Water Heater Low Propane Flow

We seldom use water Heater on Propane. Heartland Plumbed it with Black Pipe and copper tubing that stuck out very close to side of trailer. I removed the 8 in nipple and replaced it with a 4 inch nipple. When I removed the female brass pipe to flare fitting the inside was almost filled with pipe dope. It looked like they coated the female threads and not the male end of pipe.I cleaned it out and tested it later. Heater fired quickly and flame was higher than it ever was.

I know a few people have problems running Water Heater on propane when stove and refrigerator, Furnace all work correctly.
Oh this is on a 2016 Prowler 33p-bhs Maybe this will help someone else with same problem. It is also possible where any brass female pipe to flare fitting is used.

mlpeloquin

I had excessive propane consumption and had my rig checked twice for leaks.s None were found. On our last trip back east, I finally purchased an electronic tester. Found the leak in the water heater flare fitting. So sensitive it was able to narrow it down to the exact spot on the fitting. When I took it apart, there was no pipe dope. The fitting was tight. So I added a very small amount of plumbers pipe dope and snugged it up. No leaks. I have left my fifth wheel with the gas bottles turned off for three month and it still has pressure in the lines. The advice to use a very small amount of pipe dope was from my neighbor who is a certified master plumber. I don't think Heartland uses plumbers dope during construction. My propane use was cut in half. You would think you could smell the propane with a small leak, but you could not and gas leak bubble detection stuff could not.