Water heater anode rod

WillyBill

What about just run a tap in the hole lightly to clean it up and the same on the anode with a die. Quicker than going to the store.

WB

Jim828

I'd try a die on the anode first. The old one looks like it came out easily so the threads in the tank hopefully are in good shape.

Take a 3/4” steel pipe coupling and try fitting it onto the new anode. That will tell you if you have an incorrectly threaded anode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like your new anode may be longer than old. It may be hitting back of tank. You can adjust with hacksaw if needed.

kbausano

Took my calipers to the threads - they both read the same, on both ends of the threads

870eb6cdf6f27a8df4394121a67f228b.jpg

Last edited:

danemayer

Maybe a silly question. Is this the part called for by the Water Heater manufacturer, or perhaps a generic replacement?

danemayer

Maybe spend another $14 to get a Suburban part. If there's no difference, you'll have an extra for next year.

kbausano

Maybe spend another $14 to get a Suburban part. If there's no difference, you'll have an extra for next year.

Our suburban paperwork had no parts list with it. So will have to call them to get the correct part number.

jbeletti

Ken,

You may need to resort to chasing the threads of the insert in the water heater. There still could be enough lodged crud in the threads to impair threading the new rod in.

Here's the one I carry in my plumbing kit - link
Google ChromeScreenSnapz472.jpg

If you're coming to Goshen 2019, maybe you'll win a water heater care kit. Won't help you now, but maybe later :) I put a number of kits together with an electric element, an anode rod, an element wrench, this 3/4" thread tap, a tank cleanout tool anad a wire brush. Nice (and $$) kit.

kbausano

Ken,

You may need to resort to chasing the threads of the insert in the water heater. There still could be enough lodged crud in the threads to impair threading the new rod in.

Here's the one I carry in my plumbing kit - link
View attachment 58649

If you're coming to Goshen 2019, maybe you'll win a water heater care kit. Won't help you now, but maybe later :) I put a number of kits together with an electric element, an anode rod, an element wrench, this 3/4" thread tap, a tank cleanout tool anad a wire brush. Nice (and $$) kit.

Thanks Jim - a tool I never knew I might need

kbausano

Well folks - I gave up, and finally humbled myself enough to step back into a Camping World (I’m not a fan of the owner’s politics). Long story short, I walked out with a Suburban Anode Rod in my hand which installed quickly and easily into my water heater opening.

Lesson being - perhaps aftermarket products aren’t always the correct item for the job at hand, even when specs seem to line up. . Thanks for everyone’s help and patience for a definite machinist newbie!

Black threads are OEM, brass are after market
43d23e87e92805ebc1ae21bf40712384.jpg

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
The suburban rod is available on Amazon. Purchased my last 2 there

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looks a bit like an Acme thread. (Nothing to do with Willie Coyote)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Well folks - I gave up, and finally humbled myself enough to step back into a Camping World (I’m not a fan of the owner’s politics). Long story short, I walked out with a Suburban Anode Rod in my hand which installed quickly and easily into my water heater opening.

Lesson being - perhaps aftermarket products aren’t always the correct item for the job at hand, even when specs seem to line up. . Thanks for everyone’s help and patience for a definite machinist newbie!

Black threads are OEM, brass are after market
43d23e87e92805ebc1ae21bf40712384.jpg

I soaked my old corroded one in distilled vinegar. It came out looking new. So now I just swap out the rods and resoak.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk