Ventured into the satellite world and so far a bit disappointed

beasleyrl

Duane -

We've used both Directv and Dish on our rig. Both have advantages/disadvantages. When we upgraded to dish, the primary driver was HD capability with my auto dish on the roof (Directv required a replacement for HD) and ability to not pay for service when we aren't using it. There are several packages but it sounds like you have the "basic" package. We have the Dish 120 which has a few more. You can also pay some one time fees to include additional HD channels for life. I believe it was about $100 to add that which is something we did. With 2 receivers, my total bill is about $60 per month when we need it. You can also pay a $40 one time fee and add an external hard drive to your receivers which makes them a DVR. The family loves that capability.

Be careful with signal strength. When you compare it, you have to compare like model receivers as Dish changed the way it is displayed several generations back. You also have to compare based upon the same satellite. When we're running off our small roof dish, 40-50 is about normal. I believe that is the 110/119/129 satellites. When I'm using my external dish (using 61.5/72), we can get 60+ if I work the alignment. Which dish to use? When we are doing a weekend trip, we usually operate off the roof. The downside to this is 1 receiver controls where the dish is pointed. I've wired mine so I can easily change it from the main room to the master BR at night with ease. If we are going someplace for a longer period, I usually setup a larger external dish (I actually bought east and west LNB's so if a tree blocks 1 direction, I can usually get a signal from the other). That way both receivers function independently.

One other thing to think about... When you're at locations for a longer period (or when I can say "switch it for a month"), you can call Dish and have them change the locals to your current "service address". That takes dealing with the over the air antenna out of the loop. I typically do this for a week trip then leave it for the rest of the month. The only downside is that when you go back home, you won't have your locals until you switch it back.

Yes, we have the same issue with setup in that the guide has to redownload every time we start up the rig. It takes a few minutes (okay 5-10), but it hasn't been a big deal for us.

porthole

Retired
What a pain in the butt, from the wrong programming package, to wiring (no cable to bedroom), to a receiver that won't lock on to poor customer service.

Turns out one problem is receiving the wrong package when I signed up as a new customer last Sunday, 4 days ago.
CS told me I could cancel my service and then restart the process to get the promos.
After having the cancellation department cancel the service I was switched over to the new service.

Can't get the promos now - I have to wait 60 days.

Back outside, packing everything up and returning it......................

I'll stick with my 1 or 2 pixelated, sound dropping channels.

Last edited:

Vtxkid

Duane, I noticed also that the bedroom had a fake face plate where it lead you to believe you had sateillite hookup... Disappointting but wasn't hard to add. If you feel down the line that you want to try againg with a satellite service, you can easily run the wire from the basement thru the propane tank compartment up into the bedroom by way of under the dresser. I can show you my setup at Goshen if you like... let me know!

porthole

Retired
Already ran that line Jerry. Since I planned on setting the receiver on the dresser I put a cable termination there. Also ran some 12 volt outlets, one next to the cable, one in the UDC for the now returned Winegard Carryout and in the basement.

We picked up two of the 12 volt portable Fantastic Fans while at Dover. Pricing was pretty good at the CW track side tent, most items were less then the sales flyer, plus I had a 10% coupon for Saturday and no sales tax.

Was a shame to return the discounted stuff.

I'll check your SAT setup as well as a few others I'm sure.

I'm with you on the HD stuff, For the most part I'd rather not watch TV without HD.

Problem with Direct is the Carryout antenna does not support HD. And not having an existing home account just adds to complexity.

I really despise the cable companies that we get locked into 10 year contracts with (city), we are too far from the connections to get FIOS and Verizon is not doing anymore copper upgrades, and there are too many big trees around the house to get SAT TV..................

There are at least 20 trees that have been removed already from our property (before this picture). You can barely see the Cyclone in the driveway.

house-trees.JPG

Last edited:

Vtxkid

Yeah, I see what you mean. It's unfortunate that you don't have the open window to gain the satellite signal at the house...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Trees dont look too bad. Think about having DTV come out. They can tell you if you have line of site to the birds.
Then get a good tripod and extra dish to enjoy HD at home and on the road.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
So I have done some more looking, and ended up with more un-answered questions.

Looking at DirecTV for the home, I can get their "Xtra" package, 205 channels, many HD's, probably more then I can get currently with cable.
Their latest and greatest "Genie" HD receiver and 3 additional "mini-genies" to run 4 TV's at home.

I would drop my cable TV and cable phone, not good for much anything other then telemarketers anyway.
Looks like I could save, with the guaranteed pricing of the SAT contract, $708, $408, $288 over the next 3 years for a total of $1400.
That would be enough to almost justify buying the roof top auto antenna for the RV.

The DirectV rep I spoke with online said he didn't think I could take the house receiver out on the road.

Anyone with Direct using the new Genie HDR receivers with the mini genie remotes?

Taking it from house to RV?

Using a portable antenna with no problem?

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Duane, if you camp out in the open the majority of the time, a roof top mount (or even a ladder mount) is probably the way to go. For us, in a heavily treed CG and surrounds, the automatic portable (GM1518) works fine. I have a spot that can link to Sat 119 through the canopy and that's where I put it. When we go home for a while, I pack it back in the basement.

My disappointment with satelite in general is even though they advertise a a plethora of channels, a lot of them are junk. Getting local networks requires access to a different satelite (#62 is obscured in our CG site) or subscribing to Distant Network Service for the major networks from NY or SF. DISH used to offer it along with their monthly plan for $5.00, but it's now run by All American Direct who requires a 6 month contract for $15 a month.

At least there are some movies and we can get the Tiger ball games at the CG.

danemayer

Taking it from house to RV?

Using a portable antenna with no problem?

Duane,

I'm using a Slimline 3 High Def Directv Dish with SWM LNB, but I don't have the newer Genie receivers. It's set up on a good tripod and I aim it with a good meter. It takes me about 10 minutes to get the dish set up (I separate the dish from the mast to take up less storage space). Most of the time, I'll get the satellite locked in within another 5-10 minutes, but occasionally it takes longer.

I know that a lot of people take their home receivers on the road. I used to do that but one day when I was asking for a change of service address so I could get local channels from Denver, they figured out that I was in an RV. At that point they told me that new FCC rules prohibit doing that. I never could get to the bottom of the regulatory issue, but the net was that I could keep using the home receivers but wouldn't get any network programming from ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, or CW once I left central Texas.

I ended up letting them create a 2nd account. They gave me 2 additional receivers at no cost for a 2 year commitment to $12/month. Then they merged the new account with the home account. Now I have all my programming show up on all 5 receivers. I'm signed up for Distant Network Services ($15/month in months when activated) so when on the road outside of central Texas, I get New York network stations. When we go to our site in Colorado, I change the service address and get Denver local stations.

They're a mess getting all this right and I'm sure Dish is about the same, if not worse from some of what I've heard. No one seems to understand RV'ing and the FCC website has bizarre rules for RVs - like requiring that dishes be permanently attached to the RV (and they even highlight that wording).

Keep on pressing - you'll get something that works for you.

I haven't turned on the whole house feature that lets the bedroom receiver watch programming from the DVR in the living room, but it's available if I want it.

porthole

Retired
My disappointment with satelite in general is even though they advertise a a plethora of channels, a lot of them are junk. .

Half the channels that were on the dish package I got were either infomercials or home shopping networks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Half the channels that were on the dish package I got were either infomercials or home shopping networks.

'Zactly, or televangelists with their heads up their arses and their hands out for cash. And there's a whole batch of music channels, to boot.

Theresau

danemayer

Dan - this?
http://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-SLIMLINE-OUTPUT-TRIPOD-TAILGATING/dp/B00CVCNAC0

As to a second account, that doesn't require a second programming package?

The rep I talked to didn't know any of the mobile answers.

The dish you linked to uses the older multiswitch technology. (Connect up to 4 receivers BUILT IN MULTISWITCH). That will also work, if you have compatible receivers. But the newer stuff is all Single Wire Module (SWM). Here's a link to one without tripod.

It uses an LNB that requires a power inserter and if feeding more than one receiver, you need a switch that passes power.

The 2nd account would require a 2nd programming package, but merging the 2 accounts into one, fixes that.

Wolfpackers

As a TV junkie and hard core user of DVR, I needed a better solution than using cable at home and campground cable/OTA while on the road, sometimes for a few months at a time. I wanted to switch to satellite so I could have the same service at home and on the road. Direct TV came out and said there was no way to get HD signals due to trees. Dish came out next and said it would be marginal until I took the up to the property line and said "how about here?" With some light tree trimming, Dish was able to install their HD dish and Hopper DVR setup in the house. I purchased an identical Dish, tripod, and the "node" that is required for the Hopper from Dish for $60. I leave the spare node installed in the RV and take the Hopper and one of the Joeys from home when we go out in the RV. It took me awhile to figure out the aiming process, but now know the tricks to making it work.

I have two "horns" for the dish...a double eye (for the eastern arc sat's 61.5 & 72) and a triple eye (for the western arc sat's 110, 119 & 129). I call Dish before I relocate, give them a new zip code and ask which satellite brings in the HD locals for that zip code. If it's the same satellite I'm using at the time and I'm going less than 300 miles, I don't need to change anything. If the HD locals are on a different satellite, I change the horn and ask Dish to change my "service address" to the new zipcode, so that when I arrive and set up the dish, I'm good to go and don't have to wait while I call them and have them change it while I could be watching TV. The local Dish installer gave me a book of zip codes for both the eastern & western arcs and the parameters to aim the dish. They also gave me the triple horn after realizing I would be travelling all over the USA in the RV.

While Dish will tell you the Hopper won't work for RV's, the Hopper really doesn't know where it's at. As long as you have the correct dish, can see the satellites and use the node, it works in the RV just as well as it does in the house. Sorry for the long reply, but figured there were folks out there that would be interested in doing as I have done. I can now take my recorded shows with me when I go and when I get home, I still have what I may have recorded on the road.

wdk450

One comment to Wolfpackers post. It is more important to me (usually) to get my Sacramento area sports channels so I can watch my A's and Giants games when travelling, so I DON'T call Dish to change my service address when on the road. I lose the Sacramento spotbeam local OTA TV channels when I am more than about 200 miles from home, but I get the allotted 2 Sacramento sports channels wherever I get Dish Satellite. If I want locals I can switch to the trailer's antenna, or run a 2nd cable from a park's cable jack through the window to the living room T.V.'s "Tuner" input (the satellite uses the "composite" input). A simple switch of TV inputs switches TV signal source.

Wolfpackers

For the most part, I don't care where my locals are coming from. If they are where I last parked the RV, that's OK because like Bill says above, I can either use the campground cable or the roof antenna (usually) to get local locals. What I do get by having locals come in thru the Dish network is that I can DVR the shows, whereas if they are on the park's cable or roof antenna, I can't. Dish also sells an OTA device that allows you to connect the park's cable or roof antenna to the device and then you can record/watch them thru the Hopper. I haven't looked into that yet, but may for future long trips.

szewczyk_john

Update on dish network and the sling box. I have added the sling box to my home's DVR capable receiver. I can now access my receiver through the web. I have had it working on my Macbook and the wife's iPad. This allows me to view any recorded program, watch live TV (as long as the DVR is not recording something and if it is you will be watching what is recording), and/or set the DVR while away from home. I know that apple sells connections that allow you to view your device screen on a TV so this will be my next test. If this works, as campgrounds add web connections, I will not even have to set up the dish or anything. I will have access to my complete dish lineup no matter where I decide to go. I have had Dish Network for years and have had no problems. There are NO additional fees for this service and they even gave me the sling box device and the wi fi connector for free. This was done as a loyalty bonus since I have had them for so long.