Vehicles hauling Road Warriors

pin weight for the 405rw?

I have a 3500 single dodge 2007.5 megacab, with D rated tires up to 3150lbs each. What's the pin weight of the 405rw? I can't see it on the website. Are we sure the tires and stock rims can handle the weight of the hitch and pin, fully loaded with gear? Please advise.

2010augusta

As far as pin weight go you have to calculate them based on the loaded trailer weight. The published pin weight are for an empty dry trailer, so unless you are not going to haul toys in the toy hauler don't pay much attention to the listed pin weights. Usually the pin weight will be between 15%-25% of the total weight. So if it is loaded to the limit of 18,000# then the pin weight will be between 2,700# and 4,500#. In my experience it will be closer to the 4,500# number. Our Landmark has an actual pin weight of 3,380# and a total weight of 16,500# and that works out to 20%. You'll probably need a dually for the 405RW.

Jellystone

Tow Vehicles

I agree with you 2010 Augusta, a dually would be necessary. The way I look at it, with all of your heavy 5th wheel towing a dually is needed. I know there are plenty of SRW trucks that can tow heavy loads but you do not get the stable towing platform that a dually provides. The more wheels you have in the rear of the tow vehicle the better-that is where all of your hitch weight is. I know financial constraints, daily driveability, etc. come in to play with SRW vs DRW but when at all possible get a dually for heavy 5th wheel applications. Dodge, GM, and Ford all offer great products in dually tow vehicles.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I have a 3500 single dodge 2007.5 megacab, with D rated tires up to 3150lbs each. What's the pin weight of the 405rw? I can't see it on the website. Are we sure the tires and stock rims can handle the weight of the hitch and pin, fully loaded with gear? Please advise.

I have the same truck as you (those are E rated tires) and I can assure you that you would be WAY over your GVWR pulling that 405rw. I pull I 3385 Bighorn with a loaded pin weight of about 2600 lbs. With hitch and gear and passengers, I'm a bit over weight already. Another 1000+ lbs of pin weight? Forget it. If you want to check this for yourself, go to a local masonry or steel supplier or local building supply store and put 2 tons of brick or steel plate or bags of cement in the bed of your truck and see how it looks.

I heard airbags would be sufficient to create stability. Why don't the dealers caution buyers on this? Shouldn't they be liable if my TV can't pull it safely? I bet they just sit back and laugh in the sales shack sipping stale folgers, while we roll off the lot unable to steer or brake.

lwmcguir

Keep in mind the trailer should stop itself. If it don't then you have a brake/controller issue, not a TV size issue.

Duals are needed due to the tire/wheel weight limits. You might notice a lot of Semi Tractors now are running singles. They have heavy wheels / tires. You can get the 19.5 wheels / tires but that don't increase the size of your brakes or wheel bearings.

that's some great advice. that makes it more clear. this has been a very confusing process for my wife and i coming off a travel trailer. i already have a prodigy brake controller. So, my 3500 with airbags, stronger rims and E rated tires ought to do the trick, eh?

lwmcguir

Certainly will. The real benefit of the air bags is to level out the TV so the headlights don't blind on-coming traffic and it don't have the grill pointing at the sky. That is why the F350 has the extra spring but same frame. Don't know about the 3500 but probably is similar. If you check the sticker you can see what the legal weights are and you should be fine. The difference between F250 and F550 towing capacity is minimal. The real benefits of the larger units are the gear ratios, brake size, and duals capable of G rated tires. We have F250-F350-F550 so been there done that. Have no problem towing a 16000# August with the 6.0 F250. The extra weight of the Diesel trucks give them more legal sticker towing capacity. Many folks add the G rated wheels and tires to the F250-F350 which isnt a bad idea if you tow in hot weather.

caissiel

Total GVW weight of the trailer and truck must be observed too feel safe. I towed a 11,000 Lbs trailer with a 98 6.5L GM and always felt safe because the 454 GM could haul 12000Lbs. I was safe as far a braking and frame but I had to watch the Heat it climbed very easily. The Cooling system on the Diesel was not good enough for heavy loads. The truck served me well for 9 years and over 150K. Best truck I ever owned. The 2005+ Ford HD's are all rated to the same GVW so the load on the rear wheels become a factor in going single or dual, I find singles have the same disc diamiter, and braking seam to be the same factor. 17" std wheels are the factor here, GM only later did they get bigger wheels. I do hate disc brakes for towing purposes, GM was right to go back to rear Drums, because my 98 served me well. I am changing my pads on the rear every year worn or not worn.

mrendahl

Ok..you guys have me a bit concerned now. I just purchased a 2010 Dodge 3500 4x4 6.7 ltre diesel w/ 3.73 and "E" rated tires (stock) and I am looking to purchase a 2011 RW405..... I was told I'd be fine. Are you guys suggesting I won't be?

D

dlpmx

Ok..you guys have me a bit concerned now. I just purchased a 2010 Dodge 3500 4x4 6.7 ltre diesel w/ 3.73 and "E" rated tires (stock) and I am looking to purchase a 2011 RW405..... I was told I'd be fine. Are you guys suggesting I won't be?

My F350 w/6.0 diesel does fine.I've even forgot it was back there and scared myself when I looked in the mirror.I only tow 55-60 but could do more easily.
You'll be fine with the Dodge 1 ton.

Dale

BruteForce

I'm towing a 395RW with my Ram 3500 Dually. Bone stock.

Took delivery of my trailer yesterday. The P3 brake controller helps wonderfully!

A few pics:

Here are a few pics of the new rig:

22177_1351130381982_1343055396_980947_1034878_n.jpg

22177_1351130701990_1343055396_980952_6660923_n.jpg

22177_1351130501985_1343055396_980949_29098_n.jpg

Jellystone

MRENDAHL, is your 3500 dual rear wheel or single? Also, what axle ratio do you have (ex.-3.73,4.10,etc.)

Jellystone

Mrendahl, in my opinion (and the opinion of the manufacturer of your truck) you will be overloaded pulling a RW 405 w/a SRW 3500 & 3.73 axle ratio. You may want to look at a less weighty unit.

Here's what the dodge manufacturer's website says:

Towing & Payload
Whether you're heading to the water with your boat or loading the cargo box with firewood, Dodge Ram's impressive towing and payload capabilities are up to the task.

Ram 3500 specs:
Towing capacity: 17,000 pounds[1]
Payload capacity: 5,130 pounds[1]
Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR): 24,000 pounds[1]
Need towing specifications? Download the Dodge Body Builder's Guide (51.3 KB, PDF).

http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/ram_2500_3500/capability/towing_payload/

They even show a huge 5er on their website under the 3500 link. Which numbers do we match up the TV with the 5er so we can clear our minds? The 405rw has a 18000 GVWR. Is that different than the GCWR above?

jnbhobe

meritage98; You have to match up your exact truck to the body builders guide. If you have a 3500 mega cab 4x4 srw and 3.73 gears you have a 21,100 gcwr. 18,000gvwr is the total the trailer can weigh :(:( 21,100 lbs is the max weight of the truck and trailer combined. JON

ummm, so I don't ever plan to have this thing chalked full of weighty items until I own a Peterbuilt to pull it with. So if it was empty, I could pull it no problem? Someone just lay it out for me in terms I can understand. The dodge's engine can pull it, the gear ratio should handle it, the exhaust brake should stop it with a p3 as well. heartland patents their 88 deg turning radius. So with a mega cab, I should only need a std 20k hitch, and my 3500 SRW dodge (with maybe some $200 airbags) should get me rolling...safely.....no?