Water Leaks on 3010

BST

Hey guys, made a trip to South Lake Tahoe and stayed at Camp Richardson with full hookups. I developed a leak in the pex plumbing at the fittings behind the Anderson Kantleak 4-way valve. My first inclination before pulling the bulkhead in the basement was my hot water heater was leaking only to find leaks on the pex. Didn't want to ruin the family vacation, so I let it leak with the intention of fixing the problem when I got home.

When setting up at Camp Richardson I set the 4-way valve to "City" then connected to the site's water. I had a in-line backflow on the hose and no pressure regulator. I went inside the 5'ver and checked the water and did not notice that I have the water pump on until I heard it come on. I turned it off right away and went about setting everything else up to include turning on the HWH using electric. The next day I noticed the leak and thought it was the HWH. Got into the basement and saw that the leaks were coming from the pex to fitting connection at a few locations and not the HWH.

I'm at home now with the house water hooked up to the rig and no leaks.

So, has anyone had an experience where they had the water pump on while connected to "City"? I'm wondering if the water pump may have built up to much water pressure when I turned on the water while connected to "City" which may be the cause of the problem??

It didn't appear that the Camp Richardson site had to much water pressure, but I couldn't say for sure because I don't have a pressure regulator. Do any of you have a have a pressure regulator installed in your rig or carry a portable that you place in-line when you connect to "City"?

Thank you in advance for any helpful information!!

Scotty

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It's a must to have a pressure regulator. I've been to parks that have provided over 100 psi, way too much for our rigs. I just left a park that had 40 psi.
I think most have a regulator that will screw on to the water hose.
Don't cheap out by getting the inexpensive plastic one from Wal-Mart. Get at least a pretty good one.

Peace
Dave

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I had a friend that hooked his new Bighorn to park with no regulator and figured it out the hard way to ALWASY USE A PRESSURE REGULATOR !!!!
This park has about 110psi and we found 3 or 4 leakes behind the basement wall.
My guess is the park had over 60psi and thats why it leaked there and not at home.

I have mine set just under 60psi now

Link: https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=506459&viewfull=1#post506459

ed6bdda397bdddeedabf97136778d224.jpg

Jerrod

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

danemayer

There are 2 parameters for water pressure regulators: 1) maximum pressure allowed - for fixed regulators, usually around 40-50 psi, and 2) water flow - gallons per minute of water flow.

Inexpensive regulators often only allow a little water flow - sometimes less than 1 gallon per minute.

RVWaterFilterStore.com has several types with good water flow. Some adjustable, some fixed.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
And there is always the possibility that the PEX connection was not crimped correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

I have been at two parks with 200psi. Several with 100psi plus. One of the parks with 200psi was near Applimatics court house and the other I cannot remember. They both warned you about not having a pressure regulator. I carry two cheep ones and one good one. The cheep one, when the pressure is higher than 80psi, goes on the faucet. The good one is in my UDC. Remember to protect your hoses as well.

WBG

WBGavin
There are 2 parameters for water pressure regulators: 1) maximum pressure allowed - for fixed regulators, usually around 40-50 psi, and 2) water flow - gallons per minute of water flow.

Inexpensive regulators often only allow a little water flow - sometimes less than 1 gallon per minute.

RVWaterFilterStore.com has several types with good water flow. Some adjustable, some fixed.

Thanks for the tip. I have been looking for one and now I know what to buy.

BST

Thank you to all of you for your responses!

I tried to duplicate the setup that that I had at Camp Richardson at home and have not had any leaks. As per most of your responses I’m attributing the leaks to high water pressure at the Camp Richardson site. And, per recommendation I’ll be looking to pick up a quality pressure reducing valve.

Again, thank you for your responses!!