What do you wish you'd known before buying?

Speedy

Alice,

Don't let the backing the trailer scare you that much. I to came from a long history of towing trailers, allstandard hitch setups. This is our first 5er up from a 12 foot Jayco pop-up so yes I was nervous backing it into a spot for the first time. The campground host helped only to make it worse; I know this now because when Rana helps me back in (second time) she is paying attention to what the trailer is doing. Practice, practice and you'll become a pro. I have to because there is a group of WI members that really want to see me back our monster into a site at their rally in August.

Peteandsharon

Yeah, Alice. Don't let my comments deter you in any way. It's just a different beast than a travel trailer. It does not allow you the same view looking back as the TT does. Having said that, there was no spot I did not get into - sometimes with a little more maneuvering back and forth. And for every downside such as this, there is an upside. Many people would tell you that the fiver tracks better than the TT going forward. And the room inside is no comparison. So, enjoy that new rig and put it to a lot of good use. You won't regret it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My advice on backing up a 5'er is to pull up to the site, get out and survey it. Take a good mental picture and tell your spotter, if you have one, where you want the trailer to go. Pick a line and go for it. Good to use the little portable radios, too. Don't think you have to get it perfect on the first attempt, either. If you're not sure, stop, get out and take a look yourself. You may have to jockey it in to get it where you want it. Worst thing that you can do is have two spotters shouting directions at you.

porthole

Retired
I carry the radios, but I prefer the cell phones as long as there is coverage.
The driver can use the speaker phone and you eliminate the simplex issue - only one person speaking at a time. Plus it stops the "talking before the mic button is pressed" and the radio is actually transmitting.

DougS

Doug S
For backing, a helpful tool are those small traffic type cones to mark hazards and turning and stopping points. I carry 4 markers that the kids us for street hockey, under $5 for a set of four from Walmart sporting section. I have used mine many times for tight RV sites.

gebills

Eric and Alice; I think DougS has some good points referencing backing in. Pylon cones sound good, or, I've read where one RV'er used a special cord/rope laid down on the ground that he would attempt to follow with his RV wheels as he backed. My first attempt at backing the 5th wheel into a space was a tight campground in Cuivre River State Park in SE MO. I literally had my new Dodge 3500 in a ditch/ravine across from the camp site in the parking attempt. The sites were very tight and 39 foot of RV plus the Dodge was more than typically went into that site. I ended up with a ding in the upper right corner of the tail gate after backing up against a tree, in the ditch. My bro-in-law was doing the signal calling from in back of the RV, but it was me that backed into the tree. The RV came through it without a scratch.

What I wanted to convey to you was more in line with your origional question of "what do you wish you would have known before buying, or making your decisions on what to buy." I scoured this forum for more than a year, reading all I could regarding all of the hints, pointers, comments, etc. etc. etc., that I could before we bought our BH3455. As I see it now, (my vision is much better after we bought the RV), kind of in the order of importance, the following is my thought process.

1) Tires, or brand choice is quite important. Read up on the articles in the Heartland Owners forum on tires. My DW and I didn't before we bought. Now we have to go to great expense to buy a tire that we can roll down the road with more faith that one is less likely to blow out causing an accident. A tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is another important tool you might consider. It could save you a really bad day.

2) Had I known how mediocre the drum brakes would be, we would have had disc brakes installed by the dealer when the RV was new. As many forum members will tell you, you have to leave a very good distance between your rig and any one in front of you while driving down the road/freeways. Traveling 5 to 10 mph below the posted limit is also a good starting point. With the drum brakes that most RV's come equipped with, they can literally wear your nerves incredibly thin. The installation of disc brakes on the RV are worth much consideration.

3) Another option that I would likely have had the dealer install before we picked the unit up, is the auto-leveling system that is available from several different manufacturers. The forum members here have numerous suggestions on several different brands. We will be adding a leveling system within the next year or so.

4) One item that I wish someone could have specifically told me about, was the type of ride you will get with the 5'er connected to various truck hitches while moving down the road. I was so nervous and concerned about the type of ride we would see with the 5'er attached, I had a terrible time making a decision on the type of hitch and pin box to select. After reading so many articles in this forum, I made the decision to have Heartland install a Mor-ryde pin box at the factory. I also decided to not install an air-bag type 5th wheel hitch, but instead went with a Pull-rite super 5th hitch (a non-slider). The thought process was that I can sell a $750 hitch and buy the expensive $2400 hitch only if I have to. DW can get a migraine headache at the drop of a hat, so I was very nervous that any chucking or bucking would end up with me driving the rig and DW flying to our destination. I am tickled to say that the ride we get with the RV hooked up to our 3500 Dodge is literally better than if we had just the truck with low tire pressure heading down the road. We have had absolutely zero chucking or bucking issues since we started pulling with our rig. I am really pleased to say that the ride is a great, smooth ride pulling the RV with our setup. We do have some minor difficulty when parking, or unhitching the rotating style of hitch ring in the Pull-rite hitch, but probably no more difficulty than experienced with the idiosyncrasies of other hitch brands and styles.

5) One item we bought, that would have gone to a lower priority, is a generator we bought with the RV. We have yet to use it. I would like to pull and stay where we could use it, but I just seems like where we always end up is a site where we just don't need it.

The model of RV you select is pretty much a personal opinion/selection. DW and I had or "must have" list and we got what we had on our list. I would suggest you make your selection based on your "must have" list and not buy based on what is on sale this month, which is what we almost succumbed to but finally resisted the temptation to "buy what was on sale".

There are many more considerations as you move closer to selecting both the TV and the RV. The forum members in this article bring up some really good points. Make your notes to create your "must have" list, and move forward. Happy RV'ing. gebills. //heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon6.png

caissiel

My signiture shows the modes required to my 2 year old truck and trailers first six months of ownership. Since then with 20k miles on our unit it has been event and worry free. And similar modes were done to previous units since 92 for trouble free motoring. Not one truck I owned were designed for long distance towing and trailers included needed attention for my long trips south every year. So far trouble free for 20 years.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Thanks for the backing tips. Where did you guys practice? I've never been happier that we live on a cul-de-sac. :)

~Alice

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
My signiture shows the modes required to my 2 year old truck and trailers first six months of ownership. Since then with 20k miles on our unit it has been event and worry free. And similar modes were done to previous units since 92 for trouble free motoring. Not one truck I owned were designed for long distance towing and trailers included needed attention for my long trips south every year. So far trouble free for 20 years.

I am all for trouble free motoring!

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Eric and Alice; I think DougS has some good points referencing backing in.

Wow! Thanks for all that. Definitely some things to consider. Do you think your lack of generator use is because of where you've been staying (ie. east coast vs. west coast?) We're doing research on all the cities and places we want to see. It looks like having a generator out west would come in handy.

~Alice

gebills

Eric and Alice, I feel that if you plan on spending more time in state parks than in private RV parks or resorts, you might find yourself falling back on your generator.

As a routine, when we head out for an outing, be it a weekend or a month, we're pretty careful about where we stay (i.e. clean site, reputable, some sense of security, pull-through sites, etc.). We like to see some good reviews from previous users before selecting a site. Selecting a good site, in my mind, is inclusive of having a 30 amp or 50 amp hookup. If you find more remote locations (i.e. state parks amoung others) that you wish to explore in your travels, you are likely going to be using a generator; so it can't be totally discounted. When we go out for an outing, whether just DW and myself, or with kids and grandkids, we search for a park that has a good line of ammenities (power, sewer, cable TV, wifi, sites with reasonable drainage, playgrounds). As a routine, we stay where there is power available. Since we have a 3000watt set, I'm looking forward to using it; we just haven't found that place yet. Most of our travels have been in the midwest, on down to the south U.S. and the west coast. I believe that it is simply more that when we look for a site, be it overnight or a month, we want a RV site with the ammenities to go with it. Happy Travels, gebills.