What did you buy the first night?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Awning lights huh? Any recommended ones or ones to stay away from? I hadn't really considered that other than "oh those are pretty." But I guess they're good for nighttime safety, huh? We'll need to check the heights, especially if we add straps. Eric is 6'4" and hits his head on all sorts of things. :(

Thanks for the feedback.

I like the functional ones (the ones that really put out some light) rather than the pretty/cute ones (that put out almost no useful light). Add a dimmer to the functional ones and you're set. Now that I've recommended this, I should probably so it myself :confused:.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Rubber gloves, for handling the dumping activities! Make sure the hose you buy is a drinking water compatible hose (usually white). A regular garden hose is fine for the sewer cleanout, (make sure it's NOT white, so you don't confuse the two).

As soon as you can, look into a surge protector for the rig. Either the kind you plug in at the pedestal, or one you add inside the basement. RV Park power is not a consistent as you would hope, and this is very valuable insurance to protect your from too much or too little electric current, which could damage your rig and cost thousands.

I've been looking at the surge protectors. I don't really understand electricity well enough yet and I want to make sure we get the right one for our rig.

We definitely plan on the gloves. Are currently trying to decide between reusable and disposable. I'm leaning toward reusable after the special we saw on plastics the other day. And after watching some youtube videos, Eric has agreed to get some rainboots. :) His feet won't fit into mine. LOL Not that he'd be caught dead in polka dots anyway.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I agree with the other posts. You have to have a good water regulator, wheels chucks, leveling blocks, White water hose (for drinking water), gray water hose (for gray and black tanks) and sewer hose w/coupler. Then you will need plates, cups and other kitchen stuff. You will need black tank chemicals (I use it some others don't, but I don't like the stink), trailer toilet paper and other bathroom stuff. Don't forget the food, spices, oils, utensils, pots and pans. Then you will need to make a list during the first night and run to walmart or another store.

Oh, that was the other thing. Leveling blocks... I see all sorts of plastic ones sold but are they worth it? I saw a tutorial on how to make them out of 2 x 12s with a nice pull handle and everything. What's everyone's preference?

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
You are getting list over load here for sure - but I agree with everything that has been outlined but would add as a minimum an inline filter to protect your plumbing.

Kevin

This is something else I've looked at. I'm very interested in filtration systems. Just need to do more research and learn what I need and how they work.

Thanks for the recommendation.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
A crying towel that I use every time I go to the pump to fill up the TV. Trace

boatto5er

I've been looking at the surge protectors. I don't really understand electricity well enough yet and I want to make sure we get the right one for our rig.

We definitely plan on the gloves. Are currently trying to decide between reusable and disposable. I'm leaning toward reusable after the special we saw on plastics the other day. And after watching some youtube videos, Eric has agreed to get some rainboots. :) His feet won't fit into mine. LOL Not that he'd be caught dead in polka dots anyway.

Your rig will have 50amp service. Cheap surge protectors only protect against surges. They don't check for low voltage (that can kill air conditioners and microwaves), ground faults (that can shock you!), and other neferious electrical gremlins. This is one thing you don't want to skimp on.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
A few years ago on our maiden trip with our new 34' TT we ended up spending close to $2K in supplies - from mats to chairs to kitchen supplies. Looking back, it was probably a bit of overkill - but we were pretty empty heading on vacation.

Next weekend we're heading off on to our 'shake down' trip in our new Road Warrior 305 - and for the most part we already have everything. I'm still figuring out the storage situation and sewage hose storage - but I'll work it out in time.

One suggestion that everybody seems to have overlooked is a corkscrew! Can't be without that!

Good call. I'll go put that on the table with the rest of the stuff we're packing. :) I also like those cutters that trim the wire sheathing off.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
If you don't have the level up system, I suggest the Roto chock/X-chocks. They go between the tires and help stop "spring" shake from the suspension quite a bit. Camping World and most bigger RV stores sell them. A little pricey, but worth it.

We sprang for the 6 point hydraulic leveling system... I'm assuming that has the level up system? Heavens I hope so. LOL That's what I wanted but by the time we'd revised the specs six billion times, I have no idea what we'll get next week. Hopefully a Big Country 3690! :)

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I like the functional ones (the ones that really put out some light) rather than the pretty/cute ones (that put out almost no useful light). Add a dimmer to the functional ones and you're set. Now that I've recommended this, I should probably so it myself :confused:.
Stupid question, but how do you add a dimmer?

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Your rig will have 50amp service. Cheap surge protectors only protect against surges. They don't check for low voltage (that can kill air conditioners and microwaves), ground faults (that can shock you!), and other neferious electrical gremlins. This is one thing you don't want to skimp on.

No. I definitely don't intend to skimp on that. Which is why we're doing all the research. There are just so many options. And it's not like a Craftsmen. I've heard of that brand all my life. When it comes to RV parts, I've never heard of any of them. :)

boatto5er

No. I definitely don't intend to skimp on that. Which is why we're doing all the research. There are just so many options. And it's not like a Craftsmen. I've heard of that brand all my life. When it comes to RV parts, I've never heard of any of them. :)
You can't go wrong with the Progress Industries model(s). The only decision will be interior mount (wiring required) or exterior Campground Electrical Box mount (can grow five fingers).

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Don't forget to bring a decent tool set for minor adjustments and fixes.

I went through our tools yesterday. Here's what I put in the toolbox:

Hammer
Mallet
Duct tape
Electrical tape (black and white rolls)
Double sided tape
Superglue
Flashlight
Wire cutter
Assorted wrenches and pliers
tape measure
Level
Extendable magnet (for when you drop screws)
Assorted screw drivers and tips
Caulk gun
Couple of clamps
Mini hacksaw
Digital meter
Outlet circuit tester

I have a set of sockets, a small electric screw driver, drill, and a black and decker set with all sorts of bits and allen(alan?) wrenches that are also coming but don't fit in the toolbox.

I need to find/add my wire snips and I think that'll be it. I've checked a few "rv tool checklists" but if you can think of anything else, please let me know. I don't want to bring too much, but I really (!) don't want to buy something we already own and just left at home. :)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2010augusta

Our first purchase was a second battery. it was at 2:00am and 12 *F outside and the furnace stopped. Luckily we were staying in a Walmart parking lot. found out later that the T.V. was not charging the 12 volt system due to a missing fuse.

JasonShrout

We made it from fort worth to Manvel yesterday evening and were coThis is our first time out and we are starting out as full-timers. Sure enough, we thought we had everything and wound up having to make the trip to Walmart.We needed a drinking water hose and a sewer kit (that smell came out of nowhere).Make sure you have glass fuses too. Had to do the foil trick to get the fridge going.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Our first purchase was a second battery. it was at 2:00am and 12 *F outside and the furnace stopped. Luckily we were staying in a Walmart parking lot. found out later that the T.V. was not charging the 12 volt system due to a missing fuse.

You're right. I think the big country only comes with one battery... That's something we'll want to add right away.

I've really got to figure out the electrical system ASAP. The idea that the truck can charge the trailer baffles my mind. Lol

You've also given me the handy reminder to go locate the fuse box on the new truck. Thanks!

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
We made it from fort worth to Manvel yesterday evening and were coThis is our first time out and we are starting out as full-timers. Sure enough, we thought we had everything and wound up having to make the trip to Walmart.We needed a drinking water hose and a sewer kit (that smell came out of nowhere).Make sure you have glass fuses too. Had to do the foil trick to get the fridge going.

Foil trick? Boy, I hope the dealer teaches us that.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Good to see you here, Alan!

On the tool list, though, I'd drop the standard duct tape and get a roll of Gorilla tape. Maybe even order some Rescue Tape. A folding utility knife/box cutter is a great thing, too. My quickie go-to tool is one of those multi-tip screwdrivers they sell at the check out counters. The kind that store the tips in the handle. I even carry one in my turnout gear.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
When we use up the last of the roll, I'll investigate Gorilla Tape. I really like the screwdrivers you mention. We have one of those. I prefer my flowered handle one that has a large and small flathead and Phillips. But it's probably due to the flowers, lol. I grabbed the box cutter on the second drive by the old tool bench. I'm going to miss that thing.