What brand do you recommend???

nemo45

We have a 2005 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab, SRW, 2 wheel drive and 3.73 rear end. We are full timers so we really don't need a 4X4 and would suggest that if you don't need the 4X4 that you don't get it as it lowers your towing capacity. We have 68,000 miles on the truck which approx. half is towing our fifthwheel. The engine and transmission have handled the load flawlessly. Only maintenance done were oil changes and air filters. Still on original brakes. We recently replaced the tires, but probably could have waited at least till next spring but drove a piece of steel into one of them and decided to replace them all. One of the great things about this engine and rear end combination is that it gets better than 20 MPG solo highway. Of course if you buy new you can't get the 5.9 anymore but, the 6.7 is a proven engine that has been used in school buses etc, for years and the new transmission is great too and it comes with a standard jake brake. While the interior of my truck is a bit spartan it is comfortable and the new ones are much more up to date and user friendly. Even if Toyota comes up with a diesel for the US market you will be hard pressed to find a better diesel truck than what any of our US companies make.

lelandpa

The Dodge 6.7 has been having its fair share of problems(according to my mechanic) we will deffinetly be looking for a used 5.9

caissiel

I totally disagree with the 4 x 2 only requirements for hauling these units. This summer I could only park my 5th in a wet area. I put it in 4 x 4 low range and backed it in until the unit started to break the sod. When I wanted to get out I just put it back to low 4 x 4 and drove out, I travel in florida and we dry camp a lot and the sand there sure is loose enough to sink the rear tires. So far with this BC I had to use 4 x 4 to mount the trailer wheels on my leveling block. So now I just lock the front hubs and shift it on 4 x 4 low and let the pretty wife park the unit on the leveling block. When you have 16000 Lbs you need tractioin on wet grass and sand.

Drew

Are you planning on keeping the truck out of warranty? If so, then I would go with the Dodge. Pop the hood on all three and you will see what I'm talking about. I feel a Diesel should be an inline six. I would also get the 4x4.
I drove a ford f250 for years with an auto and went to a Dodge manual with no problem.

caissiel

I love my manual 6 speed too. I had a GM automatic, and it was my biggest worry, The temperature was alway climbing and the fan came on but it robs a lot of HP when you need it. It makes me smile when I look at my heat gauge and see how low my water Temp. is. So far I never heard the clutch fan come on my truck, and the max water Temp. has been around 210F

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
and what can you say about the Allison...it's just plain bullet proof! We weigh 28,000 pounds, and the Allision and the exhaust brake can hold 55 on a 7% grade and we NEVER touch the brakes...:D
Ken, what kind of RPM's do you see when going down grades like that? I get a little nervous when they get up around 3500 going down the hills and always fear if I touch the brakes again, it will try to downshift farther and the RPM's go thru the roof. :eek:

Delaine and Lindy

Allison Transmission....

I agree there is no better Transmission on the market today. I quit shifting the gears when I quit driving a Big Truck. The Freighliner has the big Allison Transmission, its somewhat larger than the pick up Allison. We pulled thru the Rockies with the GMC 3500Hd and a Cambridge 358 and our total weight was 25,600 much heavier than our Chevy 3500Hd and our Landmark was. Never ever had a heat problem and we were always stock (no gadgets, Duramax doesn't need them) just like it came from the factory. Heat problems are caused by the driver pushing that right foot to hard. As for 4 wheel drive, we will just have to agree to disagree. I never put any of my Trucks in 4 wheel drive, and I have never not been unable to go were I wanted to. But we do no boondocking or very rarely use State parks. We try to always be in a park that has concrete pads and for sure gravel roads. I just refuse to put our rig in the mud. And there is always a recovery (towing company) in the area. Its a lot cheaper that pushing 4x4 systems and all the extra weight. But again its a choice. GBY.....

tmcran

IMO if you can get the 4X4 get it. We were on a trip this spring and it rained a good deal. The first night we got soaked and without 4 wheel drive it would have been asking someone to pull me out or call the tow truck. The next night in Arakansa more rain. The grass and ground were soaked. With out 4X4 all I did was spin the tires on the wet grass. Put it in 4 wheel drive and out we went. After I got out a fellow RV,er could not get traction with his 2 wheel drive so I hooked on to him and pulled him upon the gravel. Over all on a 17 day trip i had to use 4 wheel drive 6 times. I have not owned a 2 wheel drive truck in over 20 years and I'll never be without a 4X4.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
After watching a DVD comparing the Dodge, Chevy and Ford Super Duty truck and how they are made I opted for the Ford. I am partial to them anyway. The video show the 3 brands in various parts like the size of the water pumps, size of suspensions, and the size of the bolts used to attached the bed. Ford was the only one using heavier parts, and was the only one where the bolt holding the bed was into the frame. All of them will do the job and it is an individual choice. BTW the video is available at the Ford dealer even though it was not made by Ford.

Rigmover06

Large Car,

Well for my .02 worth..

For pulling in the mountains and basic flatland running with all the creature comforts and keeping the kiddies quiet.
We went Peterbilt. 600 HP for the hills (What Hills??:rolleyes:)
18 speed with full lockers. Kinda like 4x4.
3:70 ratio 70 mph 1450 rpm
70" Sleeper keeps the kids and the dog away and quiet.
8" straight pipes keeps Bambi and others away at night.
300g fuel means looooong time driving before looking for a fuel stop.
Our last trip out we fueled up in Edmonton went to Calgary to Salmon Arm BC,back to Golden,south to Fairmont, back upto Golden,down to Vancouver area. Buncha bobtailling around the lower mainland, all the way home through the fraser canyon and up the yellowhead back to Edmonton. Fueled up in Edmonton took a whopping 246 gallons to fill.
Thats alot of miles and not alot of fuel considering.

caissiel

I have owned a 4x4 for 23 years, and only one was an automatic. When using a Stick the 4 x 4 low is very valuable, thats why I like the Ford locking hubs, you can have Low range without being on 4 x 4. I use this range for backing up the unit and once located I get the mrs to sit the trailer on blocks with the hubs locked. Yes she is great at parking this thing on an 18" long blocking.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Ken, what kind of RPM's do you see when going down grades like that? I get a little nervous when they get up around 3500 going down the hills and always fear if I touch the brakes again, it will try to downshift farther and the RPM's go thru the roof. :eek:

Hey Ray...I'll check with Ken to be sure, but I'm pretty positive that we hold somewhere between 2600-2800 RPMS...it may have something to do with the 444 rear in the C4500...:)

As for the 4x4...sure wish we'd gotten it, then we'd not have needed to be pulled out of the mud by a Ford at Escapade (sorry Tom...LOL:eek:).

I also have to disagree on the Duramax not needing a little help...prior to the Edge chip, it was quite sluggish on grades and in getting into traffic. Like I said we weigh 28,000lbs...the C4500 is close to 12,000lbs all by itself...may be a different story in a 1-ton GM product...don't know. Although we only run it on level 2 (out of 6 possible levels), it still makes a marked difference in the performance of the 6.6...The chip's been on this truck since right after we bought it in June of 07' and it's never been a problem, and was well worth the money with the increased performance...in our opinion.:D

nhunter

I wonder if GM "detunes" the 4500 series like Ford does to the F-550. Same engine just lower horsepower rating.

porthole

Retired
I totally disagree with the 4 x 2 only requirements for hauling these units. This summer I could only park my 5th in a wet area. I put it in 4 x 4 low range and backed it in until the unit started to break the sod. When I wanted to get out I just put it back to low 4 x 4 and drove out, I travel in florida and we dry camp a lot and the sand there sure is loose enough to sink the rear tires. So far with this BC I had to use 4 x 4 to mount the trailer wheels on my leveling block. So now I just lock the front hubs and shift it on 4 x 4 low and let the pretty wife park the unit on the leveling block. When you have 16000 Lbs you need tractioin on wet grass and sand.

HAs anyone tried letting air out of the tires on the sand?

When we take our pickups out on the beach we drop the air to between 10-12 psi. Never tried it with a big trailer though (most was about 6-8000 pound twin axle).

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
HAs anyone tried letting air out of the tires on the sand?

When we take our pickups out on the beach we drop the air to between 10-12 psi. Never tried it with a big trailer though (most was about 6-8000 pound twin axle).
I've done that on the dunes and areas like that with our Jeep but never have tried it with the 4x2 dually. I never even considered taking the trailer out on the beach at Padre. We used to go to Silver Lake MI, sand dunes. Mount Baldy as some know it by. What a blast. Right on the shores of Lake Michigan. We even used to do a little Red Neck Waterskiing behind the Jeep at the shoreline.:D

nemo45

I agree there is no better Transmission on the market today. I quit shifting the gears when I quit driving a Big Truck. The Freighliner has the big Allison Transmission, its somewhat larger than the pick up Allison. We pulled thru the Rockies with the GMC 3500Hd and a Cambridge 358 and our total weight was 25,600 much heavier than our Chevy 3500Hd and our Landmark was. Never ever had a heat problem and we were always stock (no gadgets, Duramax doesn't need them) just like it came from the factory. Heat problems are caused by the driver pushing that right foot to hard. As for 4 wheel drive, we will just have to agree to disagree. I never put any of my Trucks in 4 wheel drive, and I have never not been unable to go were I wanted to. But we do no boondocking or very rarely use State parks. We try to always be in a park that has concrete pads and for sure gravel roads. I just refuse to put our rig in the mud. And there is always a recovery (towing company) in the area. Its a lot cheaper that pushing 4x4 systems and all the extra weight. But again its a choice. GBY.....

At least there is one guy that agrees with me about getting a 4X4 and for all the same reasons. We camp practically the same style Delaine and Lindy do and since we are fulltimers could sit until things dry out if the cituation arose, but it never has. I have pulled out when there was heavy dew on the ground and never spun a wheel. Also I believe with SRW its harder to spin the wheels, take a dually out in the snow without using the 4 wheel drive and you'll see what I mean. I just don't see the sense in carrying the extra weight and less fuel economy for something I have never used since I began fulltiming, let alone the extra money to begin with. Now, if I spent the winters up north, things would be entirely different. Also, I can see abolutely no reason to chip these new engines that are putting out 350 HP and 650 ft/lb. of torque. You'll never make up the expense of the chip during the life of the truck and especially with a 4.10 or 4.30 rearend you certainly don't need more power, unless you have one of the heavier 15,000 to 16,000 lb. fithwheels and then you probably need an MDT or HDT anyway.

OTR

Thanks everyone for your comments. The truck needs to be a 4x4 due the areas of the country we live in. It also has to be an automatic so the wife can drive it since it will be our only mode of transportation. I guess it really boils down to which features you like on any of the 3 choices and of course the price. I understand that a MDT like a Sportchassis would be the ultimate TV but, can you even use a 5'er in the 4x4 model? And what about driving that as an only mode of transportation? I just laugh to myself thinking of the look on the valet's face when I go to a nice restaurant. Also, the price is just crazy on those things. Don't get me wrong you're getting a lot of truck with a luxurious interior and a commanding view while driving down the road.
I suppose it's time to make a few trips to the dealerships and see which one I like. I suppose that each manufacturer is going to put out a few bad trucks and maybe that is what I read online. Not very many people post online that their not having any problems with their truck. People mainly post something because they need answers on how to get something fixed. But, I'm a statistical person, I look at the number of issues people have to help justify my decision. I have also had many issues with cars and trucks that are "supposed" to be reliable. I've had a small 2001 Nissan truck that had over $10,000 worth of warranty work before it hit 30k miles and my wives old 2004 Honda Accord when through transmissions faster than tires. I guess I'll just roll the dice, buy an extended warranty and keep my fingers crossed:) Please keep the comments coming, I enjoy reading everyone experiences and suggestions.

OTR

I would like a Cummins engine, Allison tranny and a Ford Cab.

That is a combo I sure would like to try.

If this configuration were available I'd have a brand new FODGY (Ford, Dodge, Chevy) sitting in the driveway. Makes me wonder why Ford didn't sign a contract with CAT after they cancelled their contract with International. Could you imagine a Ford F-450 with a CAT diesel and an Aisin transmission:eek: I think this would have put the nail in the coffin for Dodge.

nhunter

If this configuration were available I'd have a brand new FODGY (Ford, Dodge, Chevy) sitting in the driveway. Makes me wonder why Ford didn't sign a contract with CAT after they cancelled their contract with International. Could you imagine a Ford F-450 with a CAT diesel and an Aisin transmission:eek: I think this would have put the nail in the coffin for Dodge.
They already have a contract with Cat for the F650, 750 and 850. Why they can't put one in F-250, 350, 450 and 550 is beyond me.