Weather Guard Termal Protection ?

Fireliter

I have an opportunity to spend the winter just north of Lexington KY. I am new to the Landmark and it's thermal protection. I suspect snow in Georgetown KY. What do you all think?

danemayer

Hi Fireliter,

We take our Landmark to Breckenridge, Colorado for extended ski trips (6 weeks last winter) and have had many nights of subzero temps. No skirting.

Having a dual pane windows, a fireplace and a ceramic disc heater (we have a Pelonis) helps. Staying warm is not a problem.

Keeping water systems from freezing takes more.

You'll have to keep the furnace thermostat turned up so the underbelly stays warm. That's the first line of defense for your water lines. Hopefully you have tank heating pads or Yeti Option, otherwise your water tanks may freeze. I'm not sure how cold it gets in Lexington, but you don't want to risk your tanks.

We keep a 60w drop lamp running in the UDC to keep the water connections from freezing. For sub-freezing weather, you'll either need a heated water hose or put heat tape and insulation on a regular hose. Another alternative is to fill the fresh water tank during the day and disconnect the hose.

Keeping a 100W heat lamp running behind the basement wall (over the water pump and plumbing connections) will be important as temps drop toward zero. Just make sure it's mounted well so it can't fall onto the floor.

If you install a pvc sewer pipe, and put heat tape and insulation on it, you can leave your gray valves open without fear of creating an ice dam.

If you have an icemaker and/or water in the frig door, you'll have to shut off that water feed line in the basement and evacuate water from the line and frig. That water line won't survive a freeze.

If you'll be there all winter, skirting may be appropriate.

If you can rent a large propane tank, that will save the aggravation of frequently filling the tanks.

If you have slide awnings, you'll need to support them and plan on clearing the snow off them to prevent damage.

We've done it - you can too.

Fireliter

Our model is a San Antonio. No thermal windows. What are tank heating pads? What is a Yeti option? What can I do to make it warmer? Place a incandescent bulb over water pump and connections (2 bulbs)? Really ignorant of cold weather camping. In 2010 on a job in Kerrville TX we encountered snow in our Montana. We did fine. Now that we have the Landmark I wonder what to do to make life comfortable w/o burning up propane?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Fireliter,

The propane heat system in your Landmark has a duct aimed in the underbelly, so to keep your pipes warm, you have to run the propane heat quite a bit.

Do some research on Ultraheat. They sell tank heating pads. Heartland offers this as a option called the Yeti Package. If your Landmark came with the Yeti package, there will be a switch inside with all your other switches. These pads and heated tape help protect your tanks and lines from freezing, by targeting the areas most vulnerable.

Running your fireplace and adding some additional stand alone heaters will help cut down on propane use, and will keep you comfortable inside, but may not protect your pipes.

Dan's suggestions are from experience... if you are planning to live in sub-freezing temps for a while, you'll need to look into his recommendations.

E