We're new 3260 Owners...

UPDATED 5/7/14: We're (really disappointed) 3260 Owners...

See update at end of thread.

Hello all! We picked up our new Bighorn 3260 yesterday.

The husband is very happy with how our truck pulls the fifth wheel.

Our old rig was a 29 foot travel trailer (which we loved.) It was getting old and we wanted a rig with more options, more room and more insulation.

I have to admit to a bit of buyer's remorse. There is so much that is new that I feel overwhelmed. I sat in there for a hour trying to figure where I want to put everything. (And came out about as clueless as when I went in!)

I know it will just take a few trips to get into the groove.

I just wanted to let you know that this forum has been really helpful. Thanks!

Mrs. I_Did_It_My_Way

Last edited:

jimtoo

Hi Mrs. I did it my way...:)

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

It will take you forever to get things where you want them,,, just ask my DW. It's always "I think it would be better over here".. so I move it... :) Just move your stuff in.. take a couple of days and everything will find it's place.

The Heartland family is here if you have questions and someone is always willing to help with suggestions or answers.

Enjoy your Bighorn and join us a rally when you can.

Jim M

OH,, I guess Dear Hubby is Mr. I DO it Her Way. ??? :)

So, we've had the Bighorn for a a few months and been a a couple of short trips. While the exterior and quality of materials are nice, we (especially my DH) are really disappointed in the construction of this unit. So many things DH has had to re-fit, repair or replace. Thankfully, he was in construction and a mechanic or we'd have been back to the dealer a lot.

We'd pull out bottom drawers and find loose and ill-fitting insulation or a piece of wood just hanging there for no reason. DH had to do some re-wiring and re-fit some of the pipes as they were sort of slapped in. The front door wouldn't close properly. The thermostat didn't work and he had to fix that. Screws are missing. Those little, wooden plugs keep falling out. One of the dining area chairs had a broken seat.

The reading lights get so hot, one can't place anything on a shelf above them for fear of fire.

Every time we run the heat, bits of Styrofoam blow out and he had to vacuum out the ducts. Only to find that the heating unit wasn't properly placed. Sawdust is everywhere, inside cabinets and drawers and also flies out from the ducts when we run the heater. (Aren't there any vacuums at the Heartland facility?)

Despite the glue sloppily slapped all over the slide out tops, the weather insulation strip still came out on the way home from the dealer.

It's like it was built on a Monday or something. No pride was taken in the inner workings of the unit.

Honestly, I've forgotten all the things he's repaired by now. He isn't too interested in taking in back to our dealer as he wants it done properly. The Bighorn is a pricey unit. Too bad the price is not reflected in pride of workmanship.

I haven't wanted to post here because it has been so annoying, all I would do is gripe.

Maybe we'll have it all ship-shape in a year or two. :(

kowAlski631

Have you talked to Heartland at all to let them know what you've found? Give them a buzz. Our BH 3670RL wasn't perfect, but we didn't have a long list as you do.

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

Have you talked to Heartland at all to let them know what you've found? Give them a buzz. Our BH 3670RL wasn't perfect, but we didn't have a long list as you do.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not quite sure what use contacting the factory would be. Are they going to apologize or give us some money back?

DH has already made most of the repairs.

jbeletti

I've passed your experience to the factory so they are aware of the build you received. Sorry that your DH is having to go through all of this to get the unit in shape. The Bighorn GM is going over this with production today. Again, my apologies and thank you for sharing. We will get on top of this at the plant.

Quilter

Full Memeber
We are 2014 Bighorn 3610 owners and we have had the same type of problems that you have had. We bought our unit new in August 2013 and were told what great construction it had and since we bought it at Camping World there would be no problem getting things fixed if we had trouble. Well, I can tell you that has not been so!!! By January we had a list of over 17 items that needed to be repaired and that doesn't include the drawer bottoms that my husband fixed (they were attached by staples and as soon as things were put in them the bottom came loose). One of the main items that needed replacing is the Microwave/Convection oven by Highpointe. When we took our unit in to be serviced at the Camping World in Louisville, TN where we purchased it, we were very specific that the microwave option worked fine but that the convection oven was not heating to the proper temperature (when set on 425 degrees, after preheating, the oven thermometer read 325 degrees. I almost ruined biscuits that I was trying to bake the first time I used it and that's why I tested the temp). Two weeks after we left the unit to be repaired we came back to pick it up to find out that the service person had only checked the microwave option and said there was nothing wrong with the unit. We knew that. They had never checked the temp for the convection option. We finally convinced the service person that the convection option needed to be tested so he had it tested and said we were right that it indeed did not reach the proper temperature and that he had contacted Heartland and they approved a new unit. Well, that would take more than a week to arrive at their store. We could not wait that long as we were on our way to southern GA to camp host and had to be there in 3 days. Plus we were living in the RV and had no place to stay in TN while waiting for the unit to arrive. The service person said that he had spoken to Heartland and that this approval had been added to our warranty claim. We are now in southern GA and the nearest Camping World is over 50 miles away. When we called Camping World in Byron, GA the person who handles the warranty claims said we would have to bring our unit in to have their service department do the test on the convection oven again as the Warranty Company would not accept a test made at another Camping World. That is ridiculous. They also said that there was no mention of the approval on our warranty claim as the service person in Louisville at stated there would be. I am really beginning to be very sorry that we bought a Heartland product. They don't seem to care about the customer or the inconvenience they put them through. For us to bring our unit to Byron, GA it will mean closing up, leaving our campsite, driving over 50 miles each way which will take at least one tank of diesel (almost a $100) just so a 15 minute test can be done. Then we will have to wait until they order a replacement and drive back to the Camping World in Byron to have it installed (another $100). If the correct test had been made when we had the unit at the Louisville store we would already have a new microwave/convection oven and wouldn't be having to drive all over to get it replaced. The person who handles the warranty claims in Byron said she was just the middle person between Camping World, Heartland and the Warranty company and there was nothing she could do. (She tried to get in touch with the service person who handled our claim at the Louisville Store but he did not return her call to verify that the test was done and the results). If that is the case then Heartland needs to step up to the plate and go to bat for us with the Warranty company. We should not have to traipse all over the place and spend our money on fuel just to get an appliance replaced that was not working correctly when it was installed. These appliances should be tested before turning the unit over to the customer. If I ever buy another RV, I will make sure that everything works correctly even if we have to stay at the dealership for hours. This experience has really taught us a lesson about the integrity of the manufacturer. They certainly should not say they have a quality product if this type of service is representative of their company.

I know this response is long but just wanted let people on the forum know especially those deciding whether or not to buy an RV from Heartland and Camping World to be extra careful and check out their units thoroughly before leaving the dealership.

Oh, yes I did speak to the person who handles warranty issues directly at Heartland and he said that if Camping World found that the convection oven was not heating properly I would get a new unit. Now he is telling the service person in Byron that another test has to be done. I would think that one test would be sufficient no matter what store it is done at.

Betsy (Quilter)

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I know this response is long but just wanted let people on the forum know especially those deciding whether or not to buy an RV from Heartland and Camping World to be extra careful and check out their units thoroughly before leaving the dealership.

Good advice no matter what brand you are buying. A thorough PDI can save a lot of aggravation down the road.

gvtahoe88

We are 2014 Bighorn 3610 owners and we have had the same type of problems that you have had. We bought our unit new in August 2013 and were told what great construction it had and since we bought it at Camping World there would be no problem getting things fixed if we had trouble. Well, I can tell you that has not been so!!! By January we had a list of over 17 items that needed to be repaired and that doesn't include the drawer bottoms that my husband fixed (they were attached by staples and as soon as things were put in them the bottom came loose). One of the main items that needed replacing is the Microwave/Convection oven by Highpointe. When we took our unit in to be serviced at the Camping World in Louisville, TN where we purchased it, we were very specific that the microwave option worked fine but that the convection oven was not heating to the proper temperature (when set on 425 degrees, after preheating, the oven thermometer read 325 degrees. I almost ruined biscuits that I was trying to bake the first time I used it and that's why I tested the temp). Two weeks after we left the unit to be repaired we came back to pick it up to find out that the service person had only checked the microwave option and said there was nothing wrong with the unit. We knew that. They had never checked the temp for the convection option. We finally convinced the service person that the convection option needed to be tested so he had it tested and said we were right that it indeed did not reach the proper temperature and that he had contacted Heartland and they approved a new unit. Well, that would take more than a week to arrive at their store. We could not wait that long as we were on our way to southern GA to camp host and had to be there in 3 days. Plus we were living in the RV and had no place to stay in TN while waiting for the unit to arrive. The service person said that he had spoken to Heartland and that this approval had been added to our warranty claim. We are now in southern GA and the nearest Camping World is over 50 miles away. When we called Camping World in Byron, GA the person who handles the warranty claims said we would have to bring our unit in to have their service department do the test on the convection oven again as the Warranty Company would not accept a test made at another Camping World. That is ridiculous. They also said that there was no mention of the approval on our warranty claim as the service person in Louisville at stated there would be. I am really beginning to be very sorry that we bought a Heartland product. They don't seem to care about the customer or the inconvenience they put them through. For us to bring our unit to Byron, GA it will mean closing up, leaving our campsite, driving over 50 miles each way which will take at least one tank of diesel (almost a $100) just so a 15 minute test can be done. Then we will have to wait until they order a replacement and drive back to the Camping World in Byron to have it installed (another $100). If the correct test had been made when we had the unit at the Louisville store we would already have a new microwave/convection oven and wouldn't be having to drive all over to get it replaced. The person who handles the warranty claims in Byron said she was just the middle person between Camping World, Heartland and the Warranty company and there was nothing she could do. (She tried to get in touch with the service person who handled our claim at the Louisville Store but he did not return her call to verify that the test was done and the results). If that is the case then Heartland needs to step up to the plate and go to bat for us with the Warranty company. We should not have to traipse all over the place and spend our money on fuel just to get an appliance replaced that was not working correctly when it was installed. These appliances should be tested before turning the unit over to the customer. If I ever buy another RV, I will make sure that everything works correctly even if we have to stay at the dealership for hours. This experience has really taught us a lesson about the integrity of the manufacturer. They certainly should not say they have a quality product if this type of service is representative of their company.

Oh, yes I did speak to the person who handles warranty issues directly at Heartland and he said that if Camping World found that the convection oven was not heating properly I would get a new unit. Now he is telling the service person in Byron that another test has to be done. I would think that one test would be sufficient no matter what store it is done at.

Betsy (Quilter)
A lot of us feel your pain. When you pay the big bucks you expect to purchase something that should be working when you pick it up. Its a good thing these guys don't build airplanes!!!

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Its a good thing these guys don't build airplanes!!!

Wonder how many people would fly in a plane that costs the same as an RV? I suppose you can find one but I sure don't want to travel around the country in it.

gvtahoe88

Wonder how many people would fly in a plane that costs the same as an RV? I suppose you can find one but I sure don't want to travel around the country in it.

It would probably be grounded all the time while they tried to decide who was going to be on the hook for the repairs. Just like the RVS.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Quilter,
Did you know that you don't have to take your rig to CW for a warranty claim?
HL will authorize most reputable repair facilities to make warranty repairs, as long as you get prior approval before starting any work.
They will also, in some cases allow repairs to be done by a mobile technician. However they will not pay for a mobile service call charge.

I have had much better luck with independent repair shops, because that is the only way they make money.
Therefore, timliness of repairs and your satistfaction is a priority for them.

I hope you are able to get it resolved soon and enjoy your rig. Trace

JanAndBill

Have flown in a lot of small planes over the years that didn't cost as much as my unit. As in all things, the price of something only gives you an ""expectation" of quality not assurance, and a well maintained "cheaper" unit will fly circles around a less maintained higher priced unit. That said, we had some issues with our BH 3260 in the beginning, but we took the approach that if it was something that I could repair in less time than it took to hook up and pull it back to the dealer, I fixed it myself. There were a couple of things that I pulled it back to the dealer on. Unfortunately it turned out to be a case of the squeaky wheel for us, and we squeaked a lot. In the times we dealt with HL I found them to be interested in resolving our problems. Any item this size and complex is bound to have a problem at times. However I feel the real problem lies with HL not doing a good enough job in staying on top of their dealers. From the dealer, to the sales people, to the shop, if they are going to represent HL, they need to know the product.

Quilter

Full Memeber
I was the squeaky wheel today, posted on this forum plus sent emails to both Heartland and Camping World. Because of this, Heartland is ordering a new microwave/convection oven and Camping World is going to handle getting it installed. We knew we would have to take our unit into Camping World for the installation we were expecting that. We are saving having to make the additional trip though. All in all the people I have spoken to today (they called rather than emailed) were courteous and anxious to solve the problem. I have much better feeling about both companies tonight then I did this morning. I still feel that there should be more quality assurance performed before the units are placed on the lots for sale. That includes the dealers as well as the manufacturer before delivering to the customer. In our case, if the microwave/convection oven had been tested for both the microwave and the convection temperatures being accurate we wouldn't have had this problem in the first place.

Quilter

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm glad you have a solution imminent!

I agree that we'd like dealers to be an extension of the manufacturer, but they aren't-- they really are the "customer" to the rv manufacturer. Also, the RV industry does not have the same accountability for construction and reliability like the automotive industry. The assembly is entirely by human hand -- and the number of units produced is nowhere near the auto industry.

So getting a product and system of support like the auto industry just isn't realistic.

We have to adjust our expectations, and then work within the system to achieve a "happy camper" solution. In our case, we fix as much as we can ourselves, and use independent repair facility for anything else. Owning an rv is not a passive hobby, but an active one.

I hope you get satisfaction soon, and can get back to enjoying your coach!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

So getting a product and system of support like the auto industry just isn't realistic.

I'm sorry but I can't accept this as the norm. If the manufacturer ordered new custom hand built office furniture, would they reglue the doors or drawers that fell apart, or send it back? If the dealer ordered a new hand built storage shed for their lot and the roof leaked, would they say that's ok we'll fix it, or would they demand it be fixed? The construction of a product by hand or machine should not reflect on the quality within, in fact over the years "hand built" has been synonymous with a better quality item. I feel that Heartland builds a quality product, but somewhere between where it comes off the line and at the point where it is delivered to the end customer, there needs to be a better job done on final inspections.

danemayer

Does anyone really expect that better quality control would ever include preheating the convection oven for 20 minutes or so to 425 and verfiying the temp is correct? If the appliance was for your home and was purchased from Best Buy, would anyone expect Best Buy to test the temperature accuracy of the oven before selling it? I doubt it.