Washer/Dryer for Bighorn. Combo or Separates?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Well, thanks for all the info here.... we took the plunge and purchased a Pinnacle Combo unit from PPL. This unit is unique in that it can be run as ventless or vented. We are not sure our 5ver was designed for a vented unit -- the w/d hookups are run within a chase inside the closet against the outside wall, and there's not an easy way to run a vent outside.

The Pinnacle lets us have a w/d that will work as a non- vented for now, and a vented unit if we upgrade rigs in the future.

Now comes the fun part! Paring down the hanging clothes and finding new homes for many things in the closet so we can get it in there and hooked up. It may take us some time, but I'll try to post pics as we install.

BTW, the Splendide brand looks really nice. Unfortunately you have to choose, vented or ventless, they are separate units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used to have a Splendide combo unit in our Alfa Gold. It worked great. We then got the separates (Majestic brands) when we bought our first Landmark. It was handy to be able to dry and wash separately. When the washer blew a hose which was not replaceable we recently bought the Pinnacle combo from PPL. They have a terrific price on them. Also the company that makes the Pinnacle bought out Majestic. The Pinnacle does have the unique feature where the dryer can be used vented or ventless. We use it vented since the previous Majestic dryer is vented. Also the instruction talk about how the ventless can add humidity to the RV and the clothes dry slower. The wife says she loves the Pinnacle better than either of the previous units. The other thing is with the separate units they take up more space and on two occasions the hookups for the washer had vibrated slightly loose causing leaking. We had to remove the door and frame and pull the units out to access the hookups. It was a PITA. Now I can access the hookups without moving the unit out. Also we have alot more storage above the Pinnacle that we did not have. Hope this helps.

Bohemian

Re: Washer and Dryer

Well,

You have me wondering about size of these compact combo units:

Splendide: 23 1/2w x 23 1/2 d
LG 3477: 24w x 25d
LG 3997: 27w x 30d

What are the typical sizes of the spaces we have in the closets for these units, and cleatances?

bobca1

I also recommend Splendide, I can say with firsthand experience they are pretty tough units. I have the 2 separate stackable units, installed them myself in the garage in my Cyclone using the floor brackets. First trip out after installing and the stack tipped over, dryer ripped the top off the washer and the drum in washer with that heavy cement counterbalance dented up the front of the washer when it bounced around inside. I thought well that is the end of the washer, but it still worked! 20+ loads later still working fine and no leaks. The stack is attached to wall now with earthquake cable straps :)
I have 2 kids and we go the beach often, so to keep up with washing clothes and beach towels I needed separate units. If you don't have that much laundry to do then combo unit seems like it would be the better choice.

Also, I would recommend the Splendide units. We've never had a problem with ours and they get much better reviews than the Whirlpools.

BobnBet

We also have a BH3685 and have a Splendide combo ordered. Do you have yours sitting on the floor or on a platform? Also, can you tell me about how far up the wall the vent should be placed?

BobnBet

Have had the Splendide combo unit now for 7 years in two different coaches (presently in our BH) and would not want the stackables. Yes, smaller loads ... yes you cannot be washing another load while drying one. Whats the big deal? We're retired with lots of time on our hands ... so we throw a small load in when we go to the beach ... or shopping ... or whatever.
With the combo unit we do not lose the hanging space above in what is also our coat closet by the door in our BH3685.

You will probably like whichever one you decide on ... definitely a personal choice ... but for us it's the combo unit .

Try again...We also have a BH3685. We have a Splendide vented combo ordered. Do you have yours sitting on the floor or on a platform? Also, about how far up the wall did you put the dryer vent? And how far in from the back wall? Thanks!p

Help! I have read the manuals. No water. How do I turn water on. We have a 365 Landmark Newport. Stackable splendide.
I'm trying now. PLEASE HELP ME TO TURN RIGHT KNOBS.

danemayer

Help! I have read the manuals. No water. How do I turn water on. We have a 365 Landmark Newport. Stackable splendide.
I'm trying now. PLEASE HELP ME TO TURN RIGHT KNOBS.

Hi juneausilver,

I'm assuming you have water flowing in the rest of the coach; just not getting to the washing machine.

There are valves where the washing machine hoses are connected to the faucets behind the machine. They have to be opened, just like at home. If this is the first time using the machine, perhaps your dealer left the valves closed.

rxbristol

Hi juneausilver,

I'm assuming you have water flowing in the rest of the coach; just not getting to the washing machine.

There are valves where the washing machine hoses are connected to the faucets behind the machine. They have to be opened, just like at home. If this is the first time using the machine, perhaps your dealer left the valves closed.

Or worse...never hooked them up.

Hi. Thank you for getting back to me. I would have responded earlier, however, I was busy trying to figure out how to get the system up and running. You were right about the shut off valves and when we turned them on, all **** broke loose. Actually, we had a gyser behind the washer. Water was spewing every where. Took a while to get it shut off. What a mess! The person that installed our W/D did not take the time to test for anything. If it worked, if it was hooked up correctly or for leaks. None of the above. He even put the drip pan in wrong. We had a certified RV tech come over and he and my husband were able to get the stackable out. He was surprised to see the lack of professionalism was in this install. It was repaired and now all seems to work just fine.

I know this is only a W/D but this is #4 flooding due to service tech not following up on his jobs.

There is much more to share, but for now I am thankful for this day.

Again, thank you for your help. Judy

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Well,

You have me wondering about size of these compact combo units:

Splendide: 23 1/2w x 23 1/2 d
LG 3477: 24w x 25d
LG 3997: 27w x 30d

What are the typical sizes of the spaces we have in the closets for these units, and cleatances?

In our new BC 4010RD, in the closet for the WD, the space is only 24" wide at the floor, due to a wiring/pipe chase.

MCTalley

In our new BC 4010RD, in the closet for the WD, the space is only 24" wide at the floor, due to a wiring/pipe chase.

Ditto for the closet in our 3650RL. Probably the same exact closets.

Word of warning (because I was measuring everything on the way into our trailer today for a probable purchase tomorrow) - the bedroom doorway doorframe is 23 1/2" wide.

jbeletti

Ditto for the closet in our 3650RL. Probably the same exact closets.

Word of warning (because I was measuring everything on the way into our trailer today for a probable purchase tomorrow) - the bedroom doorway doorframe is 23 1/2" wide.

Interior doors/frames can be removed in 5 minutes. Reinstalled in 10 minutes with brad nailer and screw driver. BTDT many times :)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Oh, reminds me, we just moved ours from the ElkRidge to the Big Country... Luckily, with help from three workers from the dealership. In the BC they removed the bedroom door and the grab handle in the stairway, to make it easier. Did not have to remove the frame if the w/d can go through sideways. Took 5 min to remove, and install again.