Water Pump Not Working

SGeohagan

Our water pump is not pumping. When turned on the light on switch comes on but nothing happens. Checked the fuse and it is good. There is no inline fuse. Hooked up battery jumper directly to pump and it worked. Checked the wiring to the monitor where switch is. Everything is tight. Seems like power is not getting to the pump. Any ideas?

Thanks, Suzy

danemayer

Hi Suzy,

Did you check the fuse with a meter? Sometime a visual check doesn't do it.

If the pump runs on jumper cables, you've either lost power to the pump, or lost the ground. Have you tested voltage on the wires at the pump? I think there may be some wire nuts connecting the pump wires to the trailer wires. That could be a failure point and also makes a good test point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SGeohagan

Yes I checked the fuse with a meter. Removed the wire nuts and checked. Disconnected the pump and got no power to the fuse. The pump will run with jumper. The same fuse runs the pump and the monitor for the battery, tank levels and gas hot water switch. Everything else works.
Will check the fuse again before we take it somewhere.

Thanks,
Suzy

happykraut

You might try and jumper the minus side of the pump directly to a good ground on the rig. Try it and see what happens. If pump still doesn't work then you know the problem is in the 12v plus side of your wiring. And of course if it starts working, then you know you have a grounding problem.

SGeohagan

Update. Found the problem with the water pump. It was the wiring behind the monitor. The wire going to the pump was disconnected. Reconnected with a wire nut and water pump now works. While working in that area I pulled all the wiring out and found a few connections with no wire nuts and tightened up the rest. :eek: Just wanted to thank everyone for the ideas on what to check.

Last edited: