Water while dry camping

btbaillie

We have been out with our new Sundance 4 times already and have always hooked up to fresh water. Our next outing we will be dry camping so I have some dumb questions.

1. Since I have only using city water with a hose, has any water gone into my fresh water tank?

2. When I get to my camping spot and fill the fresh water tank I will need to turn on the water pump?

3. Before I leave, I should drain the fresh water tank?

Thanks,

Bruce & Lu

sjs731

1). No

2). Is there a place to fill where you are going? Usually there is not where we go so I fill at home.

3). I usually do so I am not hauling weight I don't need to be. I leave the valve on the drain open for the trip home. Usually some more water will run out when taking corners.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramdually4100king

1. If you have a four way valve and you have cycled it then you could have a small amount of water in the tank.

2. Yes. The water pump needs to be turned on.

3. It is up to you if you drain or not. Just remember the water in the tank can go bad over time and adds to weight.

Good luck on your outing

pegmikef

2. When I get to my camping spot and fill the fresh water tank I will need to turn on the water pump?

Bruce & Lu

You will need to turn on the water pump to use the water from the fresh water tank, but you don't need to turn it on to fill your tank. When you first turn it on, it will probably run a couple of minutes until your hot water heater is full. After that it will automatically come on whenever you turn on a faucet or flush. When we dry camp I also carry a six gallon water can as I have run into a couple of campgrounds (west fork in Colorado for one) where there was not enough pressure to fill my tank.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you don't have the four-way valve that sends water to the tank and have to use the gravity fill port, you may need to attach a short section of clear vinyl hose to the end of your supply hose and feed it into the gravity fill line. Sometimes there are droops in the line and if they fill up, it prevents water getting to the tank. You'll know if you start putting water in and it starts gushing out the port before you've been at it for long.

porthole

Retired
Since it wasn't mentioned, your fresh water tank and system should Nd sanitized.

Just my thoughts, but I try and avoid adding water to my tank at any location outside of my driveway.

If I do have to add water on the road I will sanitize the tanks when I get home.