Wanting to add 2nd Dometic AC unit on pre-wired rig

kentz678

We have a new 2021 Trail Runner 31db. 36 ft long and one Dometic AC with thermostat. I am fairly handy guy, and with some assistance I believe I can add a 2nd unit to the pre-wired location. It already has a 20amp breaker, and it appears the wiring is ran to the vent I'll be placing it in. Have you done this? Is there a second thermostat location, or are both units ran by a single thermostat? Or do you have to get a manual control for the bottom of the AC unit? Thank you for you help!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If your second AC location has the Romex in place you need to check for the low voltage thermostat wire as well.
If that wire is in place the then you will need to call Heartland and find out where that second thermostat should be located.
If no thermostat wire is in place then you will need to buy an AC with the control right on the unit.
I've done it and hardest part is getting the unit on the roof and cleaning the caulk from the old vent.
My neighbor has a Bobcat with a bucket so that past was easy.

Peace
Dave

Gary521

In an older trailer, I added a second AC. There was no thermostat wire, so I added one by running it thru the ceiling. However, I can see where in some cases this may not be possible. If you want or need a wall thermostat, I would also run a thermostat wire in a wiremold.

rbd1798

If your second AC location has the Romex in place you need to check for the low voltage thermostat wire as well.
If that wire is in place the then you will need to call Heartland and find out where that second thermostat should be located.
If no thermostat wire is in place then you will need to buy an AC with the control right on the unit.
I've done it and hardest part is getting the unit on the roof and cleaning the caulk from the old vent.
My neighbor has a Bobcat with a bucket so that past was easy.

Peace
Dave
I have a romax cable that came through the vent and wired it to the installed AC but the problem is the wire isn't hot. I can't find where the wire comes in back of the breaker panel. Need help knowing where to find it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Pull the breaker panel, the wire might be coiled up behind. You will need to install a breaker.

Peace
Dave

rbd1798

Pull the breaker panel, the wire might be coiled up behind. You will need to install a breaker.

Peace
Dave
Thanks Dave; We have already pulled the breaker plus the panel below and we can see two yellow romax wires that shows one for main AC and one for microwave.
These both have different code stamping on the wire coming through the ceiling.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Make a call to Heartland and I believe they can tell you where that cable terminates.
In my last Bighorn they were able to tell me where in the wall the thermostat wire was to be found.

Peace
Dave

rbd1798

Make a call to Heartland and I believe they can tell you where that cable terminates.
In my last Bighorn they were able to tell me where in the wall the thermostat wire was to be found.

Peace
Dave
Thanks Dave; I do not need the thermostat hookup just to yellow romex wire that was tucked inside the vent housing. I have called Heartland and I might get a message back from an engineer. I have asked my local RV places and even with their advice no deal.
Now to get help looking in the under belly.