Vehicles hauling Road Warriors

Riverman

I have the same tow unit and I plan on having 1200 lbs of ATV in the back.
I have the mega cab, the air bags, the P3 and a 21,000 lb hitch.
Other than the extra set of tires on the back...we should be identical.
Load it up and go have some fun!

truknutt

Committed Member
The items I would be concerned with are your truck's rear axle GAW (toyhaulers are extremely pin-heavy; close to 3,000 lbs) and the weight rating of your truck's tires.

Dave G.

Jellystone

mrendahl, according to the 2010 towing guide that lists all the max safe towing limits, your truck is rated at 13,450 lbs max. Now, every pound of weight you put in the trailer and truck counts against this number. Don't forget the gcwr (truck & trailer combined), this # should be found on your drivers side door label. These #'s are not ballpark, they are max amounts provided by the manufacturer for each specific truck setup. The axle ratio difference between 3.73 and 4.10 on your model is 3,000 lbs (16,450 lbs for 4.10). Also the srw setup limits your ability on weight placed directly on the rear axle (5th wheel pin weight). Just some #'s to help explain.

Jellystone

meritage98, the pin weight is right at 3,000 lbs for the RW 405. The gross trailer weight is 18,000 lbs & the dry weight of the trailer is 13,000 lbs. (totally empty of camping gear and dealer add ons or stuff that sneaks onboard after weighing at the factory like a/c,awning,etc).

psych54

Hello,

I am new to the forum and considering the purchase of a toy hauler. Looks great for just wife and I, or with two young grandsons along as well. I am interested in the F-450 as a tow rig. How is the "real world" fuel mileage? I take it most are using 1 ton rigs to tow rather than 1 1/2 ton like yours. In your opinion is a 1 ton dually "big enough"? Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

psych54

2000 Allegro class A 25'
1992 Harley-Davidson FXR
red unicycle

jimtoo

Hi psych54,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Please check out the Heartland Owners Club and join us at some of the rallies where you will meet other owners and have a great time after you get your Road Warrior.

I'm sure you will get some answers from other members soon. This is a pretty old thread but it will come back to life now. I think most of the folks do use a 1 ton dually.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Bigjimt03

For anyone that is interested, I recently took a vacation to Florida in my new Rig. I made it a great effort to take careful measurements of everything before going on vacation. I have a ton of data but below is just some of the things I can share.

2014 Heartland Road Warrior 415RW
Completely Stock 2012 F-350 Dually Crew Cab King Ranch Edition - 4x4 - 6 speed tranny - 6.7 liter Diesel - 3.73 rear end.
(according to towing guide GCWR is 30,000 and payload is 21,500)

Weighed Camper and Tow vehicle on a truck scale before leaving on summer vacation - 27,000 lbs combined - Camper 15,000 lbs - Truck 12,000 lbs. This did not include 4 passengers.

Traveled 1,800 miles to Disney in Flordia and back. Set cruse at 65 MPH on Interstate (in tow mode the whole time). TPMS on RV and Truck never showed tire temperature above 110 deg F and tire pressure never above 95 psi.

Truck tire presssure - Front 75psi - Rear 60psi cold
RV tire presseure - 80psi cold

Actual Diesel MPG pulling was 8.86 MPG Best Fillup - 8.15 MPG worst Fillup and the average for the trip was 8.5 MPG.

I never had any problems acceleration to highway speeds of 65 MPG on the Interstate approach ramps.

Stopping the rig was not an issue but my stock Ford Brake control was set on MAX (10).

Hope this helps others

scottyb

For anyone that is interested, I recently took a vacation to Florida in my new Rig. I made it a great effort to take careful measurements of everything before going on vacation. I have a ton of data but below is just some of the things I can share.

2014 Heartland Road Warrior 415RW
Completely Stock 2012 F-350 Dually Crew Cab King Ranch Edition - 4x4 - 6 speed tranny - 6.7 liter Diesel - 3.73 rear end.
(according to towing guide GCWR is 30,000 and payload is 21,500)

Weighed Camper and Tow vehicle on a truck scale before leaving on summer vacation - 27,000 lbs combined - Camper 15,000 lbs - Truck 12,000 lbs. This did not include 4 passengers.

Traveled 1,800 miles to Disney in Flordia and back. Set cruse at 65 MPH on Interstate (in tow mode the whole time). TPMS on RV and Truck never showed tire temperature above 110 deg F and tire pressure never above 95 psi.

Truck tire presssure - Front 75psi - Rear 60psi cold
RV tire presseure - 80psi cold

Actual Diesel MPG pulling was 8.86 MPG Best Fillup - 8.15 MPG worst Fillup and the average for the trip was 8.5 MPG.

I never had any problems acceleration to highway speeds of 65 MPG on the Interstate approach ramps.

Stopping the rig was not an issue but my stock Ford Brake control was set on MAX (10).

Hope this helps others

Sounds like your mileage is about the same as mine. Our rigs are pretty equal in size. Although I have been comfortable running the brake control on about 6 or 6.5. I wish that the exhaust braking on our Fords performed a little better, like the Dodge or GM.