Weight Distribution Hitch or not?

smeagher

We just bought a 2012 North Country 29ODK. We are towing with a 2011 Chevy 3500HD Diesel Dually. The TT tong weight is less than #1000 and total trailer GVW is less than #10,000.

Do I need a weight distribution hitch? My first thought is no.
Is there any benefit to me using a weight distribution hitch considering the factors above?

My plan is to use an air hitch made by Shocker Hitch. I used this once before with a different truck and different trailer. Trailer was heavier and truck was a 2500HD non dually. I dont think that combination worked well. We had to much sag in the truck rear end.

Here is a link to the product we are thinking of using http://www.shockerhitch.com/index.php?pr=Receiver_Hitch

Thanks for your input.............

jimtoo

Hi smeagher,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

My personal opinion is yes to a weight distribution hitch with the anti-sway option also. I just think it takes alot of movement out of the trailer hitch/bumper connection.

Enjoy the forum and think about joining the Heartland Owners Club and attending rallies, meeting lots of great folks and eating lots of great food.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
YES, I would not pull any tow behind without one. Also, yes to the anti-sway bar. You never know when you will have a strong cross wind.

Tool958

Here is what we used on our last SOB TT. It was the same size as your TT. http://www.equalizerhitch.com/ I would highly recommend it. It isn't much more expensive than the hitch you are looking at. It is easy to set up and works exactly as advertized. We pulled in crosswinds and it pulled straight as an arrow with no sway at all. It was the easyist hitch I have used to hook up.

Last edited:

pegmikef

I wouldn't tow any TT longer than 21 feet without an equalizer hitch. I currently use an EAZ-LIFT WD hitch and it works very well when it is installed correctly.

Last edited:

GoinNorth

That is an interesting system and may work well for weight, but there's no way I'd pull 29' without some type of sway control. I don't know if there is an anti-sway that is compatible with that system.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Here is what we used on our last SOB TT. It was the same size as your TT. http://www.equalizerhitch.com/ I would highly recommend it. It isn't much more expensive than the hitch you are looking at. It is easy to set up and works exactly as advertized. We pulled in crosswinds and it pulled straight as an arrow with no sway at all. It was the easyist hitch I have used to hook up.

I 2nd the equalizer. Barely know the trailer is back there with the equalizer. Even in heavy crosswinds.

Manzan

Remember that any weight you put on the bumper takes weight off of the front tires which affects steering control. And since most of the braking is done by the front end, you lose some of that. WD hitch is well worth the cost especially if you factor in what not using one could cost you. I use a Reese Dual Cam Sway Control hitch that is now 23 years old and on our third trailer. Works like a charm. Have pulled in far stronger winds than I should have and the rig was extremely stable.

DW_Gray

The rule of thumb is anytime the trailer weight is 50 percent more than the tow vehicle you should have a weight distribution hitch.