Water Pooling in Underbelly

busted2341

Has anyone else had a problem with water pooling in the underbelly? I have had 3 water leaks by lines that have been repaired but after 2 days of rain, I have discovered the underbelly, behind the axle, in the middle is pooling with water. I have notified Heartland and have an RV service on the way to look at it. From what I can tell, I dropped the mesh/membrane or belly cover (whatever it's called) of the underbelly and you can see and feel the water. I do not feel or see anything ahead of the axle and I do not smell anything so I don't think its a tank. Nothing is wet inside that I can see or feel. I am wondering if the back cap could be a source of water intrusion? I checked the seals and caulking and all look good. This is a BRAND NEW trailer built in March 15 and delivered to me on May 1, 2015. I would think these trailers would be water pressure tested at the factory.

busted2341

No driving in the rain. We have been parked here in the Park for more than a month...and the rain over the 2 days was just a steady rain not a hard driving rain. More than sprinkle but not a pouring rain..

danemayer

You should check for the overflow drains from the fresh tank. They normally are brought out through the frame and a pex line is run toward the entry steps where it terminates in a 90 degree pex fitting. If the factory didn't bring the overflow lines out, the fresh tank could be overflowing into the underbelly.

brianlajoie

I had a lose connection on the pex line going to the outside shower. It was leaking behind the UDC into the underbelly membrane.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I had a problem with the tank over flow lines that Dan is talking about. Mine came past the frame, but the 90 elbows were pointed straight up and the water would follow the pex right back into the underbelly. I turned the angle to about 45 degrees and have had now problems since then.

carl.swoyer

Fresh water holding tank overfill line probably not installed. So your splashing over into the belly. You should have two lines one left and right of the rear axle and one blue on hwy side rear of rear axle

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

busted2341

thanx and I'll check. But The trailer has been parked for more than a month and I only keep the fresh water tank about a 1/3 full. So there should be no overfill at all. I think the water might be coming in through the rear cap some how. Lights maybe or winding underneath some where. I don't see any water flow lines (not actual red/blue line) though, that's what' so confusing. It's just flowing to the middle low spot but as I said I do not see the "line" of water that you should see which would show direction.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
But if Frank and Dawn haven't been driving or filling their fresh water tank, then that shouldn't be the problem. Even if Frank had no fresh water tank drain lines, then if he is not driving or filling his fresh water tank, there should be no way for the water to overflow, unless Frank has an Anderson Valve problem that is very slowly trickling his tank in the normal city water position. Frank's idea of a leak around lights or something not properly sealed is a little more likely I think.

Rod

danemayer

But if Frank and Dawn haven't been driving or filling their fresh water tank, then that shouldn't be the problem. Even if Frank had no fresh water tank drain lines, then if he is not driving or filling his fresh water tank, there should be no way for the water to overflow, unless Frank has an Anderson Valve problem that is very slowly trickling his tank in the normal city water position. Frank's idea of a leak around lights or something not properly sealed is a little more likely I think.

Rod

The fresh tank can fill on its own if there's water leaking through the 4 Way Anderson Valve. Although it seems less likely that there would be a combination of this and a misplaced overflow drain, both have been known to happen.

Adding a check valve on the output side of the water pump would be one way to keep the fresh tank from filling on its own. And if that is what's happening, the Anderson Valve or the valve cartridge should be replaced.

And the overflow drain(s) should be checked.

Attachments

• Fresh Tank Overflow annotated.jpg
    Fresh Tank Overflow annotated.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 79

TxCowboy

Let me ask the stupid question -- why would HL, on any of their product lines, terminate an overflow of any type INSIDE the plastic belly liner? I'm sure my fresh water tank has an overflow value but I have no idea where that value terminates which is why I have never filled the fresh water tank more than 2/3 full. I don't want to have to deal with the issue the OP is asking about.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Let me ask the stupid question -- why would HL, on any of their product lines, terminate an overflow of any type INSIDE the plastic belly liner? I'm sure my fresh water tank has an overflow value but I have no idea where that value terminates which is why I have never filled the fresh water tank more than 2/3 full. I don't want to have to deal with the issue the OP is asking about.

On our Prowler the fresh tank drain valve is behind the rear wheel on the off door side . . . a real PITA to get to, especially if the slide is out!

ProwlerFreshDrain-P1000181.jpg

TxCowboy

John, no worries about the tank drain. It's the only line I have that actually terminates outside the plastic. Any idea where the OVERFLOW value ends?

Last edited:

akf15e

I have the exact same problem, same spot, so I am curious to see what you discover. My fresh water tank has been empty all year, so it's not an overflow problem. The belly has been cut open and dropped so many times for other repairs, that I am guessing maybe water gets in while driving in the rain. The rig is at the dealer for the 6th time in 11 months for repairs too numerous to list here, so I am hoping they can find the source. I am so disappointed in this rig. If i find anything out I'll be sure to post.

jhardin

I have read somewhere on here about the tag light / holder is not sealed. Just a couple of screws to remove and if it is, the suggestion was to spray some spray foam insulation in there.

mlpeloquin

Just one question. Are you flushing the black water tank after emptying it? The fresh water line could be leaking under pressure at the tank sprayer. It happened to me on a class C I owned.

busted2341

Yes I do and I run it for about 45 minutes after I drain it which is about every 10 days or so. But I do not seem to have any water ahead of the axle only behind it in the center. Does anyone know the order of the tanks and are they are installed?

danemayer

Just one question. Are you flushing the black water tank after emptying it? The fresh water line could be leaking under pressure at the tank sprayer. It happened to me on a class C I owned.
Don't know about your Class C, but on LM365, the fresh water line is not connected to the black tank flush in any way.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I do and I run it for about 45 minutes after I drain it which is about every 10 days or so. But I do not seem to have any water ahead of the axle only behind it in the center. Does anyone know the order of the tanks and are they are installed?
Page 6 of the Water Systems Guide has a drawing that is representative of most Landmark 365s (ignore the tank at the very rear - Toy Haulers only). If you have the 1/2 bath midships, your layout may be a little different.

meagle

My underbelly could be classified as a pond with all of the water I've had in it since I purchased this unit. I have ducks looking for a place to land around my RV!!! My latest leak occurred last week. A connection coming off the water pump was loose and leaked in the storage compartment and the underbelly. I pulled the insulation around the holding tanks once again due to total saturation. I have had a lot of water in my underbelly when driving in the rain. Heartland was not helpful and would not cover the problem under warranty. I spent several days and several hundred dollars re-sealing the underbelly. It is much better now when driving in the rain, but leaks keep on happening. Heartland should take note of these problems. There are a lot of disgruntled owners who will not be a good referral source for them. It is too bad. I really like my RV but the quality control at Heartland needs a great deal of improvement.