VIAIR Compressor versus tank compressor

RVFun4Us

Read some of the old threads that are now closed on the VIAIR. I am in the market for an air compressor to fill my 110 PSI RV tires when pressure is low. I currently have a Ryobi air compressor that is AC. I understand that the VIAIR only runs off a battery. I can see how that would be great for boondocking but we stay exclusively at parks with AC connections. So for those that have the VIAIR, do you connect to your truck battery while using? How much of a hassle is that versus a unit with an AC connection? The VIAIR sounds great but just wish it had both a battery and AC connection. Please let me know your thoughts.

CDN

B and B
Hello,

Was an easy solution for me. Vivair in CAN Dollars was close to $300.00. The Small Port Brace pancake was CAD$120 from Home Depot. I carry a generator so I was covered if needed on the road. Mostly done storage lot or campground.

I can run a pin nail or stapler. Also winterize blowing water out prior to antifreeze. I use it for Mouse Proof chopper gun too.

Brian

Last edited:

Flick

Hello,

Was an easy solution for me. Vivair in CAN Dollars was close to $300.00. The Small Port Brace pancake was CAD$120 from Home Depot. I carry a generator so I was covered if needed on the road. Mostly done storage lot or campground.

I can run a pin nail or stapler. Also winterize blowing water out prior to antifreeze. I use it for Mouse Proof chopper gun too.

Brian

It was an easy decision for me to. 12v over 110v. I chose the 400p-rv over the 450p-rv. Be careful to not be lured in to one that doesn’t say rv. They’re cheaper but not as good. I also have a generator when I pull my rv, but when the rv is not along, I don’t have 110 and need 12v. Hooking to the truck or rv battery is no problem. The 400p-rv as does the 450 comes with 60’ of coiled hose. The new model 400 also has a cutoff switch which allows you to leave it hooked up to 12v when changing to a different tire. It cuts off and comes back on. The 450 has a 60 min duty cycle compared to a 20 on the 400. But the 400 puts out much more air. I can’t run a nailer, but hey, you can’t have everything.

DirtyMax88

Read some of the old threads that are now closed on the VIAIR. I am in the market for an air compressor to fill my 110 PSI RV tires when pressure is low. I currently have a Ryobi air compressor that is AC. I understand that the VIAIR only runs off a battery. I can see how that would be great for boondocking but we stay exclusively at parks with AC connections. So for those that have the VIAIR, do you connect to your truck battery while using? How much of a hassle is that versus a unit with an AC connection? The VIAIR sounds great but just wish it had both a battery and AC connection. Please let me know your thoughts.

We have the 12v ViAir 450P RV. I find myself using it for everything, not just for the RV. Since we have H rated tires on our RV, this model ViAir is great for getting the pressure up to 120+ PSI. One thing I also carry everywhere/every trip is a battery jump box, just in case. I connect the ViAir to that, which I find more convenient then moving the truck, or hooking to the RV batteries. It's expensive but worth every penny in our book. You will never need another air compressor. I even bought a little mini one to keep in tool box on our RZR, for issues out on the trail.

danemayer

I made up a 7 pin plug that breaks out 12V and ground to posts the Viair clamps onto. When using the compressor, I plug this into the bumper receptacle. Makes it easy to reach RV tires or truck tires and no lifting the hood.

2015-12-12 15.04.06.jpg No

I had an issue one time with a leaking tire, ended up as bad rim.
I was on I-65 and noticed tire losing air on my TST Tire monitor.
I was between fueling stations and had to go into an RV park and ask permission to use a pull through site with electric so I could use my 120 volt air compressor, you just can’t just pull into a local gas station for air, hauling a huge 5th wheel.
I purchased a Viair 450 RV after that.
If I had the Viair at the time of that incident I could have pulled into a rest stop and added air to the tire.
I’ve run this off the truck battery and trailer house battery, all you need is the 12 volt supply.
To me, this purchase was money well spent.
You may end up in a position where you need air, but you have no 120 volt AC like I did.
I also originally opted for the 120 volt compressor because of cost, but after that incident, I learned when you need air, you may not have power near by.
Think about that.

Hockster

Flick

I made up a 7 pin plug that breaks out 12V and ground to posts the Viair clamps onto. When using the compressor, I plug this into the bumper receptacle. Makes it easy to reach RV tires or truck tires and no lifting the hood.

View attachment 63858 No

I like that idea but wonder about the amp pull. The 400 pulls 7 more amps than the 450, 30amps vs 23 amps. Don’t know what that auxiliary wire in the plug is rated at. Viair even suggests to let your vehicle run while using the compressor. It is a heavy duty unit.

danemayer

I like that idea but wonder about the amp pull. The 400 pulls 7 more amps than the 450, 30amps vs 23 amps. Don’t know what that auxiliary wire in the plug is rated at. Viair even suggests to let your vehicle run while using the compressor. It is a heavy duty unit.

It supplies sufficient power for my 450P, but as the manual says, you should have the truck engine running. I find that putting it into a high idle is helpful.

RVFun4Us

So if I purchased a VIAIR, which should I choose for my fifth wheel with G rated tires and inflation to 110 psi? The 400RV-P or 450RV-P?

Flick

Get the 450 or 450RV. I have the 450 and carry an extra hose.

It’s just personal preference. I bought the 400p-rv because it puts out a bit more volume but it’s duty cycle is 33% vs 100%. I figured I wouldn’t be sure using it longer that 20 min at a time. Other than that they appear to be identical. They’re both automatic.