What do you like about having an RV Lock on your entry door?

jbeletti

I've been using an RV Lock on the entry door of my RVs for many years now. I can't recall how many I've had over the years, probably 5 or 6 of them on nearly that many Landmarks and now on my Sundance.

In order, what I like about having an RV Lock:
  1. Not having to carry the keys (I do keep one in the truck console - just in case)
  2. Being able to have a neighbor / friend let me dogs out if needed or in an emergency
  3. One touch locking when leaving (press and hold the lock button on RV Locks made in the last couple years)
I don't carry the FOB with me and haven't since maybe the first lock I had. I just don't like much on my key rings.

My RV locks aren't perfect and they're not indestructible - but they're pretty tough. I, like many have worn through the keypad membranes. I'll blame Nancy for this mostly. Longer fingernails can dig into that membrane. But their cheap and easy to replace. I once left my exterior door open in a rain storm and soaked the interior portion of the RV Lock. Not a happy ending. Still love my RV Lock!

By and large - I've had great success with them over the years and many RVs and prefer to never be without one.

So how about you - what do you like about your RV Lock the most?

Check out our 2021 promo with RV Lock - link.

Last edited:

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Pretty much the same, mostly the no keys aspect! We even have one on each of the baggage doors keyed alike. Keys and fob in the truck. Yes the membranes are weak though not sure I’ll throw the wife under the bus! Sun and heat are detrimental too as I’ve had one of the baggage door lock membranes fail me too

danemayer

Had our RV Lock for about 7 years now. I use the FOB while Ann uses her fingers. It's just like having keyless entry on your car/truck. Once you have it, you'll never want to go back.

I've also replaced the membrane. In 7 years I've had 2 other problems and had great support. Both times, the deadbolt wouldn't always open or close fully on the first try - had to press the button 2 or 3 times to open or close. Easy to fix and parts were either free or low priced.

Reactions: BLR

jmarnell

We love our RV Locks! I replaced all the locks on our Cyclone, both entry doors and storage compartments, so now only 1 key for the entire rig! The keypad entry is a great convenience, and so is the remote. I also really like that our locks are no longer the standard keys that every RV uses and everyone has so security is better. So far, we have had absolutely no problems with them. The only minor issue I had with installation was that the key latch locks did not come in a longer size to better fit the thickness of the door on our front battery/generator compartment, but with a little modification I got it to work.

david-steph2018

I just installed 2 on our doors 2 weeks ago while sitting in Rapid City, SD. They work great, really like that you only need the FOB to lock/unlock.
Installation took about 45 minutes for both locks, no issues having both on the same FOB. Now I am starting to consider getting the locks for the storage bays and generators area, but my generator has the 751 key instead of the lock like the storage bays.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Love love love our RV locks.
I have them on all of my doors and they work great most of the time. Basement doors seem to go through batteries a bit fast. 1 door more then the others. I only use them when we are at a campground were not familiar with.
Will never be without them.

Just waiting for the APP on my phone. Or we can go 1 step further and when my phone is near the RV all of my doors unlock automatically, and lock when I walk away. Now that would be ideal.

jmarnell

I just installed 2 on our doors 2 weeks ago while sitting in Rapid City, SD. They work great, really like that you only need the FOB to lock/unlock.
Installation took about 45 minutes for both locks, no issues having both on the same FOB. Now I am starting to consider getting the locks for the storage bays and generators area, but my generator has the 751 key instead of the lock like the storage bays.
They sell a replacement for the 751 key lock. It's the Key Latch Lock on the website under accessories. But that's the one I had an issue installing on our generator door as the lock mechanism isn't quite long enough for the thickness of the door. I had to hollow out a little material on the inside of the door to get it to fit, and then had to modify the catch by bending to fit. Took a little effort, but it worked. Now our generator compartment is on the same key as all the other locks.

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
Hello Jim, I bought the RV Lock that Kurt & Gail auctioned off at the Verdi Rally the past weekend. Looking forward to installing. Next will be baggage doors.

It was a great rally. Kurt & Gail hosted an absolutely fabulous first Rally. Missed you and the Jess's though. Remaining attendees are meeting tonight for dinner at BJ's BBQ to roast K&G.

Hi to Nancy, see you down the road & Safe travels,
George & Laura Smith

jbeletti

Hey George - thanks for buying the lock. As you know, it really helps the chapter.
Looks like it was a real fun rally. We’re having a great time with Heartland pals in Colorado Springs this week (follow me on Facebook).

Miss seeing you and Laura. One day :)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I was an early adopter of the Rv lock when they had the separate keypad, and it worked great! Then we upgraded to the all-in-one v4, and have actually moved it from one rig to another. Added the baggage doors as well! Service after the sale has been amazing, RVLock helped me troubleshoot a 4 year old lock with a dead keypad that failed due possible water intrusion, though no evidence of water was visible. They even sent me the part, free of charge. There are now some “knock offs” out there, but I know and trust RVLock will be around to take care of my needs. Who knows with those other guys!!

Matt750

We love our Rvlocks! We have them on our front and back door on the CY4007. I went with the compact versions only because I like the look of it better. This is one of those accessories that we didn’t necessarily need, but now that we have it, I won’t have another RV without it.

danemayer

On cars and trucks, we used to have to use a key to open the door. Then came key fobs. After having a key fob, who would go back to using a key? I wouldn't be surprised to see locks for RVs follow the car/truck advancement of "touch" entry where the fob is in your pocket. I've had that for years on the cars and trucks and would never go back. If RV Lock offered a lock where I could leave the fob in my pocket, I'd buy it. But use keys again? Not a chance.

Bogie

I love the RV lock. My dear wife never carries keys. Her solution was to ask me to lock/unlock the RV. A real problem if I wasn't right there. Now she doesn't need keys. A win/win for both or us.

LBR

One click unlocks/locks both of our CY V4 Compacts on doors, plus both doors on the pass-thru. A second click aimed to make sure the compartment on ODS is locked....done! Love them and the company support!!

sjandbj

We started using the RV Lock when they 1st came out and then added the cargo locks when they came out. I have had to replace the keypad membrane several times, they do not like the direct sun that was in Las Vegas and now in Tampa. The customer service cannot be beat. When I wanted all my locks keyed the same I was told that it was not possible but after talking to the tech guys there they made it possible. I have found the cargo latches do not like when water gets inside causing me to have to replace both battery holders after the batteries exploded. I thought that I would need to replace the entire lock but that was not the case. Once again there customer service came through and saved the day. I had to replace several parts over the years but the prices are fair and the service is great.I would buy them all over again even if they are at full price.

Steve

jbeletti

Don't know if anyone else has mentioned this or not, but I installed and like the one button lock feature that is availabe.
Love that feature as well. Hold the lock button for a couple seconds - and it locks! That feature came to be a few years ago.

marknewbill

I found an offer where they had refurbished RV locks, and since I didn't want to spring for the expensive price, I bought one of those at the half price point. I have been fully satisfied. cant tell it wasn't brand new. - it may have been returned for some reason like not fitting an application or something. it has worked great and gives my father something else to joke about (pushing a button on the fob to lock the door) since I am a tech guy and he is not... lol

SUPRPIG

We have a 2021 Heartland Sundance 293RL and am interested in the RV Lock Baggage Door Locks… they come in 2 sizes one for less than 3/4” door thickness one over 3/4” thickness. Our RV is out of town having some work done. Does anybody have one that can advise how thick the door is?

RoadJunkie

I'm not sure what contributes to the brittle nature of the keypad membranes, but I have replace many of them. The material used for the membranes is deficient and breakdowns quite often. RV Lock tries to point to erroneous operation (using finger nails or concentrated pressure), but we only use the "ball" of our fingers and the membrane still fails. Essentially, I feel, the membranes are not of quality material. I now will use the Black Friday sale to yet buy more of the membranes just to keep these units operational. They could give the locks away and just charge for the membrane replacements and still make money.