What do you think? Newbie..

ggrant119

Newbie here.....

My wife and I are new to the RV life. We are coming over from the boating world. Just purchased a 2014 F150 FX4 3.5 Ecoboost, (9600 Lbs tow)

About to pull the trigger on a 2014 Elkridge lite E275 fifth wheel with super glide hitch....

I know we are close on weight.. but don't want to purchase another truck. Also what I have read, sounds like we will be OK...

just looking for everyone's "2 cents" ... am I about to make a huge mistake??

-Gerry

danemayer

Look inside the driver's door for a label that shows Payload or Cargo Capacity or similar wording.

pegmikef

1190lbs passengers and cargo

The hitch weight alone on that fifth wheel is 1250 pounds and that is with the trailer dry meaning no propane, batteries, personal stuff. The dry weight of the trailer is only 7,990 pounds, but the GVWR (loaded) is 11,250 pounds. The rated towing capacity of your TV is only 9600 pounds. And then, of course, you have to add in the people, pets and stuff. IMO it is not enough truck.

bobw

Rv sales people will tell you anything to get you to buy the trailer. What you need to do is go to the ford web site and check the tow ratings for your truck. Remember that there are different limits for a 5th wheel and a travel trailer.

JanAndBill

I tried to find the picture of a wreck I worked this summer with a 2014 1/2 ton Ford pulling a 5th wheel. It was upside down in the ditch. Load ratings are based on equally distributed loads. When you are maxed out on load, any shift in weight (like the top of the trailer swinging over if you make a sudden lane change) will grossly overload that side, causing most people to over correct and loose control. I pulled a 29' travel trailer with a gross weight of 7500# with a 1/2 ton Ford with the small V8. It was all it would handle and never felt comfortable driving.

Last edited:

Gaffer

Find the rear axle rating for your truck. Fill it with gas and and run it over the scales. Be sure to get the weight of the rear axles. Add that number to the posted dry pin weight for the 5er. That will tell you how much wet or loaded weight you can add. Make sure you have capacity for this weight on your tires as well.