What have I done??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Pete & Sharon, I have had my '08 for almost 2 yrs and have never experienced anything like that. Sounds like some good info coming out of the forum. I would make sure that the dealer does right or contact Ford. They are very protective of their truck's reputation. Ijust had the updates added to mine which shows when it regens. I have not experienced any problems when it regens (about every 400 miles the way that I drive) except a drop in the mileage. I hope you can get it fixed soon to start enjoying your new truck.

Peteandsharon

Thanks again to all. I will check the fuel filter for junk (and gasoline). I had a similar water drain in the 7.3 so I'm familiar with the concept. It's interesting that you mentioned sitting on the lot because I checked the sticker inside the drivers door last night and was very surprised to see that my truck was built in May of 2007. So my truck has been sitting in dealers lots for almost 2 years!!!???? This was astounding to me. Maybe nobody down in TN wants to buy a 4X2 or something but that is amazing to me. It can't be good for an engine to sit for that long.

On a side note, can somebody tell me where the PCM lives on this truck. On my old truck it was very obvious under the dash on the drivers door side. I looked all over for this one.

Thanks again,
Pete

RVCamper

PCM I think is under the hood, up near the fire wall. You should be able to see a collection of 109 wires going to it. The main power and high amp fuses are on the drivers side, under a quick release. It may be near there..

Btw: Here is a good source of info: https://www.motorcraftservice.com/

Peteandsharon

Thanks again. I'll look. I want to set the codes for the keyless entry (what else have I got to do with the truck at this point?). I was not given the factory set code which you need to set your own code. The literature says it can also be found on the PCM so off I go.

I did drain the forward fuel filter. I drained a good half quart and it was as clean as a whistle. If this were a urine sample, they would send this patient home. It had no dirt, no water that I could see, no goobers, boogers, creatures or anything else swimming in it. And it had the sweet smell of diesel. I primed it with the key a few times and then started it up. It didn't clatter as loud but still ran rough and the check engine light is still there.

At least I have reassurance that they didn't kill me with unleaded but it doesn't show any blockage either. I guess I'm done being a shade tree mechanic. Not much fun under the tree in a snowstorm anyway. Thanks to all of you for your input. I guess I'll just call the dealer tomorrow and let the guys that are paid to figure this out do their jobs.

Pete

RVCamper

Oh that code.. the code for the doors is behind the radio! Not really possible to find that one on your own. The dealer will have written this down in the deal jacket (likely). However, since you have to have the check engine light cleared, the code is available on the WDS / NGS from the OBD II 16 pin connector under the dash. Dealers can see the code, but repeir shops should not be able to. (At least this was the case when I was orginally on the SAE commitee)

tmcran

You can go to Auto Zone and they will read the code for you. Get a code reader. I found a good one at Auto Zone and you can also clear the codes with it.

Peteandsharon

I can't drive the truck to autozone so that won't work. I was looking at autozone code readers and there is a wide disparity in prices and I suppose you get what you pay for. I have no need to spend $200+ since I would rarely use them. They have one for $69 but I'm suspicious of that one being of any quality.

Sthramann

If you would like to do some more quick research, check out this list of Ford Forums. I'm sure you'll find one that includes your truck. I've used the form for my F250 2003, 6 liter, it is very helpful. It might just be a useful site for ongoing information.

Best of luck; I hope this is just a brief bump in the road. -- Steve

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

skyguy

I had a cable assembly (don't recall exactly what it went to) that was underneath one of the valve covers, come loose one time. I suddenly went from 8 cyl to 4 cyl and talk about rogh running - and NO POWER, The slightest grade became a real challange.

As I limped into the repair center, a couple of techs knew right away what the problem was, just from the sound.

Here is the forum I get the most help from...
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/

Good luck - we're all waiting to hear what the problem turns out to be!

Al S.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I know Ford had some issues with the cam sensor. When mine went bad it was as though I had bad fuel. Rough idle, rough running, sometimes it would die. Seems like a longshot on a new truck but there was a recall on them.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hey Pete,
I just got a recall for my ford f-250 for a new regens. Have the ford dealer come to your house and pick it up. Sounds like they didn't perform the recalls on your truck that has been sitting for 2 years. Yuck! Ford is really great about keeping their trucks up to speed. That's also why I bought the extended warranty. LOL

jmgratz

While your truck is in the shop have them check for all recalls that are outstanding on your truck. There could be more.

Peteandsharon

Thanks guys. I just made arrangements and the tow truck comes tonight at 7:00. I'm out of state so Sharon has tow truck duty. They will be taking it to the local Ford dealer instead of the one that sold it but they are communicating. I was looking at a TSB online last night myself having to do with the PCM that probably applies to my truck. Good point to have them apply all applicable TSBs and recalls. I will definitely mention that to them.

Peteandsharon

Well, they came and took my truck away tonight. I wasn't there but I understand it barely fit on his flatbed. Since I couldn't be there and Sharon couldn't be there, I asked a friend to meet the tow truck driver and he backed the truck out of the garage for the tow truck driver. My friend, who is not a gearhead in any sense of the word actually made a very interesting comment when I spoke to him afterwards. He said that when he started the truck it felt to him like one of the engine bolts had come off. The interesting thing about his comment is that this is the only thing that I can think of that would explain the bizarre set of symptoms. It is the only thing that would explain an engine that bounced so much but didn't sound like an engine that was laboring. It made the truck bounce and all I could think was that the wheels were messed up. It eventually got a check engine but probably only after shaking itself to death. I may be hallucinating but hmmmmm.......

Peteandsharon

One other thing is that I did at one point here a "thunk" before we got wobbly. That is another reason that I thought I may have a flat tire.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
We've experienced a similar issue on an '04 model with about 6000 miles. It had a wiring harness recall in 2005 that we did not receive. By the time we got it taken care of, we had damaged an injector and I thought the engine was going to fall out of the truck. Thankfully, it was all warranty.
Ask the dealer to verify that all recall and mechanic advisories have been performed. Don't forget to ask about Mechanic advisories. That's not a recall, but a known problem that does not warrat a national recall.

Peteandsharon

Lord Lord Lord!!! Were it only so simple as a broken engine mount!! I think the NTSB has a term for engine problems that lead to crashes. I think they call it a catastrophic engine failure. The preliminary report that I get back from the Ford dealer is that my brand new F250 has 3 cylinders with zero compression. Their current thinking is that I will need a complete new engine. I pointed out to them that there is a recall out there for trucks that were built in KY at exactly the same time that mine was built where three injectors were wired wrong (reverse polarity). These were in cylinders 1, 5 and 7. Coincidentally three cylinders. See where I'm going with this? They say that it has no bearing on this case. Regardless, I suppose I have a decision here. Do I want this truck with a new engine or do I tell the dealer to take a hike and gimme back my old truck. I wonder if this falls under the lemon law. One major problem vs. recurring problems......... I dunno. I'm deflated!!!

jmgratz

Well if they put a new engine in it you will have a brand new engine instead of one that has been sitting on a lot for a year and a half. We have a Ford Exployer Sport Trac that the transmission cratered at 2000 miles and we got a new trans. Still going strong at 110000.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
This is a new truck,right?And the engine will be replaced on Ford's nickel?If this is the case I say go for it.And as has already been said,you will have a new engine instead of one that has been sitting on the lot,idle,for a while.I know that once you get this engine thing behind you you will love your truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.