What hitch should I buy?

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
I went ahead and invested in a Reese 24k Signature Series with the Power Puck mount. I did the installation myself and hardly had any parts left over! Does anyone know the pin height on the 2010 Augusta? (should get the production schedule on Monday!) We'll be towing it with a 2008 F350 SRW 4x4 crew cab short box. Thanks to all for the advice and opinions; it steered me away from a slider and encouraged me to go with the heavier hitch.

2010augusta

I have my 18K SS set so the height of the cross plate is 49" the makes the top of the hitch when flat at 54". Hope that helps.

sidney dreyfus

We have had several 5th wheel hitches, including the top of the line IMHO, the Trailer Saver air ride hitch. However we now have the B&W turnover ball with the companion 5th wheel hitch. It can be removed by one person in about 10 minutes and when removed you have a clean Truck bed and don't have to put plugs in to cover 4 holes like some other brands. You also will have the ability to pull a Gooseneck trailer. The hitch is rated at 18,000 lbs for the 5th wheel hitch and 30,000 lbs for the Gooseneck. I recomend the B&W over all the other Static hitches. Good Luck with your choice. GBY.....
Delaine,
I also have the B & W companion hitch. The only problem I am having is a lot of forward and backward movement which makes the ride a little uncomfortable especially on cement roadways with expansion cracks. Is there anything you know of that can make my ride a little smoother by reduceing this back and forth chucking?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The Mor-Ryde Pin Box is designed to reduce chucking. Trail-air has a new one out for that too. I have the Mor-Ryde and love it.

sidney dreyfus

Jim,
Did you have that back and forth motion before you switched to the mor-ryde pin box? How does it manage to reduce the forward and backward chucking? Does it use air suspension?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Yes, I had lots of chucking before changing out from the Trail-air hitch to the Mor-Ryde hitch. The Mor-Ryde hitch uses a big chuck of solid rubber to prevent the chucking. Prior to getting the Mor-Ryde hitch we were getting so much chucking it was not a comfortable ride. It is okay now. There is nothing that I know of that will stop 100 per cent of the chucking but Mor-Ryde get 95 percent and what is left over is minimal. Here is the link
http://www.morryde.com/php/products/pinbox/index.php

caissiel

In my 15 years of towing 5th wheel trailers, I have never seen so much attension on the hitch of the units. I had 2 Gm's that had the right springs in the back that the truck rode like a caddy onces the trailer was on. I sold the truck after 150,000 Miles on the original shocks. I now have a F250 with reiforced springs in the back and it rides like ****, the tug on my neck is awfull. I went to remove the extra leafs and have a broken original truck ply, so I left the extra leaf to hold it until I can get a new spring, besides it soften the ride. The GM was going down 2" when connected to my 2000 Lbs empty trailer pin weight. I am getting a new 3500RL and will surely have less loaded pin weight then my old trailer has. So the extra leaf will surely disapear and the ride quality will get back to the GM setup I had. I also see airbags installed in the back of trucks, they only loosen the leafs and give you a jerky ride like most 1/2 tons have. Air bags without traction bars allows the differential to move up and down. I believe in the Caddy ride and and the old style solid hitch will serve me well.

I saw a truck with air ride and hitch air Pin and when we was riding around the park you could see the trailer moving up and down, thats not for me. Transports have solid pins and they surely put more miles then I do.