Wet bolt failure

danemayer

Dan, I would like to hear your theory of what that underlying problem is. I know I'm confused because looking today, I discovered our shocks are damaged as well.

And this is after traveling 2400 miles with a fairly empty trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You've probably read my PM by now.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks, yes. Sent you a reply.

I emailed Our salesman at MorRyde and he said they would ship me a new wet bolt kit. I will be providing pics of the bolt failure and they will be investigating.

I urge anyone who has experienced this to let Rob Kolean at MorRyde know.

Rob.Kolean@morryde.com

olcoon

We had wet bolts installed on our rig at the Goshen rally in 2011. So far (knock on wood), haven't had any issues I'll lube & torque them every year. Last time I was thinking I probably need to check them to see if they need to be replaced.

TravelTiger

After all the problems y'all have had with your suspension, I think I would try to get a Heartland engineer and/or a MorRyde expert to give you some assistance.

Probably needed. Very frustrating.

mlpeloquin

Cross tying to equalize the stress on the front and rear spring hangers will help not having them stress crack and peal off. Ask me why I now know! Murphy bit us between 60 miles south to 90 miles north of of any service. I checked everything prior to leaving that morning. All looked great. I now have large angle iron beams welded across tying the hangers, front set and rear set, together.

IMG_1399.jpgIMG_1401.jpgIMG_1402.jpg

TravelTiger

Oh no! Sorry to hear! But a little glad we may not be the only ones. When and where did you install yours?

KenandKK

Oh no! Sorry to hear! But a little glad we may not be the only ones. When and where did you install yours?

I installed them (3axles) about 1 1/2 yrs ago, put a lot of miles on them, and , thanks to your posts I kept a VERY close watch on them. Rob responded almost immediately with questions and concern. I'm waiting for new bolts from e-trailer before I replace the broken one. So everything is currently on hold!

TravelTiger

He sent us new bolts, but we've only had ours right about a year. We lost correct-track plates too, so we had to buy a kit on the road with those parts for an immediate fix.

porthole

Retired

I installed them (3axles) about 1 1/2 yrs ago, put a lot of miles on them, and , thanks to your posts I kept a VERY close watch on them. Rob responded almost immediately with questions and concern. I'm waiting for new bolts from e-trailer before I replace the broken one. So everything is currently on hold!

Gonna git'er done in time ?

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I'm curious to know something. With this problem with the wet bolts, is there any particular point on the bolts where they are breaking which could indicate a weak point caused by a design flaw? The guy who works on my rig is installing a tie bar to reinforce the spring hangers and installing a correct trac a, new springs and shocks on it. He says this will help and I certainly hope so. I had the wet bolts installed a couple years age and have them lubed when he does the wheel bearings, just trying to prevent a breakdown on the road.

KenandKK

I'm curious to know something. With this problem with the wet bolts, is there any particular point on the bolts where they are breaking which could indicate a weak point caused by a design flaw? The guy who works on my rig is installing a tie bar to reinforce the spring hangers and installing a correct trac a, new springs and shocks on it. He says this will help and I certainly hope so. I had the wet bolts installed a couple years age and have them lubed when he does the wheel bearings, just trying to prevent a breakdown on the road.
The break is at the center grease port (not thru drilled) and upon further review, it may have been over tightened. 20180811_140942.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20180811_141129.jpg
    20180811_141129.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Maybe Dale F will jump in here.

They had a wet bolt failure 1 hour out of Goshen.
There was no bolt or correct track plates to study.
But, an inspection of the 3 remaining hangers found 2 of the 3 with the threads stripped.

So, over tightening was no doubt a cause there.
I think he said they were shop installed a year ago.

david-steph2018

We had disc brakes and the wet bolts installed during the rally. Hoping for no issues on our unit. Between the disc brakes, wet bolts and Skymed purchase it was an expensive rally.

porthole

Retired
Well, if they installed with a gun the nuts are probably over torqued or stripped.
Fine threads on those bolts.