What antisway hitches are you using

saskrick

Just wondering what brand of antisway hitches some of you are using for TT. Please mention how you like it and if you have a comparison to other brands. I have a 2010 NT 31BDSS and recently purchased a reese dual cam hitch. I have not yet installed it. On another forum, I am seeing that people are trying the andersen hitch and liking it. Please comment.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
We have the Equal-i-zer brand weight distribution hitch which has built in 4 way sway control. Haven't had any swaying issues.

I have a 2010 NT 31 BDSS and Equal-i-zer also. No sway even with strong winds and heavy truck traffic. Very smooth towing. easy to hook up consistently.

JJOren

While we are currently towing a 5th wheel, in the past, we had bumper pulls. We used a Hensley Arrow. It's expensive, takes a bit of getting used to but once you do, oh my......would never, ever tow without one again. Google it. They are only available direct from the manufacturer.

ILH

While we are currently towing a 5th wheel, in the past, we had bumper pulls. We used a Hensley Arrow. It's expensive, takes a bit of getting used to but once you do, oh my......would never, ever tow without one again. Google it. They are only available direct from the manufacturer.

I have to echo what JJOren said - there is no comparison to a Hensley. I used to tow a 34 TT with absolutely white-knuckle sway issues. It was a two-handed drive. I tried various solutions and finally installed the Hensley. It was night and day! You often hear the expression 'I would forget that I was towing a trailer' - with the Hensley, it was true. I was able to drive single handed while being passed by trucks on a windy day.

Be aware that Hensley often has remanufactured hitches available at a significant price reduction. They are fantastic to deal with. That's the main reason I decided to go with their 5th wheel hitch when I bought my Road Warrior.

Last edited:

Urban350

I had a Blue Ox sway pro and it was ok till I got my Pro-Pride hitch and would never tow a tt without one again. Like the others have said about the Hensley it is expensive but worth every cent.

pegmikef

I use the eaz-lift WD 14,000 pound hitch for my NT26LRSS and have no sway (my truck also has antisway control so that may also be a factor). I used this same hitch with my Edge M21 and had no sway. I have never used any other type so I can't compare, but for the bucks I am very pleased.

saskrick

Thanks for the replies. Please keep them coming. This is a good thread for those new to the market or looking to upgrade. There is nothing better than personal experience. I did contact Sean at Propride and it sounds like those type of hitches are the best. I just couldn't justify the expense at this time, especially because I don't camp much or go that far for now. I hope the dual cam does good and it has the option of adding an extra friction bar if needed. I can post at a lter date when I get the chance to use it.

GOTTOYS

Thanks for the replies. Please keep them coming. This is a good thread for those new to the market or looking to upgrade. There is nothing better than personal experience. I did contact Sean at Propride and it sounds like those type of hitches are the best. I just couldn't justify the expense at this time, especially because I don't camp much or go that far for now. I hope the dual cam does good and it has the option of adding an extra friction bar if needed. I can post at a lter date when I get the chance to use it.
The dual cam is an excellent hitch. It's design eliminates the need for the friction type anti-sway devices and it is a couple of steps above that style of hitch. The dual cam as well as the Equal-I-Zer are are about in the same league and are surpassed only by the Pro-Pride and Hensley hitches in my opinion. I don't think there is enough information out about the Anderson hitch yet to determine how well it works. JMHO...Don

57chevyconvt

Like others have expressed, the Hensley Arrow Anti-Sway hitch is the best TT hitch, bar none. I still have the Hensley Arrow hitch, will be listing it for sale sometime in October at a much reduced price. I sold the Mobile Scout TT two years ago when we bought the Big Horn.

eddylives

I have a reese dual cam equalizer anti sway hitch and so far it is not doing its job on our new trailer.
Without it , just using the air bag suspension it was a sway monster on the highway and after I installed it the sway calmed down a little but would still get swinging at times.
Now it may be the added weight of the cross over truck box mounted on the pull out bumper so right now I am just in the process of figuring my sway issue out with this new trailer.
The other two trailers I have dragged around have zero issue , 84 Citation 26' and a 78 Glendette about 26' or so with nothing but a stock truck so it will be interesting to figure this issue out hehe.

GOTTOYS

I have a reese dual cam equalizer anti sway hitch and so far it is not doing its job on our new trailer.
Without it , just using the air bag suspension it was a sway monster on the highway and after I installed it the sway calmed down a little but would still get swinging at times.
Now it may be the added weight of the cross over truck box mounted on the pull out bumper so right now I am just in the process of figuring my sway issue out with this new trailer.
The other two trailers I have dragged around have zero issue , 84 Citation 26' and a 78 Glendette about 26' or so with nothing but a stock truck so it will be interesting to figure this issue out hehe.
Not enought weight on the tongue is usually the cause for sway. Try taking the box off the back and towing it. I bet you will notice a huge improvement...Don

eddylives

Ya I thought about that but since the box is almost empty(about 140 lbs)
I think it is reasonably close to the same load as 3-4 bikes that it is built for so i guess it is time to load some of the weight toward the front of the trailer and try again. We really need that box for what I refer to as dirty storage ,BBQ , oil , mix oil , fuel and such. I hated storing flamable stuff in the only compartment of our old trailer lol.

Edit: The new trailer flattened my truck the first time I hooked up and according to the paperwork stock tongue weight is 640 lbs , not sure if that includes two 30lb propane cylinders at 110lbs when full. And I know it does not include the dual batterys installed so without actually weighing it I am guessing 850lb tongue weight .
I also installed a set of firestone air bags to level the truck but it seems I will have to experiment a little to find the right combination to eliminate the sway issue.

Manzan

This NT is the third trailer I have used my Reese Dual Cam Sway control. 23 years and counting and it works beautifully. Eddylives, if your truck has to be leveled with air bags, it may be your spring bars are not heavy enough. When properly hitched, front end of truck and rear end should lower the same amount. Too light in the front end, because of too much weight on the rear, can cause sway also and dangerous handling in inclement weather.

PeternLiane

Right now we use a reese anti sway control. It works very well. A friend had me tow his trailer with the Hensley Arrow. It worked incredibly well. I am saving my money for one. I'm hoping that we'll have one before next season.

saskrick

The hitch I used is very dated. I have no idea what brand it is. I added a friction bar to it and it helped quite a lot. But, I don't think the bars were big enough and my truck was loaded or overloaded (97 f150 4x4). I never had trouble, but I'm used to heavy equipment. As mentioned, balancing right is key. I recently bought a f150 ecoboost and the reese dual cam. The truck will be near or at its limits, but hopefully I can get it within its ratings and I'm hoping it works fine.

This is a little off topic, but is food for thought. One thing I overlooked before getting the truck is its gvwr. Its 7600lbs, but it weighs 6000lbs with full fuel, so not much room there. These ratings to me are something that gets me though. How often do you see a tiny car with a 5 big kids in there and all is good. I looked at dads gm half-ton with a gvwr of 7000lbs. Since it weighs 6000lbs, 5-200lb guys could overload this truck:confused:. Seems odd.

PhotoPete

I have a reese Duo Cam and I love it. It keeps the tv and trailer in perfect alignment and I get zero sway, even passing or being passed by big rigs.

P

eddylives

Well just got back from the dealer's and it seems my reese dual cam eq. sway hitch is rated for about a 600lb tongue weight so its a little shy of the estimated 850-900lb weight of our new unit.
I am looking at a E2 equalizer sway bar set 1200lb set , very simple install compared to the reese I have now.
Anyone have or hear about this E2 by fastway?

CliffP

Just checking, did you have the hitch before you bought the Trail Runner of did your dealer sell it to you with the new camper?

eddylives

Just checking, did you have the hitch before you bought the Trail Runner of did your dealer sell it to you with the new camper?[/QUOTE

Hey cliff , I had the reese from my older trailer which it worked fine , the dealer never saw the reese until I was asking about the excessive sway on the hwy when bringing it in for warranty issues. I thought it was pretty beefy until the differences were shown to me lol , in my defence lmao I knew nothing about heavy TT hauling with half tons....just hauling round wood with transports weighing in at about 67000 KG hehe or 147710lbs in imperial measure.
I am looking at this E2 by fastway hitch now , looks easier to install and I have read no negative reports yet so??