Wet bolts in shackles

NHCelt

As a new owner I am still finding my way around, but was somewhat surprised that my 2016/BH did not have greaseable shackles from the factory. I've had shackle failures in the past, and will upgrade in a year or so, but is this new cost cutting? I was sure that I read somewhere that they came with wt bolts and heavy shackles?

Thanks...Celt

danemayer

Hi Celt,

Our 2011 Landmark came with the standard shackles and bolts. I remember at the 2011 North American Rally there was quite a bit of discussion about the value of upgrading to wet bolts and heavy duty shackle links. I did that in late 2012.

I can't say for sure whether Heartland has ever shipped wet bolts and heavy duty shackles on any models, but I doubt it.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My nylon factory bushings were worn through after 15K miles. I switched to wet bolts, metal bushings and the heavy shackles at that time. As far as I know every thing is still satisfactory at about 40K miles with that set-up. Well worth the upgrade in my opinion.

A few years ago "Never Fail" bushings were all the rage. Then after only one year, I was reading about failures with them. Trace

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I recently replaced my entire suspension with a Dexter Ultra Flex with greaesable shakles and equalizers. It does seem to ride smoother.

mlpeloquin

I purchased a set from Dexter at the 2015 Goshen rally and put them on when we got back. Good place to get up grades for your 5er. Cannot beat the prices. The original never lube for life bushings were warn. Several of them were paper thin on one side and two warn through and cracked in half. Two of the bolts were warn 1/8" through. The ride with the greased bolts is defiantly better.

brianharrison

I purchased a set from Dexter at the 2015 Goshen rally and put them on when we got back. Good place to get up grades for your 5er. Cannot beat the prices. The original never lube for life bushings were warn. Several of them were paper thin on one side and two warn through and cracked in half. Two of the bolts were warn 1/8" through. The ride with the greased bolts is defiantly better.

The bushings from factory are simple nylon, from my knowledge; there are Never Fail bushings that are aftermarket and claim to never need lubricating for life. I prefer the brass, wet bolt, heavy duty shackle kit. I did not have success with the NeverFail bushings.

Brian

Gary521

The Bighorn printed brochure I got from the dealer stated that they come with wet bolts. Have a little bait and switch going on??

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
The Bighorn printed brochure I got from the dealer stated that they come with wet bolts. Have a little bait and switch going on??

What is the date of the brochure? Back page bottom right...
My brochure, 1/16, makes no mention of wet bolts under "Tires & Axles".

Gary521

Get on Heartland web sit. Go to Bighorn page. Download PDF file that states "15 reasons to buy" I just reread the page about EZ FLEZ suspension. It states that the EZ flex comes with jerks and wet bolts. Maybe I was reading too much into this. Perhaps its only the EZ FLEX. Does this even come with wet bolts?

travelin2

Printed brochure and the website match "E-Z Flex Suspension" and the website does say wet bolts. But I think they are referring only to the grease zerks and wet bolts on the 2 E-Z Flex hangers. That's how the suspension is on our '14 BH. Shackles are dry...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

The EZ-Flex is the device in between the springs, with the rubber biscuit in the center. Some, maybe all?, EZ-Flex part numbers have zerks for greasing the pivot. The picture in the brochure doesn't appear to have zerks and the bolts as shown are definitely not wet bolts as they do not have zerks.

I think when discussing wet bolts, it's usually about the bolts that go through the shackle links, not necessarily about the mounting bolt for the EZ-Flex device.

It looks like the person writing the brochure didn't get it right.

travelin2

The EZ-Flex is the device in between the springs, with the rubber biscuit in the center. Some, maybe all?, EZ-Flex part numbers have zerks for greasing the pivot. The picture in the brochure doesn't appear to have zerks and the bolts as shown are definitely not wet bolts as they do not have zerks.

I think when discussing wet bolts, it's usually about the bolts that go through the shackle links, not necessarily about the mounting bolt for the EZ-Flex device.

It looks like the person writing the brochure didn't get it right.

There are grease zerks. They are on the top of the E-Z Flex brackets in between the hangers. There are 2 zerks for each side.
None on the shackles.
The writer's version is definitely misleading.

mlpeloquin

Relax. Every year you have to clean and grease the bearings. Have the bronze bushings and grease bolts installed at that time. The non greased bushings and bolts will last that long and it should not cost that much to have done. A disappointment for sure, but I too was stumped by what was on my 5er after delivery vs what I read in the flyers. After now owning one and if carefully read, one can see that it could seem misleading. But....