Weighed the rig today

rgwilliams69

Out by the farm yesterday and weighed my 2012 F350 CC DRW for the heck of it - came in at 9460 - that's with two adults, two kids, no hitch, and about 28 gallons of diesel. I have the Reese Elite Series hitch that will add 150, and at max fuel (65 gallons) that would add another 329 or so. So ready to travel (I'll check it next time I go) should be just shy of 10k at 9939. Add 3k of hitch weight for my Cyclone 4100 King I'm at 12939. Good thing I have the 13,300 GVWR. :)

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I would never believed that a F350 4x4 4dr DRW weighed that much. Honestly that's about 1klb more then I would have expected. M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

rgwilliams69

I agree, that seems heavy. I'm going to scale it again at a different scale and make sure, but the scales at the farm are brand new and just about right on I'm told. Anyway no hurt in double checking. Probably going to take the entire rig on the CAT scales at the truck stop this spring to get a more detailed report. I'll re-post when I have the new numbers.

porthole

Retired
Out by the farm yesterday and weighed my 2012 F350 CC DRW for the heck of it - came in at 9460 - that's with two adults, two kids, no hitch, and about 28 gallons of diesel. I have the Reese Elite Series hitch that will add 150, and at max fuel (65 gallons) that would add another 329 or so. So ready to travel (I'll check it next time I go) should be just shy of 10k at 9939. Add 3k of hitch weight for my Cyclone 4100 King I'm at 12939. Good thing I have the 13,300 GVWR. :)

Puts it right in line with mine at my last weigh in - 10,820 pounds. That is with full fuel (65 gallons), hitch (about 300 or so) and aluminun roll top cover/ steel tool box combo. 2 adults 2 kids with fur.

I agree, that seems heavy. I'm going to scale it again at a different scale and make sure, but the scales at the farm are brand new and just about right on I'm told. Anyway no hurt in double checking. Probably going to take the entire rig on the CAT scales at the truck stop this spring to get a more detailed report. I'll re-post when I have the new numbers.

At the CAT scale you can and drop the trailer in the back somewhere and go right back for a "re-weigh" costs a $1 for the second weigh.

scottyb

Puts it right in line with mine at my last weigh in - 10,820 pounds

Wow! That's amazing. Where is all that weight coming from. At 10,820, that only leaves 3180 for pin weight. The 2013's have a 14K GVWR, both the F350 and F450. The F350 has a 6680 payload. That would translate to a 7320 curb weight. Considering that they bumped the GVWR up 700 lbs to match the F450, makes one wonder if these values are all on paper and they manipulate them at their convenience. Can't imagine a F450 having a lower payload capacity than a F350.

porthole

Retired
Wow! That's amazing. Where is all that weight coming from. At 10,820, that only leaves 3180 for pin weight. The 2013's have a 14K GVWR, both the F350 and F450. The F350 has a 6680 payload. That would translate to a 7320 curb weight. Considering that they bumped the GVWR up 700 lbs to match the F450, makes one wonder if these values are all on paper and they manipulate them at their convenience. Can't imagine a F450 having a lower payload capacity than a F350.

My 11 has a 13,300 GVW.
Forgot to add, there will a few pieces of firewood in the bed too :cool:

That particular weigh-in had the pin at 3380.

DW_Gray

First of all, as mentioned previously, weighing individual wheel positions is the best option. Unfortunately, locations for doing that is limited. You can find a list of providers at Fifth Wheel St.

Secondly, until then, the best worksheet and the only 13 point weight safety report is available at Fifth Wheel St.

Lastly, if attempting to weigh individual wheel positions at a single scale platform, it is very important that the surrounding area is level with the scale platform. If there is any slope, the accuracy will be degraded and worsens as the slope increases.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
, makes one wonder if these values are all on paper and they manipulate them at their convenience. Can't imagine a F450 having a lower payload capacity than a F350.

Actually, yes in a way. Using Ford as the example but this is true with all three. So when ford redesigns their super duty they design it to meet their numbers. More then likely they start with the actual net and grossed numbers and then design off of that. These numbers need to be able to compete with the competition for a given period. Maybe 5 yrs or so, but at least until the next major redesign of the super duty class.

Once they prepare the pickup for release to the public it is usually up to the marketing side to scale back the numbers such as GCWR and GVWR. As the competition increases their number through the next few years Ford is able to increase their numbers without spending millions to redesign the pickup.

So especially on a new released pickup, the advertised GCWR is much lower then what it really is. Latest example of this is with ford. No mechanical changes on the f350 but they just increased the payload for 2013. What I wish ford would do is make it retrospective to that model. But this helps increase sales by not doing this. But because they did this on the 13 model i know my 12 is equally capable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

mdamerell

I find this all totally confusing. I weighed my truck full of fuel with us in it and got 8,200#. According to my sticker I have a GVWR of 11,500# or 3,3000# left for hitch/cargo. My Rear GAWR of 8,250# leaves me about 5,000# to put in the box which is quite a difference from the 3,300# I calculate for GVWR. GCVW that I find is 20.000# on-line and owner manual. The difference between a SRW and DRW is 300# which is also interesting since they both have a GCWR of 20,000#. My trailer has a hitch weight of 1,770# so I'm fine there, GVWR is 13,820# (curb weight is listed at 10,408#). 13,820+8200=22,020# From what I read this is not that heavy of a trailer and I find it amazing that a 2004 F350 6.0 l diesel DRW with 4.10 axle (tow package) would be pushed to it's limit. When I'm loaded up in the spring I will have to weight this but I thought I had bought enough truck and now I'm concerned I'm it it's limit. It's interesting that when you look at the specs for the different configurations that they seem to cap out at 20,00#. The Ford data I can find lists a 12,800# trailer. Guess I pack light....

What all did they upgrade to get the numbers they post these days for the 2012?

lwmcguir

The real key to towing heavier trailers/coaches is to make sure the brakes work as they should. That being they will stop the trailer weight with no help from the TV. After that if you are OK on the pin the amount of weight you are towing really isn't a problem. As far as Ford upgrades the frame, brakes, springs and computer systems have all had major improvements. Some options for heavier towing exist as well.

DW_Gray

I find this all totally confusing. I weighed my truck full of fuel with us in it and got 8,200#. According to my sticker I have a GVWR of 11,500# or 3,3000# left for hitch/cargo. My Rear GAWR of 8,250# leaves me about 5,000# to put in the box which is quite a difference from the 3,300# I calculate for GVWR. GCVW that I find is 20.000# on-line and owner manual. The difference between a SRW and DRW is 300# which is also interesting since they both have a GCWR of 20,000#. My trailer has a hitch weight of 1,770# so I'm fine there, GVWR is 13,820# (curb weight is listed at 10,408#). 13,820+8200=22,020# From what I read this is not that heavy of a trailer and I find it amazing that a 2004 F350 6.0 l diesel DRW with 4.10 axle (tow package) would be pushed to it's limit. When I'm loaded up in the spring I will have to weight this but I thought I had bought enough truck and now I'm concerned I'm it it's limit. It's interesting that when you look at the specs for the different configurations that they seem to cap out at 20,00#. The Ford data I can find lists a 12,800# trailer. Guess I pack light....

What all did they upgrade to get the numbers they post these days for the 2012?

Okay, maybe this will help you understand. Use the FWS calculator and if the report shows all your numbers are green, you're good to go.

SRW axle system ratings are lower than DRW and there could be a difference in axle ratio as well. Some trucks can tow a heavy conventional trailer but cannot tow a 5th wheel near as heavy. It's all in the axle system rating.

DW_Gray

The real key to towing heavier trailers/coaches is to make sure the brakes work as they should. That being they will stop the trailer weight with no help from the TV. After that if you are OK on the pin the amount of weight you are towing really isn't a problem. As far as Ford upgrades the frame, brakes, springs and computer systems have all had major improvements. Some options for heavier towing exist as well.

I'm not sure if you meant what you said or was it an incorrect writing. Sure, you want good breaks on a trailer. But in the more likely event of a catastrophic trailer brake failure, your tow vehicle must be capable of stopping the trailer. Been there, done that!

oscar

Wrong. There are limitations in the owners manual and in placards on your vehicle. If you exceed these, for instance the allowable trailer weight or the GCVW, and someone gets hurt, or worse, dies....they are going to weigh the pieces and if you are over the attorney for the plaintiff is going to have a field day with you.

DW_Gray

Wrong. There are limitations in the owners manual and in placards on your vehicle. If you exceed these, for instance the allowable trailer weight or the GCVW, and someone gets hurt, or worse, dies....they are going to weigh the pieces and if you are over the attorney for the plaintiff is going to have a field day with you.

Okay, that's a little exaggeration. I've talked to an insurance adjuster and a CHP about weighing wreckage. There was an immediate laugh from both. By the time an attorney gets involved, it will be impossible to obtain an legally useable weight in court.

But yes, if in court one has been found to be negligent, it could be costly.

mdamerell

Thanks, I just find it interesting that SRW and DRW, V10 gas or diesel, 3.73 or 4.10, manual or auto GCWR is 20,000# period. Like someone said 20,000#, that should be enough and just drew a line. Looking at Ford's pdf file for the 2004's lists nothing about the towing option unless its assumed that it comes with the diesel and V10. I'll take a look at the FWS calculator I look at what others are towing and with what and it just makes me wonder. I use to look at people's TV's and trailers in the CG to get an idea of what I needed. Everyone kept telling me that I had more than enough truck but yet when I run the numbers...well... makes me think very few people actually know whats what up with their rigs. Driving big trucks over the years I've hooked a couple of trailers that pulled well but when you went to stop it was like "what the heck". The weight listed on the bills was not what those trailers weighted. Just like 4x4 in the snow. Getting moving is not the problem, it's the stopping part that counts. If not for these forums I would have been blissfully ignorant. Thanks everyone

lwmcguir

Didn't really intend to start down this road. All I am saying is that you should have brakes on the trailer you are towing that will stop the trailer and its load on their own. In the event of a brake failure the TV will have to stop the load. When that happens you have a problem if you are in a panic stop. You are going to have a wreck. You should abide by the ratings and that is why we dont tow a Large HL with an F250. The F250 can handle the towing and probably stop the rig almost as well as the larger trucks. Just isnt leagal and if you can avoid the leagal issue then that is the way to go. A lot of folks have F250 or equivalents and tow way out of the placcard / stickers and so on. What I am saying is you can tow a heavy trailer with an F150 but stopping it is more critical than towing. Maintaining the brakes is critical as well as making sure they stay plugged in and so on. We see a large percentage of folks on the road towing out of their rated capacity on their TV. Hopefully they have good brakes on the coach.

lwmcguir

I'm not sure if you meant what you said or was it an incorrect writing. Sure, you want good breaks on a trailer. But in the more likely event of a catastrophic trailer brake failure, your tow vehicle must be capable of stopping the trailer. Been there, done that!
Doug, I dont disagree with you. We have had air brakes fail on trailers ( if the brakes are set properly and work as designed they should lock up) and the Tractor sure couldn't stop the load safely without the trailer brakes. Just a situation you dont want to be in. The truck towing ratings are based on a lot of factors ( they arent designed to stop the towing load in a safe distance without assistance from the TV ) and the higher ratings will sure stop the trailer better but hopefully when it has to you have plenty of room. A heavy trailer with no brakes is going to push the TV to some extent no matter wheter it is a F150 or F550 and so on. I really like your weight calcuator and think it has helped some folks make good decisions, hopefully many more over time.