UV Treatment For Roof

BigGuy82

My coach is due for it's annual roof inspection but this year there's a problem - I've got an arthritic hip that needs replacement and I don't want to climb up on the roof only to find that I don't have the flexibility to bend over and climb down the ladder. So, I'm taking it to the dealer (I know ... makes me sick too). Anyway, they will of course caulk where needed and clean the roof. They also suggested a UV coating for the roof.

Anyone have any experience with this? Sounds like a great idea - UV blocked so it doesn't prematurely destroy the roof. On the other hand, I don't want to waste money on unproven technology.:confused:

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Most of the rubber roof cleaners on the market that I've seen have a UV protectant incorporated into them. Whether they are as good as what the dealership is using, would be any bodies guess.

Maybe ask what the product is that they plan on using. If they hesitate to give out that info. then maybe reconsider.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rxbristol

Every UV coating that I know of only lasts a few months IF applied correctly. If you can't do it regularly, I woundn't spend the extra money.

Lynn1130

As I recall the accepted and recommended treatment of a rubber roof as suggested by your owner's manual is to wash occasionally with dawn and water. UV treatments along with protective coatings that they try to sell you for the finish are money makers for them and questionable as to what protection they really give.

esscobra

on my previous 2011 unit- I used the dicor wash and then the protectant/treatment 1 time every year and 2x year - spent nearly its whole life outside in texas sun, front cap and decal faded- but when looking for new 5'er- 2 dealerships both were surprised at the roofs condition and one was sure I replaced roof and the other was saying I kept I indoors- I will be using the same on my new bighorn here shortly.