years. Don't care for Phoenix just to hot except in Dec. thru May. GBY...

Uncle Rog

JP is right about the north rim, we used to go up there and look for indian artifacts years ago.........

timk

Doug, you are driving into an oven. Just plan to stay somewhere over 5000-6000 ft. elevation, and its just fine. There is a nice little rustic rv park near Jacob Lake AZ, thats almost 8000 ft. It makes a great base camp for the North Rim.

Get a map and take a look at some of the forest service roads that take you out to your own personal Grand Canyon. You can spend a day with your feet dangling over the edge and sometimes never see a human.

If Utah and the canyon are on your list, just forget about the South Rim. The North side IMHO is way better. There are over 4 million tourists that visit the canyon in a year, and they will all be there the day you visit.

Happy trip

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Thanks for all the replies, we had planned to see most of the Nat. Parks on the way down and home. We also plan to go about as far south as Sedona then work our way back north..../Doug

toybabies

We live in Northern Arizona and it isn't that hot up here. Be sure to reserve a space if you are staying at the Grand Canyon. They fill up fast. You could also stay in the Williams or Flagstaff area which aren't too far from the Grand Canyon. The North Rim is a definite place to visit. Have fun and enjoy!!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Flagstaff is going to be my new homebase, sooner or later. Man, I do love it up there...good people.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Doug, you have to go to the north rim. We were there 2 years ago in August and got snowed on, 39 degrees there and 110 in St George. Bob:D

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
We're currently in the Grand Canyon Railway RV park. The train loading is just 300 yds from our spot. Take the train and enjoy the ride to the canyon and when you get back, try the Pine Country Restaurant. Williams Az. has done a great job of keeping the town jumping along Rt. 66. We dorve to Flagstaff this morning and spent a day there. Tomorrow, we'll head to Sedona for the day. It's 56 during the day, windy, and down to 25 tonight.
I, sadly, can not recommend Rod's Steaks. Pricey, and not great.