Weight distribution hitch

Steve.Twoknee

Greetings one and all!
Let me begin by stating I understand the importance and purpose of a WD hitch and would never pull my Mighty Duck (or any TT for that matter) without one.
I currently use an equal-I-zer hitch, in fact this is the third camper with it. It has been a solid performer and I think I've done a good job of getting professional help in setting it up and maintaining it over the years. At this point it is, however, showing its age!
When is it time to replace the entire package? How do you know? What hitches are worth exploring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manzan

I am partial to the Reese Dual Cam Sway Control WD hitch. Like you, I have been using mine since 1989 and this is the third trail I have used it on. Of course, there are others out there with a plethora of adherents.

Todster

Used a pullrite 2k/20k for almost 10 years. Best hitch to absolutely eliminate sway affect on any tow vehicle

Steve.Twoknee

So it would seem that we (those of us pulling campers) tend to keep our hitch set ups longer than we keep our campers! Interesting. It does, at least for me, beg a question about lifespan. Clearly careful inspection is part of the equation, but even with that small fractures can be missed......

pegmikef

The only one I ever used was the EZ-Lift WD system and it worked well on both my TTs. I have since moved to a fiver.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We used our DrawTite WD setup with Reese sway bar for 16 years on three different trucks and two trailers and was still working like a champ.

Sold it all last summer as we will probable not go back to a bumper pull.

Here is the photo I posted on Craigslist:

WDhitchsetup-P1000277.jpg

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
My Grandad had used Equalizer WD setups since they (the company) started out and he always used one. I have used one on all of the heavy load trailers since I was a kid living on a farm in NC. We also used them on special haul trailers in the military. To point and in my own opinion and experience, I have only used one other brand of WD and I always found the Equalizer WD Hitch to be the best. It is always advantageous to ask others about their experiences so you can make an informed decision about replacement.

CarterKraft

I think as long as the bolts are kept tight and the movements greased they will have a very long life span, possibly only requiring replacements of small hardware items such as clips and pins.

All welds should be inspected for fatigue, cracking and flaking paint indicating high stress areas. A local welding shop or machine shop could probably do NDT (non destructive testing) on any areas of concern using dye penetrate, magnetic particle detection or X-ray.

Of course if we are talking a low budget hitch in the first place, upgrading to a better hitch might be a better solution.

Steve.Twoknee

Thanks to everyone for sharing. I really had no idea that we all pretty much keep our hitch assemblies for so long! My equalizer works just fine, but I do think I will replace the 'L' brackets that are bolted on to the tongue of the camper this year, as those show some wear.
Thanks again.