water freezes in the supply line

Luckyhat12

if you guys go out and open your tank drain pull door and look towards where your pipes are supposed to be you might be like me and see exposed pipes directly exposed to the outside elements. There is no insulation around them and the only thing that will keep them warmer is the sheet metal bottom side of the camper that has all kinds of holes in it. If you go further back there is only a plastic piece shielding them from the elements. I am going to build an enclosure for those pipes out of foam board and hold it in place with spray foam to try and insulate a little more. I was fustrated because I made all kinds of preparations to keep my camper warmer and still had frozen pipes 4 days this winter. It froze in a different spot each day and that is how I eventually found these exposed pipes. And another thing.. I don't have any heat ducts pointed into the central water hookup area. the under belly may be heated but where the water pipes are is not.

Also, put something in the hole where your water hose comes through to hook up because all of those fittings are only insulated with a piece of fiberglass coated paneling. No other insulation so you could have plenty of heat in your hose and still have your water freeze inside your basement there if the wind is blowing.

What about running heat tape down your suply line to the tank? That would provide enough heat to keep it from freezing? Just a thought.

Loco

Water tank supports and wood

DW
I would tell everyone to check your Tank supports and wood. We have a 2007 3795. Our tank fell down into the frame the first time I filled it when it was New. (Thank God we were not on the road) I spent 6 hours that night putting new Steel under the tank to hold it up. So I could meet our friends for a trip the next day. The pictures are under Loco posts (Water tank fixes) on here. I would tell everyone to check their tanks My tank will never fail again. It is held up with 3 inch X 1 X 1/4 channel steel Now.

DW_Gray

Thanks for all the info. I will consider the recommendations and decide the best solution.

BTW: The frozen water in the tanks finally thawed out after two weeks in Florida. I emptied the tank before I left NC. Then this past week I noticed there was water in there again. It was still about half full.