Water on basement floor

Mike & Carol

Got a question...have a new 2011 Grand Canyon...noticed a small bit of water in basement on left side, near door....on our mayden voyage. Does that wall come out easily to access plumbing/electrical? I did notice inverter and numerous fittings looking thru vent holes. Looks like just a handful of small screws to take out, am I correct.

thanks for advise,

Mike

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Yes...just remove the screws and pull the panel out. I am assuming you are looking on what's called the "off door side"...meaning right behind the Utility Docking Center (UDC), where all your connections are made??

Mike & Carol

No....I am talking about the the same side as entry door...opposite side from where hookups are made,,,facing entry, left side

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The wall on that side will also come away the same way, but the vac system is attached, so you will only be able to pull out so far...

Did you just flush your black tank, or has it rained recently??

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your water heater is on the door side. May have a loose fitting.
When you want to remove the bulkhead, start on the off door side. There are four screws in the UDC that hold part of the wall in. Then there are screws on the other side of that panel. If you need to you can remove the other half. You may have to remove the black "chase" above the baggage slam door on the door side to get that side out. Also remove the trim ring on the vacuum. There is also a trim strip on the door side wall that will have to be removed.
Hope this helps.

Peace
Dave

Mike & Carol

No rain....and I did not flush back tank. Just had city water hookup...took a bunch of showers,etc. Just a small amount of dampness was present.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
That area in the Grand Canyon is under the Shower/Bathroom sink area. Check all the hose connections under the sink, then take off the access panel on the off-door side (next to UDC) and you can see into the area under the bathroom. Put pressure on the water lines and see if anything looks like it's leaking. Also, run water thru the sink and shower to see if a drain fitting is loose. Last possibility in the area is the water supply line for the stool. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Just a thought....this same thing happened to us right after we picked up our 2011 34QSRL Elkridge last year. Turned out that the door latch needed to be adjusted (tightened) to snug up the closure. Water was leaking down the seal edge into the basement area. Good Luck.

mdedgett

Re: Water on basement floor - Water Leak

We had a problem in our 3670RL bighorn finding an inch or two of water in the basement (storage compartment). This repeated several times, even after the dealer checked it out and found everything OK. On one occasion I actually heard water running and removed the panel to get to the water pump and other mechanical items. I found water spraying from the back side of the connection where the shore water hose screws in. I jostled the hose around a little and the leak alternated between a strong spray and a slow leak. I removed the connection from the trailer and rebuilt it with shims to create a tighter seal, this seamed to work but the problem repeated a couple trips later. I again rebuilt it with the same indications of success (still leaked after a couple of trips). We ran across two or three other bighorn owners that experienced the same problem while on the road. One suggested a fix that has worked very well. I connected a 45 degree metal fitting directly to the shore connection on the trailer using a wrench to get it very tight, I connected a short strain relief hose to this and put a quick connect onto this short section of hose. I then verified I had no leaks when connected and even tested it at a park with very high water pressure and no regulator installed on the hose, there were no leaks when the fitting was jiggled around. I have had no problem with this setup for more than 20 stops.

Birchwood

We have had water in that area of the basement floor many times.Just keep all your gear on something water will not penetrate.
Sometimes the water seeps in fom the control area after disconnecting the city water.Another time the winterizing valves were all cracked probanly from winter storage.
And finally on two occasions the black tank squirted stinkey water due to a small
hole on the side of the black water tank.I think I have everything contained now so all is well.

Last edited:

amkuntz

We have a 2011 Grand Canyon and had the same problem, but ours was due to the city water hookup. The hose pulled down on the little daisy tightener and water would leak down the face of the UDC and trickle back in through the holes around the winterizing levers. We added a four way valve and hooked up short hoses from it to the black tank rinse, the city water and one to fill the water tank. It is wide enough that it sits across the hole on the bottom and takes all the stress off the UDC connections.