Water Pump replacement info needed

RollingHome

We took our 3670 out for its first test flight and most system/s checked out OK. HL makes a fine product as you all know... But, I have a need that maybe you guys can help me with. We stay at primitive sites which have little or no amenities. This time we had 30 amp electrical service only and we consider this a luxury ! Anyway, we had to use self contained on-board water and waste containment. I would like to do something with the pulsing water IF I can. With the HL supplied pump I cannot install an accumulator tank which reduces the pulse. What about other pumps ? What about a 120 VAC pump. What about putting my new pump system in parallel with the OEM pump and install a by-pass ? In the perfect world of TOM I would have reasonable pressure (25 > 50 PSI) and less pulsing. Have any of you solved or played with this ? Am I looking for pie in the sky or do you think I can do this ? In advance, Thank You, Tom<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

TXBobcat

Fulltime
RollingHome
I have a 08 Bighorn 3400RE. Not sure if you have the same pump as I do, but one thing that someone brought to my mind. Try and open a faucet in the bedroom then open one in the kitchen. You may notice the pulse stops. Here is the idea. The pump runs when there is no pressure, ie the faucet is off. If you open one faucet the pump provides enough water to increase the pressure it slows down or turns off. The pressure then drops and it pumps again. If your pump was not running strong it would run constantly and still providing no pressure until the faucet was turned off. That is why I suggest you turn on another faucet to see if it keeps running.

Not sure why you want to install an accumulator if your pump is working properly.

Just my thoughts..

BC

RollingHome

Thks Bob, I actually hadn't thought of opening a bleeder faucet because of wasting water... maybe I should ! Why the accumulator, in reality, I just want a smoother water flow with a little more pressure, the gush, wheeze, gush wheeze, gush wheeze just ain't cool ! The PA or Modulator would reduce or stop the pulses, Plus Patti has long hair and has to shampoo it 3x just to get it clean, don't ask, I didn't... At home we are on a well and I went to a 40-60 PSI Pressure switch (up from 20-40 PSI) and she is happy as a peacock, I like the garden hose pressure when I wash the cars... I put a pressure booster and accumulator tank in my barn at home (it's 350' from the house pump) with a 30-50 pressure switch and life is good... now I'm just trying to see if I can improve the Horn in like manner... In all due reality, maybe I can't ! I just wanted to pick everyone's brain (like urs) Bob, Thank you for your input. Tom<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
RollingHome, There should be room for a small, 2 gallon accumulator under the floor of the 3670 somewhere. They are available at Menards but I haven't looked at Home D, Lowes or Ace. I've done this to a travel trailer that had way less room. It could even go under a sink. It only needs to be "tee'd) into a cold water line somewhere. Use a pex compression T and adapt it into the accumulator tank. Although it may be better if it's mounted close to the pump. It can be done and it's a great idea. It totally removes the pulsing.

beardedone

Beardedone
I have a quick question about accumulator tanks. Do they have a drain on them for winterization process and if so, can 1/2" line be connected to drain it outside the trailer? Do they make them in plastic?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
There is write-up on this in the new "Trailer Life". They like the new Shurflo model 4008 ($90) for constant flow and low noise. I'm about ready to order one.

RollingHome

Thanks To all :) Gerry, these are small. You could even remove it and store it inside for the winter, I'm not sure if you can get ALL the water out and I wouldn't trust it. I had already bought mine (SUREFLO Charged Bladder type)... that's when I read on this forum that the pump OEM in our unit's recommend NOT installing a accumulator ??? I just don't understand why not, anybody know ? I read the manual and the poster was correct the OEM stated NO to these tanks. ??? That's why I was asking about another type or brand or or pump ? Tom

Ray LeTourneau

I have a quick question about accumulator tanks. Do they have a drain on them for winterization process and if so, can 1/2" line be connected to drain it outside the trailer? Do they make them in plastic?
HERE is a tank from camping world, from Shurflo.

RollingHome

Ray, that's the tank I already purchased. I wonder what will happen to my "SHURFLO" pump if I put this "SHURFLO" Tank in ? I think we ALL are going to find out in the not too distant future... Wonder how much a new replacement pump cost and how hard in a CG it is to replace ? Tom

Ray LeTourneau

Ray, that's the tank I already purchased. I wonder what will happen to my "SHURFLO" pump if I put this "SHURFLO" Tank in ? I think we ALL are going to find out in the not too distant future... Wonder how much a new replacement pump cost and how hard in a CG it is to replace ? Tom
I think you'll be fine. The only tools you need for a pump replacement are a #2 square driver, small channel locks, wire cutters and wire nuts. And about ten minutes of spare time.

Mariposa

When I replaced our pump I took the time to move it. On the floor behine the basement wall. There was enough water line. It is now much easier to get to for servicing
Bob

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We replaced our pumpon our NT with the Flojet Sensor VSD pump. Significantly reduced the pulsing and noise... the original pump's cycling would rattle the pipes in the wall!

TT