Water connections and leaks

Blufrog

As I am researching the Bighorn 3585RL the biggest concern for me so far with issues noted here on the forums wound be the water connections leaking in the basement and having to replace them all and fix the plumbing issues.

The question I have "Is Heartland fixing this issue currently or still using the existing setup/connections that are problematic?"

Thank you

:cool:

beardedone

Beardedone
Good question that deserves to be posted in the "Ask the Factory" thread. Also, Jim B was going to take a picture of the "new" plumbing and posting it. Judging by his last post about this subject that picture should be up very soon. If HL isn't aware of the issue then something is wrong.

ChopperBill

Lots of brass fittings and elbows that replace the plastic on the pressure lines that seemed to be problematic on some posts, on our new Bighorn.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Cheer up, you're getting a freebie. By having to repair and rework the plumbing, you're getting qualified as a PEX repairman. Certificate is in the mail.

Blufrog

Well I am not afraid to tackle plumbing as I have done plenty before. I guess I am hoping that Heartland is listening to the issues posted in the forums here and are looking into a fix that is not prone to leaks.

Living in the PNW we have plenty of moisture to worry about here without adding leaks that are a known issue with current hardware used on the units. If a leaks starts in the fall the unit won't dry out till August here. :)

bigbird272

I just love the brochure that shows all of the water lines on Bighorn pressure tested before it leaves the factory. They also pressure test the unit to make sure the seams do not leak. With all this testing how come the majority of us have at the minimum leaking sinks and water lines? I was also told by a service rep that the plastic fitting at the back of the hot water tank will blow. It is not a matter of if but when. He suggested it should be replaced with brass before to long. God I just hate plastic fittings. I have replaced the fresh water connection and the black flush with brass and now surprise, no more leaks. I would not mind paying more money for brass over plastic just to prevent these leaks. The savings from warranty repairs that Heartland has to cover would more than pay for this.

Rick