Water in Light

u243412

So I'm pressure washing the rig today - getting 'er ready for winter.
And I spray up at the clear light at the front of the unit. (not the orange porch light). And what happens - thing starts filling with water? WTH? I tried the other side and it too started to fill up with water.

Guess I'll climb up there tomorrow and see if I can drain and seal it up.

Not sure if I'm gonna find that there are a couple of holes in the lens and the factory installed them upside down (as others have noted in other threads) or if the seals have dried and it leaks. Some have suggested to drill 2 small holes in the bottom half of the lens to let water drain out all the time. (as well as seal it up with RVT)

rick_debbie_gallant

So was the water entering from the bottom of the light as you sprayed up or from the top of the light as the water ran down the side to the light. I dont think the bottoms are sealed so that any water that doew enter will flow out. (I think)

hoefler

They have drain holes in the bottom. If you force enough water in them, they will not drain as they need air to enter from the bottom as well.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you seal them up, they will fog up. I'd be very careful about where you point a pressure washer on the trailer lest you create leaks where none existed.

BarneyFife

Mine has done the exact same thing. Having the gutters drain directly over that light is not a brilliant design plan on Heartland's part.

truknutt

Committed Member
There have been instances where these lens' were installed upside down. I'd check to ensure the drain hole is on the bottom.

RoadJunkie

"And I spray up at the clear light at the front of the unit"

Rain doesn't fall up, especially at the force of a spray washer. I expect the lens is mounted correctly and the pressure forced the water into the weep hole. If you're really concerned try a gentle spray above the light to determine if it leaks in a real-world condition.