Water pouring out under fifth wheel-

pjaylor

Hi all,

We picked up our new 2015 Big Horn 3570 on Friday. Very exciting! We spent one night in it while we transferred everything from our old unit to new unit.

When we were driving home on Saturday we noticed water pouring out of a small plastic pipe. The pipe was located on the under side of the unit near the spare tire rack close to the door side. The plex pipe was blue and small, about as big around as your little finger, with a turn up and no cap on it. It appeared to be fresh water coming out. The level of fresh water didn't appear to change. It did stop and now we see no moisture. But it was pretty noticeable when it was coming out.

Any idea what was going on? Is there a fresh water overflow back there?

Thanks in advance,

Hunter11

My first thought would be the fresh water tank drain and someone forgot to put the drain cap on it but you said the water level in the tank did not go down as the water came out.

danemayer

A couple of years ago Heartland switched to the 4-way Anderson Valve in the UDC, which allows you to quickly fill the fresh tank with pressurized water flow, rather than with the old gravity water fill system (which often didn't work well and took a long time to fill the tank). However, the pressurized water flow could easily overfill the tank causing damage. To prevent that, there are now overflow drains.

Sounds like your tank was pretty full and some water sloshed out through the overflow.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Yes...that is the fresh water overflow...we have the same thing in the 2013 Landmark. Saw water pour out when we made a left hand turn (I was following in the car)...really scared me till we figured out what it was.

jbeletti

I agree with Dan - it sounds like the fresh water tank "vent" line. It will leak water out when the tank is over-filled. It exists so air in the tank can vent out as water is pushed into the tank.

I don't think this is your issue but I'll share it none-the-less. Once, I had a bad water pump where the built-in check valve failed and allowed water, when connected to city water at a campground, to push back through the pump and fill/overfill my tank and drip water constantly when camped. Replaced pump and problem solved.

danemayer

Our owner-written Water Systems Guide has a drawing that illustrates how a water pump problem, like Jim mentioned, can cause the fresh tank to fill/overfill by itself when hooked up to city water. Page 10.

I had this problem this weekend and found this post. In my case what looked like water pouring from some kind of overflow hose, was actually the plastic wrap around the feedline for the refrigerator ice maker. (Our unit has the residential refrigerator that runs off DC inverter.) After I found the thin plastic tubing hid up in the plastic wrap it was easy to deduce what had happened and I reconnected it with a compression fitting onto the winterization drain cock.

Symptoms were water pouring out on the pavement that started when city water was turned on or when the pump was running and stopped when the water or pump was turned off. Hope this helps someone else avoid a half day of troubleshooting.

chaplady

I had issue with my water tank filling while on city water, check valve went bad on water pump. Id find water coming out overflow because of it

cavtrp

I had this same issue this weekend. As long as the gary tank drain was left open. I didn't have a problem.
What is the answer to resolve this water problem.